Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen image on a 12'' PB

Screen image on a 12'' PB
andre1970
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 02:05 AM

Hi all,

Being a newbie (PB 12'', 1.5GHz 1.25GB RAM), I would like to ask something which might be obvious to some of you:

Is there any way to slightly adjust / rotate the screen image on my PB 12''? I am not referring to an external monitor, just the image on my computer's 12'' screen. It seems that it is slightly tilted to the right.
Alternatively, is there any way to stretch the screen image in a way that it hides the black bands between it and the aluminum case?
Nothing really serious, but it bugs me now that I have noticed it!

Thanks a lot!

ism
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 25, 2005, 02:26 AM

That sounds dodgy (not normal), I'd get it checked out/replaced since it is new. Good luck.

andre1970  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 03:46 AM

Thanks a lot ism for your reply.

I'll see if I can do something about that. I've been using my PB for 4 months now, but it is only recently that I noticed this "irregularity". It is really slight, about 1-2mm of a tilt, but I'm just curious if this is a defect or something acceptable (at least in the statistical sense, i.e. that cannot be guaranteed to be made more precise)

One more question: Does my default warranty cover this type of "problem"? I have the 1 year "standard" warranty provided with the purchase of a new mac. Forgive my ignorance, i'm a newbie to mac (and MacNN!) just converted being a long-time thinkpad user.

Thanks again!

Fusion
Senior User
Jul 25, 2005, 10:35 AM

Yeah, your warranty would cover something like this. I would really have that checked out, I have never seen anything like that before.

irus
Forum Regular
Jul 25, 2005, 01:01 PM

All 12" iBooks and PowerBooks have this, and there isn't much you can do. Has to do with the mounting position of the LCD inside it's casing. And before someone says that their computer is "normal", look hard enough and you will see it.

amazing
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2005, 03:54 PM

Everything's completely straight and square with my 1.33 12".

Try this: Open a Safari window (Excel will do just as well, if you've got it.) Size the macnnforum window so that the window goes to the bottom edge of the screen. Grab the top edge of the window and move it down until one of the bottom Safari window lines encounters the bottom edge of the screen. Are these two things parallel?

Next, move the window over to either right or left side of screen. Are the Safari window and the screen frame parallel?

Please report back if you don't get absolutely parallel results.

andre1970  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 25, 2005, 06:20 PM

Thanks to all for your insights and hints!

I tried your hint amazing and indeed things are perfectly parallel as you may suspect. My OP however was about whether the screen image's edges are completely parallel to the aluminum frame's edges. Both the screen image and the aluminum case may pe perfect squares but my impression is that they are not symmetrically nested, i.e. having their edges parallel one-to-one.
I think irus sees exactly what I am talking about.
Thanks!

PS you don't have to open a Safari window to notice that, just when you have it on, lift your laptop so that the keyboard reaches the level of your eyes always looking at the lower black band of the screen (the one between the screen image and the aluminum case). Lift it up to the point where this black band starts disappearing. In my PB, the black band disappears first from the right part of the screen, while in the left part there is still some 1-2mm of a residual.

TFunkadelic
Forum Regular
Jul 26, 2005, 07:25 PM

wow, I'm amazed you could have ever had spotted that. It's such a minor offset, well, on mine anyway.

andre1970  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 10:03 PM

Indeed, sometimes it just happens that one notices strange things when they have to stare at a screeen for hours!

cSurfr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 27, 2005, 09:23 PM

I had the same problem with a 1.33GHZ 12" right out of the box. It seemed that the display decided to drop a bit inside the frame during shipping. I went right back to the apple store and they replaced it on the spot under the DOA policy. If your screen is that noticable (you'll see it the most during the grey boot screen), take it back immediately and have it replaced. Of course, if you've had the machine past..10 days I think it is, then Apple will just repair the machine for you.

-cs

senon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 28, 2005, 02:22 AM

Today, I just got new ibook 12 and unfortunately, have same problem. Mine has 2mm black band between the real image and the frame for each sides (left, right, top, bottom).

Can the apple get me the replacement under the DOA policy?
Also, I'm really wondering if it can be eligible for the replacement.

Thanks

irus
Forum Regular
Jul 28, 2005, 08:26 AM

I don't understand what the problem is. It's not a defect, but merely a design element.

Forum Links
Forum Rules