Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 85)
P
Jul 5, 2014, 09:15 AM

More news that Crytek is indeed circling the drain.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2014, 09:25 AM

Their PR is all but lying from what I can tell. Not cool though, Crytek has a lot of peeps. I hear CryEngine is a huge failure, though; It isn't compatible with most 3D rendering programs or something.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2014, 12:50 PM

Bungie announced today that Destiny beta will be released on July 17th... for PS users only. Xbox users have to wait until July 23rd. Xbox users are pissed because they were led on to believe beta would be open to all users on the 17th.

BTW, beta closes on July 27th for all platforms.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2014, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Bungie announced today that Destiny beta will be released on July 17th... for PS users only. Xbox users have to wait until July 23rd. Xbox users are pissed because they were led on to believe beta would be open to all users on the 17th.

BTW, beta closes on July 27th for all platforms.
While this is exponentially more retarded, this is still better than exclusive 3rd party games.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 7, 2014, 02:17 PM

I don't know if this belongs in the PS4 thread, but PSN continues to disappoint. For a while I'd get infinite loading when I tried to join a party, needing to sign-out then back in to PSN to cancel the process (At which point I could join without issue).

The other night there was a full party so I asked the host to kick one of the people who never talks/uses a mic. On the party chat screen (which practically needs a manual refresh since it's so unreliable) it eventually went down to 7, but every time I tried to join, said the party was full. If I went to my friends list and tried to join from there it said the party was 8/8. This incongruity continued until it dipped to 6 on the party chat screen at which time I got in and it was full, confusing me completely.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 7, 2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
confusing me completely.
Need to get the pace-maker checked I reckon.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jul 7, 2014, 05:26 PM

This is my new favorite meme.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 9, 2014, 04:22 AM

There are some good videos on Gamespot about No Man's Sky. I didn't realise that it really is a solo game. You can meet other players but the universe is so vast that it's unlikely.

If its still exclusive to the PS4 when it comes out, I'll get a PS4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 9, 2014, 10:23 AM

Former Epic director Bleszinski unretires to reveal Project Bluestreak | Ars Technica
Neither with screenshot nor video in hand, Bleszinski's announcement consisted solely of the genre—a "sci-fi PC arena shooter"—and the publisher Nexon. Bleszinski added that the game, like most of Nexon's online-only fare, would be free-to-play. "There won't be a fake CG trailer showing off 'gameplay,'" Bleszinski joked afterward, "because that's not how Boss Key does it."

Driveclub gets wet in new dynamic weather teasers | Joystiq

Borderlands studio mixes MOBA and FPS in Battleborn | Joystiq
FPS MOBA. You have my curiosity, Gearbox.

P
Jul 9, 2014, 06:34 PM

The greed of AAA shooter publishers is chasing us into the arms of competitive MOBAs | Polygon

The TL;DR is that MOBAs are rising because they're not so focused on DLC as FPSes. All the DLC fracture the user base, which kills the game too soon. It is an interesting perspective.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jul 9, 2014, 11:50 PM

Borderlands studio mixes MOBA and FPS in Battleborn | Joystiq
FPS MOBA. You have my curiosity, Gearbox.
Targeted for 03-2016

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The greed of AAA shooter publishers is chasing us into the arms of competitive MOBAs | Polygon

The TL;DR is that MOBAs are rising because they're not so focused on DLC as FPSes. All the DLC fracture the user base, which kills the game too soon. It is an interesting perspective.
I dunno, doesn't seem related. If you like twitch-murdering people in an FPS, you're not going to get satisfaction from the combo-button fest that is DOTA.

P
Jul 10, 2014, 11:44 AM

Fine, but if you like playing games with friends and have a wider taste in genres and are honestly sick and tired of the BS around the big multiplayer shooters, you might prefer to give that a try. I also wonder if this might be an opportunity for MS, as MOBAs are less sensitive to frame rate drops.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 10, 2014, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
I also wonder if this might be an opportunity for MS, as MOBAs are less sensitive to frame rate drops.
Love the unintentional burn here. But traditional MOBAs are a no-go on consoles. This is where F2P FPS' can dominate – no more bitching about DLC (now bitching about unlocks!).

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jul 10, 2014, 04:14 PM

Speaking of MOBAs, is anyone else privy to the Heroes of the Storm alpha? For those who don't know, it's made by Blizzard (Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft) and features heroes from all of Blizzard's IP. It plays a lot like League of Legends, but is easier to learn. The biggest difference is the removal of items, replaced instead by talents. Every third level or so, you get choose 1 of 4-5 talents which affect how your character plays. The other major difference is objective based maps. There are 3 maps in the alpha, and all of them have objectives that help you win. The objectives are great for initiating team battles, which makes the gameplay fast and furious.

If you like MOBAs, you should signup for the alpha.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 11, 2014, 07:30 AM

New Humble Bundle for 2K games: https://www.humblebundle.com

Includes all three Bioshocks, both recent XCOMs, Spec Ops: The Line, Darkness II, and Mafia II. And more titles will be added soon. (I'm guessing Borderlands and Civ stuff.)

Some are Windows-only, and some are Mac and/or Linux.

I already own most of these games, but I might buy the whole bundle just to redeem as gifts and trade for games I don't have.

It's too bad that Bioshock 1 and 2 are both Windows-only for this bundle, but that's a licensing problems with Feral.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 17, 2014, 11:02 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 17, 2014, 11:54 AM

Microsoft: Xbox One sales double in US following Kinect unbundling | Ars Technica
Microsoft didn't go into specific sales numbers in its announcement, and the company failed to publicly reveal US sales for May, so that doubling could mean that Xbox One sales have gone from "very low" to "larger but still low." Microsoft had sold 5 million Xbox One units to consumers worldwide as of early April, a number that far outpaced the Xbox 360 at this point in its lifecycle, though it still trails the 7 million sales of the PS4 at about the same time.

Microsoft also didn't break down what proportion of the increased sales came from the lower-priced Kinect-free bundles, meaning it's technically possible that many more people suddenly decided to buy $500 Kinect bundles last month for some reason (maybe they're just really excited for the upcoming Dance Central game?) Microsoft still hasn't announced the availability of a standalone version of Kinect 2.0 for Xbox One, either, so those going the $400 route would have to buy the peripheral secondhand if they decide they really want to play Kinect Sports Rivals right now.

The simplest explanation, of course, is that many consumers were waiting for an Xbox One system that is truly price competitive with the PlayStation 4 and weren't that eager to pay extra for the "revolutionary" features of Microsoft's camera and microphone array. It may have taken Microsoft a while to figure this out, but the immediate sales jump shows that the company is reaping the benefits of that newfound knowledge.
i.e., this means nothing, so far

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2014, 03:41 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2014, 11:43 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 18, 2014, 02:06 PM

If anything, there appears to be a gradual widening of the gap between XB1 and PS4.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 18, 2014, 02:09 PM

The price drip/kinect dump will have an effect on that.

I can't get over how well the GC did its first year.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2014, 02:34 PM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 22, 2014, 10:27 AM

Those that got PS4s, is it worthwhile getting it with a game bundled? The offers in France don't seem that interesting : InFamous, WatchDogs, Last of Us remastered, or Killzone and Knack. Nothing really appeals.

Guess that I should just wait until No Man's Sky is out, but that seems so far away.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 22, 2014, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Those that got PS4s, is it worthwhile getting it with a game bundled? The offers in France don't seem that interesting : InFamous, WatchDogs, Last of Us remastered, or Killzone and Knack. Nothing really appeals.

Guess that I should just wait until No Man's Sky is out, but that seems so far away.
I don't think it matters, but the white Destiny edition looks nice. Don't know if it's coming to Europe though.

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 22, 2014, 12:08 PM

Who wants to gift an Electronista staffer with a code for the Destiny beta for 360?

Bueller? Anyone?

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2014, 07:43 AM

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 23, 2014, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I don't think it matters, but the white Destiny edition looks nice. Don't know if it's coming to Europe though.
Tempting, but I doubt that Destiny will rock my boat.

P
Jul 23, 2014, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
So they're saying that consoles will be disrupted from below and PCs will do fine. Consoles are ripe for it, but a) the current batch will probably have a cheap BOM in a year or so, so they can drop in price, and b) none of the attempts so far have set the world on fire. PC gaming I think is going to be great - stacked memory is finally shipping, which could solve the memory bandwidth problem for integrated graphics, and that is the final piece for great gaming at laptop resolutions from integrated graphics.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 24, 2014, 05:24 AM

BBC News - Electronic Arts earnings surge 51%

But Battlefield Hardline pushed to 2015.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 24, 2014, 08:53 AM

Interesting to see EA a little gun-shy.

P
Jul 24, 2014, 04:43 PM

I'd love some inside info from EA. Sometimes they really seem to be changing, and then they do something moronic. It's as if they're schizophrenic.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2014, 09:48 PM

At the recommendation of a friend, I gave Sniper Elite 3 a chance. I've been looking for a single-player shooter experience to hold me over, and I'm really glad I tried it out.

It's not a great game exactly, but it's definitely a lot of fun, with the x-ray kill cam being one of the most addictive gameplay features I've ever experienced.

Anyways, if anyone's looking for a good single-player shooter with a different twist, check it out. Side note: it's third-person.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 25, 2014, 04:38 AM

Firefly thread too old to bump, but the Firefly Online game is still happening, and the original cast are involved now Firefly's Whole Cast Will Reunite for Firefly Online

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 25, 2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
At the recommendation of a friend, I gave Sniper Elite 3 a chance. I've been looking for a single-player shooter experience to hold me over, and I'm really glad I tried it out.

It's not a great game exactly, but it's definitely a lot of fun, with the x-ray kill cam being one of the most addictive gameplay features I've ever experienced.

Anyways, if anyone's looking for a good single-player shooter with a different twist, check it out. Side note: it's third-person.
I've been waiting for the price to drop, though to their credit it debuted at $50.

P
Jul 28, 2014, 06:06 AM

Bioware has shown some early info about the next Mass Effect:

Mass Effect (4): First Details & Images [Update 2: Video of Mako driving around] - NeoGAF

Very little real info, other than that is not ME4, does not involve Shepherd and may even be in a new galaxy. Showing off the Mako (the ATV car thing from the first) so much I almost got a Skyrim-in-space-vibe.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 28, 2014, 10:28 AM

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2014, 01:24 PM

Something tells me you're still gonna buy it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 28, 2014, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Something tells me you're still gonna buy it.
You think I didn't learn my lesson from Reach? The SP is inferior to Borderlands. 2.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jul 28, 2014, 03:32 PM

I'm also in the will-not-buy camp. Disappointing, my PS4 will continue to go mostly unused.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2014, 04:50 PM

Soooo, why should I buy a PS4 again?

Tentative purchase date, my birthday.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 28, 2014, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post

Battlefield Hardli–

The Last of U–

Call of Dut–

Driveclub, FarCry 4, and Planetside (Assuming that doesn't get delayed.... again)

BF4 will still be viable as well, probably.

Assassin's Creed Unity has an outside chance of being good (4 player co-op)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 28, 2014, 05:34 PM

Most likely get the remastered Last of Us. FC4 and Planetside are definite frontrunners. Also, I'm going to need a new TV.....

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 28, 2014, 05:40 PM

No Man's Sky.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 28, 2014, 07:00 PM

Most likely get the remastered Last of Us. FC4 and Planetside are definite frontrunners. Also, I'm going to need a new TV.....
I had forgotten you're still in glorious interlace.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jul 29, 2014, 02:07 AM

PS4 The Last Of Us? Yeah yeah, PS1 is where it's at
NeoGAF turns modern games into PSOne-era classics! - NeoGAF

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2014, 12:13 PM

In case you needed a reminder that gamestop actively dick over their customers 24/7
GameStop to roll out a credit card with a really high interest rate - Destructoid

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2014, 01:14 PM

26.99%?!!

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Jul 29, 2014, 01:53 PM

In case you needed a reminder that gamestop actively dick over their customers 24/7
GameStop to roll out a credit card with a really high interest rate - Destructoid
That's not like an EXTRA screwjob over normal credit card company usury. The WalMart card is about as bad, and so are introductory cards.

That said, Gamestop.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2014, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by EstaNightshift View Post
WalMart
Oh yeah, that paragon of business.

Forum Links
Forum Rules