Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 33)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2012, 03:09 PM

Report: Sony mulls, but ultimately rejects online-only console | Ars Technica
With the video game industry rapidly transitioning from a focus on retail game sales to a marketplace dominated by downloads, it's only a matter of time until a major home console decides to do without physical media at all. It seems that Sony thinks that time is not nigh, however. A report from the Wall Street Journal suggests the company briefly considered but ultimately rejected a plan to do away with an optical disc drive on the next PlayStation.
No shit.

Microsoft cited similar bandwidth concerns in confirming that it's next system would also have a disc drive, according to the Journal report.
Good. Done and done.

Leonard
Professional Poster
May 30, 2012, 03:14 PM

I just wish that they wouldn't require the disc to be in the machine, if I've copied it to the HD.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 30, 2012, 03:22 PM

I get why I need to put the disc in after a HD install but why in the world does the disc still need to spin like crazy(BF3 I'm looking at you)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Kevin Bogues View Post
I get why I need to put the disc in after a HD install but why in the world does the disc still need to spin like crazy(BF3 I'm looking at you)
That's the new verification method that they put in the new disc format that was created to prevent piracy.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 30, 2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's the annoying verification method that they put in the new disc format that was created to prevent piracy.
Fixed

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 04:24 PM

Better than online only verification. At least you can pop it in and go under your own terms, unlike a game that shall not be named (Diablo III, LOL). I've had more issues with those damn servers hitting the crapper when I want to play than I care to say. I I got so annoyed I created a Europe and US, character so my odds are a bit better. They have officially lost me as a customer going forward. They can join Ubisoft on my sh*t list.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 04:24 PM

Have you noticed that it also starts spinning when you go through certain menu options, like the config section before joining a game. Why? WTF does it need to read when you go from your soldier to tanks to aircraft?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2012, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Better than online only verification. At least you can pop it in and go under your own terms, unlike a game that shall not be named (Diablo III, LOL). I've had more issues with those damn servers hitting the crapper when I want to play than I care to say. I I got so annoyed I created a Europe and US, character so my odds are a bit better. They have officially lost me as a customer going forward. They can join Ubisoft on my sh*t list.
The sad thing is, this is exactly what everyone feared would occur and its been happening since day one. Where do you go from here? Because "hitting them where it hurts" will never, ever happen.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 04:34 PM

Consoles should move first to both disc and download content: all games for that platform must be available in both formats. And, the download option should give everything that download services like Steam already provide: pre-ordering and pre-loading, unlimited deleting and re-downloading, and installs on multiple consoles. That way, the download service is actually giving *value* to customers and developers.

Pre-loading in particular would make game devs a lot of money.

Since games can be so huge now, games should be designed so that they could be cut up into 3 or more chucks, so when a user downloads a game, it downloads the first 2 GBs or so and is ready to play quickly, and the rest can be downloaded overnight or when the player progresses far enough into the game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2012, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Consoles should move first to both disc and download content: all games for that platform must be available in both formats. And, the download option should give everything that download services like Steam already provide: pre-ordering and pre-loading, unlimited deleting and re-downloading, and installs on multiple consoles. That way, the download service is actually giving *value* to customers and developers.
Without a doubt they need to start next-gen having all games available as Day 1 downloads. Will they have the balls? Who knows. They also need price parity. At the least.

Since games can be so huge now, games should be designed so that they could be cut up into 3 or more chucks, so when a user downloads a game, it downloads the first 2 GBs or so and is ready to play quickly, and the rest can be downloaded overnight or when the player progresses far enough into the game.
I think I've said this before, I don't see how this works for games like GTA or BF3 and COD.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 04:41 PM

The sad thing is, this is exactly what everyone feared would occur and its been happening since day one. Where do you go from here? Because "hitting them where it hurts" will never, ever happen.
Agreed. Until the majority go through with not supporting it, there isn't really anything that can be done. I'm not so attached to anything, to not walk away, personally. Some of the apologists in their forums for this I really don't understand. For me, there are other games out there that don't do this that I will be looking into. I'm going to give Torchlight 2 a big look over, as I hear it's pretty good. The original team that created Diablo 1 and 2, are behind it.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 04:45 PM

Without a doubt they need to start next-gen having all games available as Day 1 downloads. Will they have the balls? Who knows. They also need price parity. At the least.
This is exactly how the PS Vita system works. Every game must have both mandatory. I also thing demos are as well, at least all so far have demos. Some look like the full game, and if you buy you just get an unlock code. Resistance: Burning Skies just came out and both the game and demo are 3.1GB. For a console with a possible 15GB download, I can just hear bandwidth caps just crying. LOL

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 30, 2012, 04:55 PM

Agreed. Until the majority go through with not supporting it, there isn't really anything that can be done.
I just don't see things changing. One of the very things that are bemoaned (fragmentation) are the same thing that keeps them alive when they start alienating customers. We saw it with DLC, then Day 1 DLC, then Online Passes, and now this. I just don't see how it gets better. Companies already have admitted that the latter two fail at their intended purpose, but they're not stopping.

In an infinitely connected/infinite bandwidth/infinite speed future the solution could be an OnLive type system, but that is a long way off.

I'm not so attached to anything, to not walk away, personally. Some of the apologists in their forums for this I really don't understand.
I'm not sure I want to know.

This is exactly how the PS Vita system works. Every game must have both mandatory. I also thing demos are as well, at least all so far have demos. Some look like the full game, and if you buy you just get an unlock code. Resistance: Burning Skies just came out and both the game and demo are 3.1GB. For a console with a possible 15GB download, I can just hear bandwidth caps just crying. LOL
Sony definitely looks to be the more forward thinking on this ground. Rumor has it they're acquiring some kind of online gaming service (Gaikai?).

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 05:28 PM

I have a question for all you savvy gamers, regarding on-disc DLC and pre-orders.

On-disc DLC is not popular. But what about the following example: for iD's RAGE, if you bought the game on pre-order, you were given some extra content (the sewer missions, extra equipment). This content was on the disc, obviously, but only those who pre-ordered it were given a code.

I think this is very different from the usual circumstances of on-disc DLC. In those other circumstances, customers were being denied content on the disc without paying extra, while with RAGE, customers were being given free additional content if they pre-ordered, which late adopters could access with a fee.

Either way, the developers have carved off a piece of completed content. They put it on the disc to save the pre-order customers the trouble of downloading it, and to save themselves the trouble of have two separate products (pre-order discs and normal discs). Does it really make a difference that it's on the disc, when really the developers are just trying to give pre-order customers free content without the hassle of a download?

Does this matter to anyone else here, or am I splitting hairs?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 05:37 PM

I think I've said this before, I don't see how this works for games like GTA or BF3 and COD.
It would work for a game which has a clear progress of content, but not for something completely open.

I suppose a game like CoD could have a first few levels of the single player campaign, and then either all the multiplayer levels, or just a sample of the MP levels. Then the rest of the MP could download that night.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 05:59 PM

To me personally, I f*cking HATE DLC. IMO, it's pretty much just the companies locking out the user mod communities and charging us for it, but that's another story.

Bottom line, if the content is on the disc, it has been approved and completed so, charging additional to unlock what is already there is just a ripoff. Essentially, you are paying $80 for a standard game now (additional $20 DLC charge), and they didn't have to do any extra dev work, as it was already part of the package. This seems more an offset of the costs the publisher is screwing them out of, IMO.

Penalizing people for not preordering, with any type of extra content is pretty lame as well, more so when its split up across different retailers. Then they come back and try to charge you additional later to get it.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 06:14 PM

Bottom line, if the content is on the disc, it has been approved and completed so, charging additional to unlock what is already there is just a ripoff. Essentially, you are paying $80 for a standard game now (additional $20 DLC charge), and they didn't have to do any extra dev work, as it was already part of the package. This seems more an offset of the costs the publisher is screwing them out of, IMO.
So if they had done the exact same thing, except making it a free download instead of on-disc DLC, that would be ok with you? When the outcome is exactly the same?

Penalizing people for not preordering
How about rewarding people who pre-order? They could do the standard $5-off for a pre-order, but that's not very special. Being rewarded with exclusive content is a nice perk, more special than keeping $5 of your own money. Of course, it stops being exclusive once the perk becomes available for everyone.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 30, 2012, 06:42 PM

So if they had done the exact same thing, except making it a free download instead of on-disc DLC, that would be ok with you? When the outcome is exactly the same?
If I sell you a car, then charge you to use the radio and A/C, are you okay with that? The car came with a radio and a/c and I expect to use it it, being I just bought the car with a radio and a/c in the dash. It's not costing you anything extra to provide it. Its already there and calculated into your cost, so why should I pay extra for it.

How about rewarding people who pre-order? They could do the standard $5-off for a pre-order, but that's not very special. Being rewarded with exclusive content is a nice perk, more special than keeping $5 of your own money. Of course, it stops being exclusive once the perk becomes available for everyone.
Having $5 off for preordering would be great being they are going to nickel and dime you for DLC, anyhow. That's similar to what Best Buy does for BluRay movies, usually the first day they come out. I'd be curious to see how the numbers look overall by doing a first day discount, then going back to retail the second day. I know I've purchased a few games in the past for -$10-15 on the first day sales.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
May 31, 2012, 01:37 PM

New Gears of War Coming at E3

-------
Looks obviously like a prequel based on the image from Game Informer.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2012, 01:47 PM

It would work for a game which has a clear progress of content, but not for something completely open.

I suppose a game like CoD could have a first few levels of the single player campaign, and then either all the multiplayer levels, or just a sample of the MP levels. Then the rest of the MP could download that night.
Yeah, doesn't sound like it would work for the majority of popular games.

How about rewarding people who pre-order? They could do the standard $5-off for a pre-order, but that's not very special.
It's more special than some custom weapon skin. And less infuriating than having different exclusives at different retailers, precluding you from getting them all.

Being rewarded with exclusive content is a nice perk, more special than keeping $5 of your own money. Of course, it stops being exclusive once the perk becomes available for everyone.
Exclusive has more value, but depending on what it is, it either is unfair or completely trivial. Timed exclusivity is ok, but decreases value, and honestly, having been on both sides of it, isn't that impressive.

I kind of like what EA did with BF3 and having all the early copies granting B2K ($15) for free. Arguably, that has now been devalued by the Premium service they have decided to launch, but whatever.

On the other hand, NFS:HP had a limited edition as well, and late adopters got screwed out of cars, which I don't care for.

To me personally, I f*cking HATE DLC. IMO, it's pretty much just the companies locking out the user mod communities and charging us for it, but that's another story.
I like DLC (FPS would become stale without fresh infusions of maps), but I really hate the pricing structure. Thanks to MW2, now all DLC is $15 when it was $10, and completely trivial items (like weapon skins) cost $3. Hell, look at BF3s "shortcuts". $25 to unlock everything, and you still have to unlock the attachments yourself. Absurd.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2012, 02:21 PM

It's more special than some custom weapon skin. And less infuriating than having different exclusives at different retailers, precluding you from getting them all.

Exclusive has more value, but depending on what it is, it either is unfair or completely trivial.
I can't decide whether the pre-order DLC for RAGE is trivial or unfair. The added Sewer missions were pretty bland and repetative compared to the rest of the content, but I still did all of them because decapitating mutants with the wing-stick is just so much fun. The extra equipment probably made the early part of the game a little easier.

I like DLC (FPS would become stale without fresh infusions of maps), but I really hate the pricing structure. Thanks to MW2, now all DLC is $15 when it was $10, and completely trivial items (like weapon skins) cost $3. Hell, look at BF3s "shortcuts". $25 to unlock everything, and you still have to unlock the attachments yourself. Absurd.
Well, the DLC for RAGE was only $10, but I would guess it's a lot smaller than CoD/BF DLC packages. I'm not a CoD/BF player, so I'm not sure.

Have I mentioned that I really, really want more DLC for RAGE? I've played the game thru twice and I still want more. Definitely the most underappreciated game in recent memory.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2012, 02:40 PM

Definitely the most underappreciated game in recent memory.
Odd, I can't say I remember clearly, but I thought it drew a lot of ire for some reason? (I'm safely assuming the reason is "glitchy")

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2012, 04:23 PM

Odd, I can't say I remember clearly, but I thought it drew a lot of ire for some reason? (I'm safely assuming the reason is "glitchy")
There were some graphics problems on the PC side at launch, but they were fixed pretty quickly. I waited for the Mac version, so I didn't live thru that experience.

It's kind of strange what gamers will complain about but still buy the game. Lots of games experience problems at launch but still make boatloads of money (cough D3 cough). But the problems with RAGE were quickly fixed with a patch, while the always-online requirement and server-side lag of Diablo 3 will never go away.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 31, 2012, 04:52 PM

...and now the predictable anti-climax.

Settlement reached in Call of Duty's billion dollar West v. Activision lawsuit | The Verge
The courtroom showdown between the creators of Call of Duty and publisher Activision won't be happening. Attorneys involved tell Polygon that the case won't be going before a jury and that it has been resolved.

An attorney representing Jason West and Vince Zampella, former heads of Call of Duty developer Infinity Ward, says a settlement has been reached in the suit but that the terms of that settlement are strictly confidential.
Surprise!

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2012, 05:39 PM

^Damn that was over quickly. I was hoping for a real bloodbath, dirty laundry, Kotick in gay orgies etc etc.

P
May 31, 2012, 05:40 PM

Let's hope the settlement is at least big enough to show up on their next quarterly statement.

(Honestly I hope it's big enough that Kotick is tarred and feathered and run out of the building, but that may be too much to hope for.)
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2012, 06:42 PM

The Humble Indie Bundle V (pay what you want and help charity)

Wow, that's an amazing bundle, including 3 games I already planned to buy soon (Limbo, Bastion, and Psychonauts). I already played Amnesia, which was truly the scariest game ever made.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2012, 02:11 AM

Bottom line, if the content is on the disc, it has been approved and completed so, charging additional to unlock what is already there is just a ripoff. Essentially, you are paying $80 for a standard game now (additional $20 DLC charge)
I remember paying $60 for games on SNES. Considering in the last 20 years with inflation and price increases on overall goods, I'm surprised games don't cost more. Hell, fuel has more than doubled in the last decade. Can you imagine if the same happened to video games?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2012, 02:12 AM

-------
I'm guessing it's Marcus with a shaved head. Remember, he was in jail at the beginning of the first Gears.

If it's as good as GOW3, I'm definitely down.

Oh and it looks as they confirmed Deadspace 3 as well.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2012, 02:18 AM

Check out this bad ass collecors edition copy of Aliens: Colonel Marines...

- High Quality Resin Powerloader Figurine in Limited Edition Xeno Hive Box

- Four Playable Movie Characters
Players will be able to fight for their squad’s survival and confront hordes of enemies as the original ALIENS film icons Private Hudson, Corporal Hicks, Private Drake and Sergeant Apone.

- Additional Marines Character Customization Options

- Ripley’s Flamethrower

- Exclusive Multiplayer Weapons
Sonic Electronic Ball Breakers
Phase Plasma Rifle

- Exclusive Game Level
USCM Academy Firing Range

-USCM Dossier
Mission Brief
USS Sephora Schematic
Recruitment Card
LV-426 Recon Photo
USCM Iron-on Badges
USCM Graduation Certificate
GAME OVER MAN!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
^Damn that was over quickly. I was hoping for a real bloodbath, dirty laundry, Kotick in gay orgies etc etc.
Everyone was rooting for dirty laundry. Pessimistically, those Project Icebreaker emails we gona be good. Optimistically, there was even more amazing backstabbing discussions to be seen.

Originally Posted by P View Post
Let's hope the settlement is at least big enough to show up on their next quarterly statement.
Smart man, I heard other people saying this. Supposedly they set aside a billion dollars as insurance on this case.

(Honestly I hope it's big enough that Kotick is tarred and feathered and run out of the building, but that may be too much to hope for.)
I've also been hearing this isn't Kotick's first court misstep. If Z&W really got like 500 mil or more, all because of his plan to fire them because they were making too much money, I can't see why I board would keep him.

I'm unclear on whether this also has anything to do with the Infinity Ward Group suit. Allegedly they were planning on continuing with their suit after Activision paid then $42 million in deferred bonuses last week.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2012, 09:58 AM

NeoGAF had the best idea ever:
Take billion dollar settlement -> Spend it all on Activision stocks, becoming largest non-Vivendi shareholder -> Lead shareholder revolt against board -> Yell "From hell's heart I stab at thee. For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee." -> Sell shares -> burn money in warehouse, having been satisfied with revenge.

Activision, Infinity Ward settle long-standing legal dispute | Ars Technica
After the judge officially dismissed the case, The Verge reporter Michael McWhertor tweeted that Infinity Ward cofounder Jason West and his attorney left the courtroom with no further comment than a "beaming smile."
CHA-CHING!

"The company does not believe that the incremental one-time charges related to the settlement will result in a material impact on its GAAP or non-GAAP earnings per share outlook for the current quarter or the calendar year, due to stronger-than-expected operating performance in the current quarter."
The inference being that if their earnings were more typical this settlement might have hurt them?

P
Jun 1, 2012, 10:18 AM

The inference being that if their earnings were more typical this settlement might have hurt them?
Or that they had discounted a settlement like this into their guidance.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2012, 10:20 AM

Or that they had discounted a settlement like this into their guidance.
That falls into the 1 billion they set aside.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 1, 2012, 04:06 PM

Sony brings backwards compatibility to PlayStation with Gaikai deal | GamesIndustry International
Sony's rumoured cloud gaming deal with Gaikai is to allow current-generation hardware to play PlayStation 2 and PSone games via a streaming solution, GamesIndustry International understands.
Wayyyyy too late for this gen, but an awesome idea for future gens. However, how gamers will pay for this is a bit of a quandry. Trying to sell us digital cloud access to games we already own is a no-go for most, I imagine. A small netflix-like fee could work, though honestly, including it as a perk of PSN plus seems like the way to go.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 1, 2012, 11:19 PM

-------
I was wrong about it being focused on Marcus...

Gears of War: Judgement

Looks like it's going to focus on Cole and Baird.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 2, 2012, 02:03 PM

This will be a must buy for Dakar. Everyone knows Baird is his favorite character in the Gears of War series.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

P
Jun 2, 2012, 06:28 PM

That falls into the 1 billion they set aside.
I don't think so. They set aside a sum of money for what they feared they might have to pay out, but when they give their guidance, they will have to account for what they expect their net earnings to be. If what they paid out was in line with that expectation, it won't affect earnings.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2012, 10:49 PM

Well, things are already looking faaaaantastic for the Wii U and PS4...

(WARNING - IGN Link) - The Next Generation According to Game Developers

To further signal the winding down of the current console generation, approximately 60% of respondents have no plans to release games for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, or Nintendo Wii after 2013. Of course, this means some 40% intend to keep at current-gen releases after next year. To that point, an anonymous developer told IGN, “I would not be surprised if something atypical cannibalizes the market, maybe even the Xbox 360 itself.”

From a hardware perspective, nearly 80% of respondents said Microsoft’s next console is the easiest to work with, and the overwhelming majority suspect it will be the sales leader over the next five years.
The ease of use compared to other consoles is assuredly attractive, too. By comparison, 63% of developers who spoke to IGN said the Wii U would be the most challenging platform to develop for. One creator went as far as saying, “we won’t be working on Wii U due to these complexities,” while another lamented the difficulty of moving innovative games unique to Wii U to other platforms.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 2, 2012, 10:59 PM

I thought that the specifics of the Wii U were unknown at this time? If the console itself hasn't been released, how can the developer tools be assessed?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 2, 2012, 11:55 PM

Developers already have dev kits. If the Wii U is supposed to be coming out this year, they would have to.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 10:43 AM

I don't think so. They set aside a sum of money for what they feared they might have to pay out, but when they give their guidance, they will have to account for what they expect their net earnings to be. If what they paid out was in line with that expectation, it won't affect earnings.
Well, either you know what you're talking about or I'm going to be accidentally right. I'm sure Douche bag Pachter will weigh in with his estimates when the time comes.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Well, things are already looking faaaaantastic for the Wii U and PS4...
Well, that makes sense. Innovation in gameplay isn't going to be a walk in the park. Does sound like their 3rd party support has already been shot in the foor, what with their unique gameplay being un-portable to other systems. Oh the irony.

Speaking of theWiiU:

Stealth admission of defeat?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 11:51 AM

I know this decomposing horse has been flogged enough, but it really is amazing just how much that controller is like the 360's.

After watching Iwata's long (also: bizarre/surreal) video, I think they have some good ideas, but the software is going to wind up looking almost exactly like the Wii's, killing it in the long run. Nintendo isn't exactly trending upward, so they better have a great E3.

P
Jun 4, 2012, 12:27 PM

The X360 controller in turn looks a lot like

from 1988. More controls have been added, obviously, but the base concept is there.

Have to admit that it looks a lot more convenient to use the D-pad than the analog sticks.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 12:31 PM

I'd say that looks more like a playstation controller than 360.

Edit: The 360 has more in common with this:

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2012, 02:09 PM

The jump between...

...to...

...is about 1,000 steps, while the previous picture to this...

Is almost literally as simple as switching the right analog and face buttons.

I see what you're saying, but there's a difference between the idea of controllers and one controller almost completely stealing the ergonomics (which are the most strikingly similar), layout, trigger style, and bumper style. Not that I'm blaming them -- a lot of people seem to love the 360 controller. I personally have trouble with my pinkies going to sleep and/or becoming uncomfortable while using the 360 controller, but I'm in the minority.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 02:15 PM

Don't forget this monster.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2012, 02:22 PM

When does the MS E3 keynote start?

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 4, 2012, 02:24 PM

Already did.

Wanna guess what they talked about a lot?

P
Jun 4, 2012, 02:45 PM

Seeing the argument "Nintendo is copying MS" reminds me of reviews of Mac OS 8 which said that Apple had copied MS by adding contextual menus.

My point is that Nintendo had the basic shape down in 1988, but stepped back to make the controller look friendlier for the SNES. They marketed to families, and the wings made it looks to "pro". Nes MAX had the big points down: The buttons are in the right position, the wings are there and the "D-pad" moves by moving the thumb as opposed to tilting it - a lot more like an analog stick than a D-pad, really. The shoulder buttons aren't there - they came with the SNES (I don't think Sega had them?) - but the shape behind them is close to triggers even if there isn't a button to press (you can't see it in the picture, but if you look closely, you can see that the controller is raised over the surface it is lying on - that's the vestigial triggers). Separating the D-pad and the dual analog sticks is because of the way the analog sticks were added part way through the lifetime of the Playstation - I'm sure that if analog had been added on the original Playstation, there would have been a single analog stick in place of the D-pad.

All MS added was flipping the position of the analog stick and the D-pad

Forum Links
Forum Rules