Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 79)
P
Mar 27, 2014, 08:13 AM

Respawn/EA has decided to let cheaters keep playing Titanfall... against other cheaters. This makes me so happy.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Respawn/EA has decided to let cheaters keep playing Titanfall... against other cheaters. This makes me so happy.
I'd love to watch the matches. (How are they cheating, anyway? Aimbots? Wallhacks?)

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Mar 27, 2014, 09:47 AM

Titanfall's Anticheat Is Now Being Enforced - Titanfall

Titanfall uses FairFight to detect cheaters on PC. Since the launch of Titanfall, we've been collecting data on people who are cheating on PC but not immediately enforcing bans. As of Friday, March 21st, that has changed and we have started banning cheaters in Titanfall.
Q.) So what happens if I get banned?
A.) Great news: you get to keep playing Titanfall! Less-great news: you only get to play with other cheaters. You can play with other banned players in something that will resemble the Wimbledon of aimbot contests. Hopefully the aimbot cheat you paid for really is the best, or these all-cheater matches could be frustrating for you. Good luck.
Brilliant.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 09:53 AM

Oh, just PC. Not as impressive.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
BTW, I love that we've reached a point in the video games news cycle where we're teasing who the director of the game is. Jesus Christ, next thing you know they'll be teasing where it was made and with what computers.
I actually pause a lot of the behind-the-scenes videos so I can see their computers and what's on their desktops. Fine by me.

There's no way this will be fun for the cheaters, but I still doubt they learn their lesson.

I've never understood what they're gaining from cheating. What possible enjoyment is in it for them?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I actually pause a lot of the behind-the-scenes videos so I can see their computers and what's on their desktops. Fine by me.
Them purposely hiding their location or computers is fine by you?

I've never understood what they're gaining from cheating. What possible enjoyment is in it for them?
Have you ever played an incredibly bad team? It can be hilariously fun. This is sort of the inverse.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2014, 11:22 AM

Them purposely hiding their location or computers is fine by you?
No, no. I'm fine with them giving us as much information as possible, no matter how trivial it might seem. I love seeing what they're working on.

Have you ever played an incredibly bad team? It can be hilariously fun. This is sort of the inverse.
I can see that, but most cheaters are just d-bags hoping to ruin people's day.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2014, 11:30 AM

Two bits of news:

If you're a PS4 convert, it looks like you'll be able to play one of last generation's highest-rated games this summer, and not just over that PlayStation Now streaming mess. Note: it's The Last of Us.

Also, Goat Simulator looks hilarious, but now they've spoofed that Dead Island trailer, and it definitely made me smile.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 11:48 AM

No, no. I'm fine with them giving us as much information as possible, no matter how trivial it might seem.
Then you missed my point. Withholding the directors name is withholding trivial information. The number of people who might be swayed by the name is infinitesimal.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 12:56 PM

Also, Goat Simulator looks hilarious, but now they've spoofed that Dead Island trailer, and it definitely made me smile.
You mean that Dead Island trailer everyone got so excited about and then I predicted it'd be nothing like the actual game and I was right?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2014, 01:14 PM

I can see that, but most cheaters are just d-bags hoping to ruin people's day.

I think you've answered your own question.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 27, 2014, 02:35 PM

Then you missed my point. Withholding the directors name is withholding trivial information. The number of people who might be swayed by the name is infinitesimal.
Yeah, I veered off without bridging the gap between thoughts.

On that topic, there are few games that a director's name would make much of a difference. Kojima, Cliffy B, Will Wright, etc.

That said, I'd love for Kojima to have almost nothing to do with the Metal Gear franchise going forward.

You mean that Dead Island trailer everyone got so excited about and then I predicted it'd be nothing like the actual game and I was right?
Granted.

It was always a possibility, but I mostly just thought you were being a curmudgeon.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I think you've answered your own question.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2014, 02:47 PM

On that topic, there are few games that a director's name would make much of a difference. Kojima, Cliffy B, Will Wright, etc.
On consoles, I still think say the impact fairly low. No one cared about IW being dismembered for MW3, and people still bought the rebooted Hitman and Tomb Raider even though it was clear they weren't going to be true to their roots.

There was no Wil Wright for the new SimCity and it sold megatons, even while it wasn't even working.

Granted.

It was always a possibility, but I mostly just thought you were being a curmudgeon.
I have nothing against goat simulator, I just want to remind everyone how wise and brilliant I am. Well, you, really.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2014, 06:04 PM

Oh, just PC. Not as impressive.
Apparently its very hard to create aimbot, esp, wallhack type cheats for consoles.

BTW, the BF4DB stats that I link to have their own BF4 servers running PunkBuster and FairFight. From the little that I've read, it seems that most hacks get around PunkBuster. What is catching the cheaters are their stats, in particular headshots. What I find strange is that they don't just set their cheat software to do less headshots - guess hackers are dumb.

Wonder why they don't use the same solution for BF4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2014, 11:33 AM

Saving in InFamous takes me into the console UI. It's both laggy and ugly. I hope that isn't normal for PS4 games.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 31, 2014, 04:03 PM

Saving in InFamous takes me into the console UI. It's both laggy and ugly. I hope that isn't normal for PS4 games.
How are you liking the game in general?

I finished my "good" play-through about two days ago. I'm now going through as evil on Expert to try for the platinum, but enemy strongholds are a much, much greater obstacle now, especially when you're accustomed to using several power sets.

A few thoughts:
- Prettiest PS4 game I've played so far.
- A better setting than the first Infamous, but not as good as the New Orleans-type city in the second game. Seattle seems awesome, but there's not as much architectural personality to break up the zones.
- The story is just filler. The joy of this game is the superhero gameplay, at which it excles. But the binary morale system definitely needs some improvement.

All in all, I've been having a blast with it. It's not a perfect game, but I didn't need perfect. I needed a gorgeous world with awesome powers and plenty of baddies to obliterate. Got it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 31, 2014, 04:07 PM

I started a thread for it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 2, 2014, 02:33 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 4, 2014, 09:58 AM

Uncharted creative director to lead new EA Star Wars game | Ars Technica

Electronic Arts has hired Amy Hennig, creative director and writer for the Uncharted video game franchise, as the new creative director for a forthcoming Star Wars gaming project.
I can practically hear Jawbone popping a boner all the way up north.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 4, 2014, 10:29 AM

FTL is on iPad now . Many hours will be lost to this, good job it's the weekend soon. Best New Apps: 'FTL' for iPad | The Verge

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 4, 2014, 10:44 AM

Uncharted creative director to lead new EA Star Wars game | Ars Technica

I can practically hear Jawbone popping a boner all the way up north.
Dadgum right.

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
FTL is on iPad now . Many hours will be lost to this, good job it's the weekend soon. Best New Apps: 'FTL' for iPad | The Verge
I never played it, so I'm going to check it out.

If it's anything as addictive as Pirates!, which also released on the iPad, then I'm going to be set on the mobile gaming front.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 6, 2014, 09:26 PM

So, I was gifted a PS4... I ordered Need for Speed and LEGO Marvel. Any other suggestions? I'm not a fan of AC.

P
Apr 7, 2014, 04:56 AM

InFamous seems to be the PS4 game everyone is talking about at the moment.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 7, 2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
So, I was gifted a PS4... I ordered Need for Speed and LEGO Marvel. Any other suggestions? I'm not a fan of AC.
Dakar will insist that you buy BF4. And I'd agree with him, even with the present rubber banding issues in some games.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2014, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Dakar will insist that you buy BF4. And I'd agree with him, even with the present rubber banding issues in some games.
I wouldn't insist on shit.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2014, 11:49 AM

Depending on your tastes:

Resogun
FIFA 14
Sound Shapes
Fez

But, by far...

InFamous seems to be the PS4 game everyone is talking about at the moment.
Easily the best PS4 single-player, full-retail game available.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2014, 12:10 PM

How would you rate it against the previous InFamous titles?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 7, 2014, 12:23 PM

From a gameplay standpoint, it's definitely the best of the three. As far as the setting, characters, and storyline are concerned, Infamous 2 was light years better. Even Infamous 1's story was probably better.

What makes Second Son stand out (besides the graphics) is the variety of powers, and the strategies involved in using them.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 7, 2014, 12:57 PM

I think I'm two-thirds of the way through the game now and I have to say, I'm somewhat shocked by the emptiness and lifelessness of the city. The city itself is gorgeous, but the people lack any feel – they might as well be stick figures. The tasks are ok, but repetitive in a way that Assassin's Creed has never felt. I'm kinda surprised this is what you've been hyping. If this was a 360 game I'd be thoroughly unimpressed. FarCry 3 shits all over this.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 7, 2014, 04:52 PM

I totally enjoyed Infamous. The variety of powers is what stands out largely for me as well. I just 100% on good, and will try on evil next. I just picked up Dark Souls 2 so gonna give that a shot for a bit before I come back to it.

I'd still recommend Assassins Creed:Black Flag. It is still one of my top one's for the PS4, and I wasn't really planning on getting that one. It just happened to be a free Amazon promo for me, and turned out to be the best of all of them to me.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2014, 10:55 AM

I think I'm two-thirds of the way through the game now and I have to say, I'm somewhat shocked by the emptiness and lifelessness of the city. The city itself is gorgeous, but the people lack any feel – they might as well be stick figures. The tasks are ok, but repetitive in a way that Assassin's Creed has never felt. I'm kinda surprised this is what you've been hyping. If this was a 360 game I'd be thoroughly unimpressed. FarCry 3 ****s all over this.
If you were expecting a GTA-style open world game, then you were certainly bound to be disappointed. Infamous is more of an action/superhero title. It's not meant to mimic the infinite replayability of a GTA or RDR due to the life of the setting.

That said, I did expect some improvement in that department due to the move to PS4. Was it game-breaking for me? Not at all. But it will be for some people, I guess.

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
I totally enjoyed Infamous. The variety of powers is what stands out largely for me as well. I just 100% on good, and will try on evil next. I just picked up Dark Souls 2 so gonna give that a shot for a bit before I come back to it.
Bump up the difficulty to Expert on the second play-through. I started it to pursue the platinum trophy, but the game is actually much more enjoyable this way (and I usually hate playing any game on higher difficulty settings).

I'd still recommend Assassins Creed:Black Flag. It is still one of my top one's for the PS4, and I wasn't really planning on getting that one. It just happened to be a free Amazon promo for me, and turned out to be the best of all of them to me.
I keep waiting for it to drop to $30 before I pick it up.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2014, 11:17 AM

If you were expecting a GTA-style open world game, then you were certainly bound to be disappointed. Infamous is more of an action/superhero title.
Uh, it's defined as an open-world game. I don't know what "GTA-style" is, but if it's not seeming two-dimensional and lifeless, I expect al games to have this goal in mind. Arkham Asylum was a superhero title and it was more "open" in some respects.

It's not meant to mimic the infinite replayability of a GTA or RDR due to the life of the setting.
You'll note that I didn't compare it to GTA – I compared it to Assassin's Creed and Far Cry. As for replay ability, I never replay any games I own so it's obviously not that.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 8, 2014, 06:10 PM

Are you guys still playing BF4?

Resogun - meh, looks like something that should be on an iPad
FIFA 14 - will probably pick this up
Sound Shapes - wut.
Fez - double wut.

I can't decide if it's sad or funny that no one mentioned CoD.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 8, 2014, 07:33 PM

Resogun - meh, looks like something that should be on an iPad
FIFA 14 - will probably pick this up
Sound Shapes - wut.
Fez - double wut.

Don't sleep on Resogun unless you hate the shooter genre. It's super addictive, and much more beautiful than videos show.

FIFA is awesome.
I haven't played Fez yet, but everyone seems to adore it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2014, 09:50 AM

I'm probably the only one who plays it regularly.

Neither. No one here plays it and its not a critical darling.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2014, 10:03 AM

BTW, I wouldn't recommend BF4 to you – I have a feeling you'll be livid with the rubberbanding and hit detection issues.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2014, 01:24 PM

BF4 is still the only game I own for the PS4. I will probably stay that way until Destiny is released.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2014, 02:24 PM

BF4 is still the only game I own for the PS4. I will probably stay that way until Destiny is released.
I'm all-in on Destiny. Here's hoping it's as stable of a multiplayer environment as the Halo series has been.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2014, 02:40 PM

I'll probably pick it up as the GAF community abandons BF4. Beats picking up whatever shitfest police themed BF EA tries to foist on us.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 9, 2014, 03:15 PM

Destiny
From the Creators of Halo® and the company that brought you Call of Duty®
Out: 09.09.2014
Genre: Shooter
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Bungie

Still a ways out, but it seems like that'll be the first shooter I buy for PS4.

Has anyone preordered to get beta access?
( Last edited by boy8cookie; Apr 9, 2014 at 03:25 PM. )

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2014, 04:28 PM

I was thinking about it. I've been trying to get beta access through Twitter but those codes go quick.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2014, 04:33 PM

I'll probably pick it up as the GAF community abandons BF4. Beats picking up whatever shitfest police themed BF EA tries to foist on us.
Well, there's always the Borderlands prequel.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 9, 2014, 04:41 PM

Well, there's always the Borderlands prequel.
Not on PS4.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 9, 2014, 04:58 PM

Oh damn, you're right. Last gen only.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2014, 05:32 PM

Well, this should skyrocket to the top of your lists...

The Last of Us Remastered confirmed for PS4 release this summer | Polygon

A remastered version of Naughty Dog's post-apocalyptic survival game, The Last of Us, will launch for PlayStation 4 with the game's previously released downloadable content.

The Remastered Edition, priced at $59.99 on Amazon, will also include in-game cinematic commentary from the voices of Joel and Ellie — Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson, respectively — and creative director Neil Druckmann. It will feature 1080p, as well as higher resolution character models, improved shadows and lighting, and other gameplay tweaks. Additional content includes the Abandoned Territories Map Pack, Reclaimed Territories Map Pack, and single-player campaign The Last of Us: Left Behind.
Seems they're targeting 60 FPS, also.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Apr 9, 2014, 06:03 PM

Seems they're targeting 60 FPS, also.
Aww hell yeah, much like Half Life 2 (which I have played on Xbox, 360, Mac AND PC) I will most certainly be getting that for PS4, with the amount of work flowing in lately that could be sooner rather than later...

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 10, 2014, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Aww hell yeah, much like Half Life 2 (which I have played on Xbox, 360, Mac AND PC) I will most certainly be getting that for PS4...
1080p and 60 fps for the title that already looked better than almost anything we've seen on PS4 or Xbone? Yes, indeed.

...with the amount of work flowing in lately that could be sooner rather than later...
Don't toy with our emotions.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2014, 09:13 AM

A survival horror game. Oh joy.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 11, 2014, 10:44 AM

SOE's H1Z1 is a zombie-flavored sandbox after all | Massively
SOE has just released more information on its upcoming F2P zombie MMO H1Z1. In a letter posted to Reddit just moments ago, President John Smedley explained his vision for the game. "It's a massively multiplayer game in which players fight for survival in a world where death is the only sure thing," he writes. Set in middle America with a distinct zombie flavor, the game will be a sandbox with a "deep crafting system" with which "players can build shelters out of resources in the world" and "work together to make amazing fortresses complete with weaponry to help defend against both the Infected and other players."
It's starting to feel like Sony is trying to corner the zombie market the way MS did with FPS. This is horrible.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 11, 2014, 10:14 PM

PSN: kavV1ka

Need for Speed Rivals is pretty fun so far, car selection looks a bit limited though.

Forum Links
Forum Rules