Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Need help with OS/file-renaming issue...

Need help with OS/file-renaming issue...
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Dec 2, 2008, 05:22 AM

Ok, this's probably a lame question, but I'm not sure how to fix it. I've looked through the menu options and there doesn't seem to be a toggle for it.

Anyhow, here is the issue:

Typically, when you click on a filename, within about 1-2 seconds, the blinking cursor shows up and you can edit the filename.

In my case, something got fouled up and now, if I click on the filename, it won't bring up the cursor until a long 6-second count.
If I try to rename it using Get Info, it sometimes works and sometimes doesn't work (it helps if the original folder containing the file isn't present, I have to close it, otherwise, when I'm renaming, it'll sometimes rubberband and return to the original filename).

How do I fix this? I can't stand it anymore!
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 2, 2008, 09:22 AM

I'm not sure what you're doing, but I can't reproduce either a 2-second or 6-second delay. If I want to rename a file, I click on it to highlight it, then press "return", which changes to filename edit mode...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2008, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
If I want to rename a file, I click on it to highlight it, then press "return", which changes to filename edit mode...
Same here. But if you have selected a file and click on its name again you can edit it. The delay in my case is less than a second.

This delay can be adjusted in Sys Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse > Double-Click Speed. Mine is set very high (two clicks have to be very close together to be registered as a double-click) and hence the delay to rename is low.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 2, 2008, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Same here. But if you have selected a file and click on its name again you can edit it. The delay in my case is less than a second.

This delay can be adjusted in Sys Prefs > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse > Double-Click Speed. Mine is set very high (two clicks have to be very close together to be registered as a double-click) and hence the delay to rename is low.
OK, that makes more sense. I've done that too and haven't worried about how long to wait. I guess I got well-trained by Windows and how odd the double-click timing can be. I hate when I accidentally double-click a file I'm trying to rename...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 2, 2008, 11:56 AM

Just FTR, in Windows you can hit F2 to immediately rename w/o waiting for the delay. It's a typically unintuitive MS solution to a problem they created themselves in the first place.

Forum Links
Forum Rules