Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 80)
boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 13, 2014, 05:02 PM

Hmm Final Fantasy 14 comes out tomorrow for PS4, anyone played it on PS3?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
Need for Speed Rivals is pretty fun so far, car selection looks a bit limited though.
You played on-line? Mate of mine compares it to destruction derby. Says that Gran Tourismo is the same.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2014, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
You played on-line? Mate of mine compares it to destruction derby. Says that Gran Tourismo is the same.
I don't remember Hot Pursuit being that bad.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 14, 2014, 12:15 PM

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2014, 03:48 PM

If you've got PSN+ you're pretty much always online as far as I can tell.

I find the driving to be quite satisfying, even when you encounter a racer who has mistaken the game for WWE in cars.

Playing as a cop is all about smashing the sh*t out of the racers, so maybe that's what he's referring to.

Overall the game is just fun, there's no story or anything to get in the way of driving fast. It's GTA-oh-shit-I-have-4-stars-esque pretty much all the time, which was my favorite part of GTA.

P
Apr 16, 2014, 01:03 PM

They're dancing around the issue of how it relates to SMAC, but basically, it's like Colonization was for Civ IV: Civ V engine and a new scenario. This can be great, or it can be terrible. I just reeeally hope that they ship it in a usable state this time - Firaxis does not have a good track record for that.

GoG has SMAC and SMAX in a Mac-compatible version, btw.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 17, 2014, 09:35 AM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2014, 04:18 PM

Sweet!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2014, 11:37 PM

About time.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 18, 2014, 02:05 AM

Still no youtube app or youtube uploading. Beginning to wonder if MS moneyhatted us.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2014, 03:38 PM

Anyone going to get Watch Dogs? Reminds me of Red Dead and NFS.

Does look quite fun though : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEIe1SIzUVY

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 18, 2014, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Still no youtube app or youtube uploading. Beginning to wonder if MS moneyhatted us.
It sucks, but you can transfer the edited files to a hard drive or thumb drive, so you can upload it to YouTube on your computer.

It adds another hoop to jump through, but at least it's possible now.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2014, 04:44 PM

So its 7 million (PS4) to 5 million (xbone). Closer than I thought.

P
Apr 19, 2014, 02:32 PM

7 million sold and 5 million shipped to retailers. Not the same thing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2014, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
7 million sold and 5 million shipped to retailers. Not the same thing.
Thanks, I can understand English P. I read the article. Unless some retail analysis companies come up with 'Hundreds of thousands on Xboxes going unsold in stores" I think that its safe to use the above figures to compare their success.

P
Apr 19, 2014, 05:10 PM

MS is infamous for using the "shipped to retailers" metric to distort the numbers - they've done it at least since Win 95 - so whenever they say something like this, I tend to take a very suspicious view of it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 21, 2014, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
It sucks, but you can transfer the edited files to a hard drive or thumb drive, so you can upload it to YouTube on your computer.

It adds another hoop to jump through, but at least it's possible now.
Oh don't worry, I plan on making my youtube videos in iMovie anyway. I don't think I'd enjoy working with a controller in that regard.

MS is infamous for using the "shipped to retailers" metric to distort the numbers - they've done it at least since Win 95 - so whenever they say something like this, I tend to take a very suspicious view of it.
I think I read on Neogaf the actual sold is closer to 4.3 million via Bloomberg.

---

Fun little brouhaha over the weekend, in light of the PS4 outselling the X1 during its Titanfall push, everyone's favorite MS funded gaming site took to twitter to downplay the NPD. on the reliability of NPD data - NeoGAF

This was quickly derailed when it was pointed out the last time they cited the NPD was the last time X1 came out on top. Much egg was wiped from faces. Gaming journalism.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 22, 2014, 12:28 PM

Another Tuesday and still no PS4 update. It's like Sony heard all the complaints last gen and decided to overcorrect in the other direction. I just want to pull my BF4 videos from my damned PS4!

P
Apr 22, 2014, 03:50 PM

Dragon Age: Inquisition has a release date. October 7th is when I must have decided what to do about it.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 23, 2014, 10:52 AM

If you love the old school, side scrolling Contra-type shooters, be sure to download Mercenary Kings (free on PS+). It's not life-changing, but it's definitely fun.

Another Tuesday and still no PS4 update. It's like Sony heard all the complaints last gen and decided to overcorrect in the other direction. I just want to pull my BF4 videos from my ****ed PS4!
Despite Sony's gains this generation, they still need a Major Nelson-like public figure to communicate with fans concerning this sort of thing.

Dragon Age: Inquisition has a release date. October 7th is when I must have decided what to do about it.
Looks pretty. I see it's being developed for everything, though. These titles always look like they've got one foot in each generation.

I never touched the old titles. Were they any good?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2014, 11:17 AM

Despite Sony's gains this generation, they still need a Major Nelson-like public figure to communicate with fans concerning this sort of thing.
Good call.

P
Apr 23, 2014, 12:34 PM

Looks pretty. I see it's being developed for everything, though. These titles always look like they've got one foot in each generation.

I never touched the old titles. Were they any good?
Play Dragon Age: Origins and skip DA2.

The idea behind the series was to make an RPG that was like Dungeons & Dragons without needing the license and the restrictions that come with it, in the same way that Mass Effect was, shall we say, "inspired" by Star Wars. Bioware famously made RPGs in both of those universes before moving to their own lore.

Dragon Age: Origins was quite good. The world is generic fantasy, but with the awareness that there have been books written after Tolkien - it borrows themes and ideas from George RR Martin and Robert Jordan, to mention a few, rather than being Tolkien with some Conan barbarians like D&D usually is. DA:O is very much the first game in a series, setting the stage but without much depth. The story is not very complex, but the world is good, the characters are believable, the battle system works and the dialogue trees offer some real options to role play. Quite similar to ME1 or the first KOTOR.

Dragon Age 2 was a failure. The story is not actually bad, but you are very much on rails from the word go - no matter what you do, you will end up in the exact same position. The dialogue options are usually reduced to "Yes", "Of course", and "I guess that's OK" or similar, and when you can affect things, the game will force you back on the rails soon enough. All characters are paper cutout extremes. The battle system is dumbed down to just button mashing, with huge numbers of weak enemies coming from all directions in waves, so not even positioning matters. The game has about five environments for dungeons that it reuses mercilessly - you will keep seeing the same effing stone for the entire games. It was clearly a massive cash grab by EA, further rushed by the need to not collide with ME3.

Which brings me to a hard decision. DA2 was so terrible that I would normally never buy a sequel, but Bioware has been saying good things, and in this case, the delay was good news as it meant that they were at least not rushing it. The fact that they had to cancel the DA2 expansion shows that even EA has realized that they failed with DA2. The downside is the word from Bioware that they're not doing a 180 from DA2, they're going to merge the best of both worlds from the two battle systems. That is extremely worrying, because the DA:O battle system was close to perfect, and DA2 was an absolute clusterF - I just don't see what value they could find in that. Making it even harder is that DA2 got quite good reviews early on, so I won't be able to make a decision based on that either.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2014, 12:45 PM

Well one important thing is Bioware has acknowledged that DA2 was not well received. This should indicate that they'll try to address that in the sequel. Successfully (or moreover, to the fan's satisfaction) remains to be seen, but hope is warranted.

P
Apr 23, 2014, 03:06 PM

The problem is EA. Bioware is renowned for making very good RPGs, but my fear is that EA thinks that RPGs is not a big enough market segment. They succeeded with Mass Effect, which was more of an RPG-lite from ME2 on, and they clearly tried to do the same with DA2. Even if they realize that they went too far (and as I said, they did cancel the expansion - something they would not do lightly) I suspect that they will not move all the way back to the good RPGs but only to something a little less obviously flawed.

Ah well. There is always this.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2014, 03:22 PM

The problem is EA. Bioware is renowned for making very good RPGs, but my fear is that EA thinks that RPGs is not a big enough market segment.
Jesus Christ, must everything be mass-market. Was the original Dragon Age some kind of failure? I'll bet it still sold millions.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2014, 03:50 PM

P
Apr 23, 2014, 06:15 PM

Jesus Christ, must everything be mass-market. Was the original Dragon Age some kind of failure? I'll bet it still sold millions.
It sold quite well, actually (Wikipedia says 3.2 million until Feb 2010, and I can find other figures saying close to 4 million by the end of 2011), but it was a slow starter with ho-hum first week sales but then a long tail - I think it still sells. DA2 was the opposite - good launch because of the great reviews and name recognition, and then it dropped like rock, so sales in the first couple of months were less than half of DA:O even if the first week was better.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2014, 04:36 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2014, 04:41 PM

In first quarter, Microsoft ships 2M consoles including 1.2M Xbox Ones | GamesBeat | Games | by Dean Takahashi
Microsoft said today that it shipped more than 2 million video game consoles in its third fiscal quarter ended March 31. That included 1.2 million Xbox One video game consoles.
1.2 million X1s sold from Jan 1st to March 31st sounds low, right? And that's sold to retailers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 24, 2014, 04:57 PM

3.2 million Xbox 360s shipped, $388 million in losses [update 1] | Joystiq
Microsoft recently divulged its Q3 earnings, which included 1.7 million Xbox 360s shipped.
500,000 more 360 shipped in the corresponding quarter of last launch?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 25, 2014, 12:47 PM

And on the following day Dakar is gonna dump 5 months worth of game play videos into the BF4 thread.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 25, 2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
And on the following day Dakar is gonna dump 5 months worth of game play videos into the BF4 thread.
I wish. I'm so lazy it might take me a week just to look over the files I have before I start editing. Though I suppose I may dump a raw game or two.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2014, 11:15 AM

Analyst: PC gaming now brings in more money than console gaming | Ars Technica
In statements reported by UK tech site PCR, Cole said that PC games were bringing in more revenue than console games on a global basis, though he added that the recent launch of new game consoles could change things in the near future. "Among core gamers there is a heavy overlap with most console gamers also playing on a PC," Cole said. "The big difference is that consoles are now the luxury item and PCs are the necessity. Just a few years ago the reverse was true. This means PCs have the broader audience."

We sampled public data to estimate sales and gameplay info for every Steam game.
The growth in PC spending is being driven heavily by the explosive growth in MOBAs like League of Legends and Dota 2, Cole said.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 29, 2014, 11:33 AM

Driveclub for PS4 Gets a Firm Release Date, New Game Director

The game from Evolution Studios, which was originally planned for release in early 2014, will be out on October 8, 2014. It’s not exactly “early 2014” but needless to say, rumors of its demise have been greatly exaggerated.
oh and the SHOCKING NEWS on the new director that just couldn't possibly be leaked before now?
In addition to the new date, Sony has announced that as of February 2014, Paul Rustchynsky has been at the helm of the game as its Game Director. He’s best known for his work on Motorstorm RC.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2014, 04:25 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2014, 01:04 PM

One thing I haven't done much of since Uncharted 2 is collaborative, mission-based multiplayer. I love it when it's done well. Definitely looking forward to Destiny.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2014, 09:18 PM

This game looks like it's going to be great. I think it might live up to the hype.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 30, 2014, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
This game looks like it's going to be great. I think it might live up to the hype.
I certainly hope so.

I quickly lost interest in BF3, but it's rare that I'm 100% invested in a multiplayer FPS. I've enjoyed some fun moments with it, but they never really got all the kinks ironed out. Hopefully the amount of time invested in Destiny's development will show. I just wish it wasn't developed for last-gen consoles as well.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 1, 2014, 07:33 AM

Wii U, Mario Kart 8. It's next gen because it has moustache physics Wii U Allows for Next-Gen Mario Moustache | Kotaku UK

Because physics of individual body parts has never been done before, especially never before with girls in fighting games, or volleyball...

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2014, 09:10 AM

Hey, it's an achievement because... Nintendo.

Unfortunately, it ignores the wind in his face.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 1, 2014, 02:03 PM

Just read about an interesting game: Sir, You are being hunted. Haven't found a good description of it yet; Was reading a post about it on NeoGAF.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 5, 2014, 12:30 PM

Cross-posting and pimping my first BF4 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKJPoNa7kwY

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 5, 2014, 01:51 PM

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
May 5, 2014, 10:40 PM

Cross-posting and pimping my first BF4 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKJPoNa7kwY
Nice. Recon? What rifle is that?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
May 6, 2014, 05:35 AM

Activision places $500 mln bet on its next blockbuster franchise

Wonder when/what they'll start charging for online.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by exca1ibur View Post
Nice. Recon? What rifle is that?
SCAR-H SV. The semi-auto snipers from BF3 got made into a new class that is now all-kit.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2014, 09:48 AM

Activision places $500 mln bet on its next blockbuster franchise

Wonder when/what they'll start charging for online.
Particularly for an MMO-like game.

is not
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Wii U, Mario Kart 8. It's next gen because ...
1080P 60FPS

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
May 6, 2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by is not View Post
1080P 60FPS
Speaking of which, Driveclub will be 30 fps. Because everyone is measuring their dick by 1080p. If this gen is any indication, next gen's obsession will be framerate.

Speaking of pixel count...
Resolution boosted for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare on Xbox One • Eurogamer.net
882p. Totally worth mentioning.
But at least they hit 60 fps.

ajprice
Professional Poster
May 7, 2014, 05:24 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules