Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 84)
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2014, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
New Zelda (YouTube)

That 20-30 seconds was apparently using the in-game engine. I was very impressed. However, I'm willing to bet that the game will be delayed to the end of 2016.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2014, 05:28 PM

But No Man's Sky looks really, really interesting.
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm on board, looks amazing.
The color is breath-taking, almost teetering on the edge of too much. It's beautiful.

If the space flight combat is good, then I'm going to fall in love with it.
Wow. Looks amazing. Wonder how much it'll boost sales of PS4.

4 guys in the company, amazing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2014, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Wow. Looks amazing. Wonder how much it'll boost sales of PS4.
Probably not a real system seller, but will probably be picked up by a ton of PS4 users, depending on price.

4 guys in the company, amazing.
This is both incredible and worrying.

Incredible in that four guys have accomplished what we saw at E3.

Worrying in that there's no way this game can have a great amount of depth. I'd love to be proven wrong.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2014, 03:00 PM

I've got the Battlefield Hardline beta downloading. Going to check it out tonight.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 03:39 PM

I've got the Battlefield Hardline beta downloading. Going to check it out tonight.
Trying to join a server now.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 11, 2014, 04:23 PM

Needs some work, seems jerky to me, maybe its the network. IMHO, not worth 70€.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2014, 05:08 PM

Couldn't wait and hopped on.

Just seems like a skinned BF4. The cops/robbers angle is actually less interesting for me, which is stunning — they aren't playing it up at all.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2014, 08:52 AM

Guy at work also got the beta. I quote "For a DLC its great, for a game its a rip-off".

He used more 'colourful' words than rip-off.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2014, 10:14 AM

Apparently there were brief open sign-ups for the Destiny Alpha I missed.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2014, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Apparently there were brief open sign-ups for the Destiny Alpha I missed.
I signed up, nothing yet.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 12, 2014, 04:27 PM

Huh, the process didn't indicate it, but it looks like the Destiny website signed me up anyway, just received a code for the Alpha.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 12, 2014, 05:52 PM

Wut. So jelly.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 12, 2014, 08:43 PM

I got my code as well. Downloading the 6.7GB alpha now.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2014, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I got my code as well. Downloading the 6.7GB alpha now.
Wut. So Je-oh wait me too. Downloading

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 13, 2014, 04:34 AM

( Last edited by ajprice; Jun 13, 2014 at 05:09 AM. )

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2014, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
This is what people pessimistically expected. Why am I not surprised MS managed to make it reality.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 13, 2014, 09:03 AM

Here's how Far Cry 4 co-op works if you don't have the game • Eurogamer.net

Like the 3DS's download play, PS4 users without Far Cry 4 will be able to download a separate app that allows them to be invited into their friends' Far Cry 4 games.
This is like the exact opposite of MS' strategy last year.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 13, 2014, 01:57 PM

I'll be on later today for some Destiny multiplayer.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 13, 2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I'll be on later today for some Destiny multiplayer.
Definitely down for that

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2014, 08:06 AM

Destiny feedback/first impressions please?

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2014, 01:13 PM

First impressions? I love it, Dakar hates it.

Things I like:
Double Jumps!
You can spawn a vehicle anywhere. Even inside buildings.
You can be proficient with any weapon, it doesn't matter which class you choose.

Things I don't like:
- Only 3 people to a fire team in campaign. (Come on Bungie, Halo had 4 player co-opt!)
- There's no real map of the open world. (This could be an alpha only issue.)
- The majority of the missions in the alpha were pretty weak.
- The way point on the radar is kind of hard to follow. It jumps around a lot.
- Vehicles start out really weak. They're unusable after 2 or 3 hits. I'm sure you can upgrade them to be more durable when the final game is released but the max rank in the alpha was only level 8.

I'm looking forward to the beta next month.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2014, 02:10 PM

Made a thread for it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 16, 2014, 03:31 PM

Big hubbub at NeoGAF. Modder discovered unused assets in Watch Dogs PC which, while buggy, kick the graphics well ahead of PS4 and X1. Then they found this:

Basically, a toggle to turn on the enhanced effects.

Edit: Sources

Modder Finds Files for Better Graphics in Watch Dogs’ PC Version

Watch Dogs mod aims enables "E3 2012" visual effects, improves performance | PC Gamer

P
Jun 16, 2014, 04:58 PM

Ah, Ubisoft...
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 18, 2014, 09:04 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 18, 2014, 10:27 AM

I have no idea why they're the most-hated company each year.

P
Jun 18, 2014, 02:45 PM

EA is just greedy, though. Ubisoft is going out of their way to be mess people up.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 18, 2014, 02:56 PM

If you sell it, the ****wits will pay.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 18, 2014, 02:58 PM

Rockstar Delays GTA Online Heists - GameSpot

Rockstar Games had planned to add Heists to Grand Theft Auto Online--the multiplayer mode for Grand Theft Auto V--sometime this spring, but that's not going to happen. Writing on the Rockstar Newswire, the developer apologized for the delay, saying Heists are "taking more time to create" than originally expected.

"We are very sorry for the delay, and are working hard to bring them to you as soon as we can. Please know that we are focused as always on making the best possible content for you to play and we are thankful to all of you for your patience, understanding, and support," Rockstar said.
They released GTA online October 1st with a vague "Heists are delayed." People expected that meant we'd get them before the new year at the latest. Instead the didn't get it out by Fall, WInter or Spring. That is a ****ing travesty for a mode they hyped up in the Online trailer. I love R* but this is some EA level bullshit.

An Audience with Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot - CVG US

How difficult was it to make the decision to scrap the original design and start again? Among the big publishers, Ubisoft certainly seems the least afraid to go back to the drawing board...

In a way it was difficult because you have to say 'OK, let's do a write-off'. But the business has become a bit clearer; if you don't make the right decisions, it tells you at the end you've made a big mistake. The longer you wait, the bigger the mistake is.

So in a way the decision is easier to make now than it was before. Before we could say, 'OK, we'll still sell a couple of million units and monetize our investment'. Today if you are not at the right quality level, nobody will buy. Nobody will like it.

There are lots of factors to take into account. But we know that with all of our teams, when their game doesn't sell, they are unhappy. It's not only about succeeding with gamers, it's succeeding with the teams. When they spend three years of their lives making something, they want to see success at the end.

P
Jun 18, 2014, 06:20 PM

If you sell it, the ****wits will pay.
Will they? EA's bullshit with the iOS version of Dungeon Keeper even made mainstream news, and Ubisoft keeps annoying people - if it's not stuff like this, it's the fact that their PC games barely work at launch. Let's say I'm on the lookout for a new game, and I have a couple of options:

1) An EA game, where I know that I have to launch Origin and there will be stupid DLC pushed all the time
2) A Ubisoft game, where I have to run Uplay and they keep doing BS like the above
3) A game from someone else, anyone, indie or AAA

Which of these do you think I'm going to take a chance on? Now, if it's a game that I have good reason to think is excellent, it'll end up in the queue in any case, but usually that only happens after i've heard from reliable sources that it is great, i.e. a while after launch - so I pick it up at the next Steam sale. The only game from either of these two I've bought at launch in years is ME3, and that was the Bioware name paired with good experience of the last two.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2014, 01:47 PM

Amid controversy, Ubisoft denies downgrading graphics on PC Watch Dogs | Ars Technica

Not much red meat here. Tin foil hats will be disappointed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 20, 2014, 01:51 PM

Oh, someone on NeoGAF made an observation that defies logic; Of the three next gen consoles, it's the Wii U that has the most 1080p/60fps games. That's ****ed up.

The inference is clear – The Wii U isn't as powerful as the HD Twins, so the end result is a conscious choice but one that doesn't seem be really hamstringing the games. For all the aliasing issues I see in the Wii U's titles, which seems more likely to blame? Targeting 60 fps or just being underpowered in comparison to the competition? Of course, I'd be happy for 900p/60 over 1080p/30. Developers are focused on the wrong stat right now.

P
Jun 21, 2014, 06:01 AM

I think the point is screenshots on the web. The PS4 can generally handle 1080p video without compromising - the GPU was designed to handle that, and if there are dips, it's because the APIs aren't familiar yet. Now MS is stuck between a rock and a hard place. If they drop to the 720p its GPU was arguably designed for, that's an obvious number for the detractors to focus on. If they make the shader programs less complex and drop the AA level (which is what the Wii games essentially do), that's clear in the screenshots. If they drop the framerates, that's only obvious when gaming and not in reviews. So they drop the framerates, because that is less clear cut and they can keep pretending that it really is as powerful as the PS4.

P
Jun 21, 2014, 06:05 AM

BTW, the GPU that best matches the Xbone is now below $99 at Newegg.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 23, 2014, 10:28 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2014, 10:33 AM

That map makes absolutely no sense to me, unless Hispanics are Xbox-centric.

P
Jun 23, 2014, 10:51 AM

Someone should map that against IQ level and percentage college education, like that infamous 2004 stat.

(More relevant perhaps would be the percentage with home Internet connections over some minimum bandwidth).

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 23, 2014, 04:21 PM

A map of Facebook likes... do not like.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2014, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Someone should map that against IQ level and percentage college education, like that infamous 2004 stat.

(More relevant perhaps would be the percentage with home Internet connections over some minimum bandwidth).
Internet speed

A Map of Who's Got the Best (And Worst) Internet Connections in America

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 24, 2014, 12:10 PM

Sony: We were “dancing in the aisles” when Microsoft announced $499 Xbox One | Ars Technica
"I'm not gonna lie. I remember exactly where I was," Rohde told Ars. "We were in press conference rehearsals last year. We had a feeling they were going to come in at $499, but we weren't sure. So yeah, we were dancing in the aisles and high-fiving. It was great. Anyone that came in on an interview, it didn't matter what the question was, I could always just answer it with $399. It was the answer to every question."
A lot of people must have gotten laid that night.

Crysis developer Crytek denies "verge of bankruptcy" claim • Eurogamer.net
Crysis developer Crytek has denied claims it is on the verge of bankruptcy.

A recent report from German magazine GameStar claimed Crytek, which has its headquarters in Frankfurt, was in financial trouble and that the development of Xbox One exclusive Ryse: Son of Rome had been a "disaster".
Before E3 one source told Eurogamer staff at Crytek's Sofia office in Bulgaria hadn't received salaries for the past two months.

Eurogamer has also received worrying reports coming out of Crytek UK, which is rumoured to have failed to pay employees on time. Management have been accused by some staff of a lack of transparency over these issues, and many are disgruntled, Eurogamer has heard.
I feel like it's been too long since I heard a developer went belly-up. Homefront kills another company?

PS4 firmware update 1.7.2 just dropped, PS3 4.60 inbound | VG247
System software updates coming soon for PS4 (v1.72) and PS3 (v4.60), both will improve system software stability during use of some features

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2014, 03:24 PM

So, Star Citizen has got me interested, but I wonder if it isn't going to be very complex.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2014, 03:27 PM

PS Plus is killing me. We've gone from zombies and survival to side-scrollers and retro games. God help me, give me something I like.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 25, 2014, 03:28 PM

So, Star Citizen has got me interested, but I wonder if it isn't going to be very complex.
I think I saw a video on it. The physics for navigation is completely realistic, meaning its complex. Though I think using that might be optional. Don't hold me to any of this.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2014, 04:11 PM

I think I saw a video on it. The physics for navigation is completely realistic, meaning its complex. Though I think using that might be optional. Don't hold me to any of this.
Good review at Ars. Wonder if No Man's Sky would be simple enough for an old fart like me.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jun 26, 2014, 11:57 AM

Microsoft: Return of Xbox One family sharing is part of “update roadmap” | Ars Technica

I don't have time to read this today, but this sounded confusing.

P
Jun 26, 2014, 01:03 PM

They don't know how to do it yet.

(IMHO, you should be able to share the entire account the way you can on Steam, so if you have registered your disc-based game, anyone borrowing your account can download and play it as long as you are not using your Xbone - assuming that there is a downloadable version in the first place).

P
Jun 30, 2014, 06:34 AM

Amid controversy, Ubisoft denies downgrading graphics on PC Watch Dogs | Ars Technica

Not much red meat here. Tin foil hats will be disappointed.
The Division Developer Insider: “We Already Downgraded A Few Things” » WhatIfGaming

Ubisoft apparently has a new standard MO - "if we can't make the console versions look good, let's mess up the PC versions".

Saw both AC4 and a Far Cry pack on the Steam sale, and would have picked them up if they hadn't been Ubisoft games. They have become the worst publisher of PC games in recent years.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Saw both AC4 and a Far Cry pack on the Steam sale, and would have picked them up if they hadn't been Ubisoft games. They have become the worst publisher of PC games in recent years.
I couldn't help myself and got Far Cry 3. It was fun on the Xbox and I never actually finished it. Plus the boobies will look better on the PC.

P
Jun 30, 2014, 09:30 AM

I had FC3 already from a separate sale. It was the main reason I stayed away from any Ubisoft games this time. First time I tried to play it, the PC crashed (probably because I had turned the GPU overclock a bit high, but it had been stable in other games for hours), and after reboot, FC3 would not launch at all. Apparently something had broken in the bluescreen, and since garbage Uplay doesn't want to do the checksum test for no reason, I had to uninstall, delete and redownload. This time the installer warned part way through that some installer file was corrupt and needed to be redownloaded, so it could do checksums. After getting it to run, I ran into the "Uplay servers are down". To avoid that happening again, I went into offline mode in Uplay (an option they hide well), but it turns out that as long as you have the network cable in, it will figure out that you actually have network and start downloading the ads inside FC3 etc. Argh.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 3, 2014, 10:00 AM

British regulator: EA “misled” by calling Dungeon Keeper free-to-play | Ars Technica
"Because the game had the potential to restrict gameplay beyond that which would be expected by consumers and the ad did not make this aspect of the role of in-app purchasing clear, we concluded that it was misleading," the ASA wrote in its decision. The original complaint claimed that ads for the game stated, "Get it for free!" with the only caveat being "Wireless fees may apply."

Forum Links
Forum Rules