Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Haircut in San Francisco?

Haircut in San Francisco?
parallax
Admin Emeritus
Jul 26, 2005, 12:26 AM

Hey guys, just need some quick advice.

I'd like to get a haircut before work tomorrow (I'm in SF for the summer) but I have no clue what my best option is and I can't really find much information on the web. Too late to call the places, as well.

Looking for something cheap (~$15 or less) and relatively good. Either in the Mission (close to 24th St.) or Civic Center.

Thanks!

[edit: I'm male]
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 12:58 AM

$15? I suppose there's SuperCuts... :/

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 26, 2005, 01:07 AM

Don't go to a chain...

Actually I'm getting my pastor's wife to cut my hair these days. She actually IS a hair dresser, or was full time before they went into ministry. And she did a better job tonight than any of the stylists I've had before... probably because she knows how much I care about my hair . She had this cool razer (not the electric type) that she used at one point to texturize it... twas good... I love the look of it too. It looks a lot like mine normally does, but it's just a bit better... actually I should take a photo... I look almost sexy in a still kinda fat way...

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Jul 26, 2005, 01:12 AM

If you wanted to go over to the East Bay I could recommend the place I used to go in High School, but other than that I don't know anywhere in that price range (other than SuperCuts...).

Now if you want drink, on the other hand.

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by parallax
Hey guys, just need some quick advice.

I'd like to get a haircut before work tomorrow (I'm in SF for the summer) but I have no clue what my best option is and I can't really find much information on the web. Too late to call the places, as well.

Looking for something cheap (~$15 or less) and relatively good. Either in the Mission (close to 24th St.) or Civic Center.

Thanks!

[edit: I'm male]
A little hole in the wall at 16th and Mission about two doors from the PayLess Shoes on that side of the street. The older guy (looks Chinese or Philipino) will give you a VERY decent haircut. He even made a less than classically handsome guy look great! $10 or $12 something like that. The women are good too, but the guy is better. GREAT DEAL FOR AN UNDERPUBLICIZED GOOD VALUE!

Also, you can always reference CITYSEARCH in any big city to get the local scoop on most anything like that.

Finally, if you go to http://maps.google.com/ then enter the location & the intersection (ex. "16th and Mission in San Francisco CA"). Finally, click "Local Search" in the links at the top of the map and enter Hair Cuts or Indian Food or whatever.

Please let us know how it turned out for ya.

Enjoy!
( Last edited by mojo2; Jul 26, 2005 at 02:18 AM. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

parallax  (op)
Admin Emeritus
Jul 26, 2005, 02:07 AM

Thanks mojo, we'll see what happens. ;-)

Do you remember the name of the place and what time it opens?
"Against stupidity, the gods themselves contend in vain" (Schiller)

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 02:24 AM

Thanks mojo, we'll see what happens. ;-)

Do you remember the name of the place and what time it opens?
No and no. I was looking at Google Maps b-cuz they often list the businesses nearby when you do a local search and access a particular kind of business. The shop I go to wasn't listed. It's a clean little place with no frills and they keep the lights off during the day to save $$. They could charge a LOT more for their cuts but they seem to do well enough to pay the rent at that high rent location as well as employ 2 -3 cutters by keeping prices low and catering to the huge ethnic market who doesn't have the $$ to spend on a frou frou $50 hair cut.

If you go there right before work and they aren't open then no other shop would be open either.

Just try it and you'll see.
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 02:32 AM

The Payless Shoes info is 2001 Mission St. 415-626-2656. The hair place is 2-3 doors down from the shoe store on the same block and same side of the street across the street from the 16th/Mission BART Station.

quesera
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 26, 2005, 04:21 AM

If you're willing to go down to Palo Alto, the barber shop on University Avenue was one of the best I've ever been to, I hope it's still there.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jul 26, 2005, 05:43 AM

Looking for something cheap ...and relatively good. [edit: I'm male]

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 26, 2005, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cubeoid
*snip*
Cubeoid
Addicted to MacNN

report abuse
I've always pronounced it, aus - TRAIL - yuh

Only recently have I considered it might actually be spoken, aus - TRAL - ya

How do you blokes and (what do you call your women, Betty's?) blakes (???) pronounce it?

Cubeoid
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 04:14 AM

Ostre(elongated e)iya

mojo2
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 04:24 AM

Os tree iya???

Forum Links
Forum Rules