Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Palm Probs w/ 9.0.4

Palm Probs w/ 9.0.4
sfr79
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 4, 2000, 10:22 PM

I can not get my Handspring to sync w/ my computer ever since I've updated to 9.0.4. Does anyone have any suggestions?
The computer won't respond to the requests to sync.
Its a Bronze G3

Thanks

ChuckL
Apr 4, 2000, 11:28 PM

Not that this will help you, but after reading your post, I ran a sync of my Palm and it worked fine, so it doesn't necessarily seem to be a universal problem with the combination.

Carson Au
Apr 4, 2000, 11:29 PM

I have just upgraded to 9.04 and my Palm 3 sync fine.

can't sync
Apr 5, 2000, 12:52 AM

There are problems with Palm Desktop's abilily to sync on USB based systems under Mac OS versions 9.0.2 through 9.0.4. Non-USB Macs work fine. It's apparently a relatively obscure bug on Palm's part that was unmasked with some of the changes to USB in the most recent versions of the Mac OS. Palm is reportedly working on an update for compatibility. I'd check their site in the coming weeks for an update.

sfdj
Apr 5, 2000, 08:26 AM

I'm using Palm V with USB Connetion Kit.... it's a No GO. I've read other people having the exact same problem in the forums. This is really frustrating. I thought Apple said that "they're working closely with Palm" Such BS!! I hope the bug fix is out soon or I'm going crazy!! BTW.... SW Update never works.... keeps telling me there's nothing new, and Apple wants you to run it after upgrading to 9.0.4.... HOW!!!!???

MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2000, 08:37 AM

Hmm this seems to be a Handspring problem as I'm having the same difficulties.. My comp (iMacDV 400mhz G3) fails after the determining handheld configuration step. I checked the log and I found that whatever it is, it's an error...

This is what I found.. I'm guessing when it hits the first conduit,it creates an error.

Loading "Install Conduit"
Conduit "Install" version 2.0.0
Sync type is Fast
- Failed with error number 25616
synchronization failed
Install synchronization failed
HotSync Canceled 4/5/00 7:41:02 AM

I'll email or call HS CS.

you should do the same so they can fix it.

Mike
2009 MacMini 2.0 C2D 4GB (3,1) - Needs update!
11" MBA (2010 1.6GHz C2D)
iPhone 4 / iPad!
Hooked on Apple since the IIGS

sfdj
Apr 5, 2000, 08:53 AM

I got the Exact Same error message with Palm V using the USB connection kit. So far it's been the same error according to what I've read in dofferent forums... Palm software problem maybe?!

jellinek
Apr 5, 2000, 09:07 AM

I had trouble with my iMac SE/Palm sync after the update. It removes, as far as I can tell, the HotSyncLib.PPC. No way to get it "back" short of using the installer (CD or Online) to reinstall "hotsync software". Then no problems.
Interestingly, this also seems to have screwed up my DHCP lease on my cable modem, forcing a shut down of the Mac/reset of the modem.
Hope this helps.

dj

MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2000, 10:33 AM

Okay I'll try to reinstall the Palm software when I get home today. Hopefully all will be well and I'll have one less thing to worry about before finals come along!

Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Palm User
Apr 5, 2000, 11:44 AM

For what it might be worth, I am using a Palm Vx on a PowerBook G3 (99,Lombard, Bronze, whatever you please) and a Keyspan PDA-USB Adpater.

Once I upgraded to 9.0.4 HotSyncing fails a few moments after it starts with no warning, logs or messages.

I tried experimenting around with my conduits and it appears that removing the Back Up Conduit from the Conduits folder allows the HotSync to go ahead, although you will get a warning message at the end that the some data was not backed up, the log will tell you that the back up conduit could not be found.

The same scenario occurs replacing the Back Up Conduit with the BackUpBuddy Conduit.

At least, under this set up, it appears everything but system info and actual .prc files gets synced. More testing to be done.

Would have been nice if someone at Apple or Plam had mentioned this before I installed the 9.04 upgrade, oh well...

patrickgibson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 5, 2000, 12:06 PM

I have a Palm Vx with 9.0.4 and a Momentum uConnect USB to serial adapter. I had a bunch of problems this morning too -- the transfer kept getting "interupted". I disabled my Outlook Express conduit and it started working again. Could've been a fluke, but then again maybe not...
patrick gibson
http://patrickg.com/

Apr 5, 2000, 05:34 PM

After installing 9.04, I reinstalled the Palm software and now my computer will not boot with the Instant Palm Desktop extension. It booted before, but would abort the sync process in the middle. (B&W G3 with Keyspan PDA adapter & Palm Pro.)

MikeD
Mac Elite
Apr 5, 2000, 06:46 PM

I did what Palm User suggested with the backup conduit and everything worked! Thank goodness! I thought i wasn't going to able to synch all this data and reinstall MultiMail Pro!! Phew! Now if only somone will fix this so I can back up my files and rest assured that I'll be able to retrive them if that dreadful day should come where I NEED the reinstall backup files option!

Mike
iPhone 4 / iPad!

Trapper
Forum Regular
Apr 5, 2000, 08:25 PM

I updated to 9.0.4 this morning and I originally had problems syncing with my palm. However, I used Pogue's ZTerm trick, and that cleared everything up. Works like a charm now.

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

sfdj
Apr 6, 2000, 03:21 AM

After talking to Palm..... Got the following solution.... Make a copy of the "OS9 All" extension set then add 1. Inatant Palm Desktop, 2. Palm Connect USB, 3. Palm Connect USB SerialHAL, 4. Palm Connect USB SerialShim extensions to the set and save it. You would be able to Sync fine if you start the Mac with this set of extension. So far it's the only way that works for me. It's very annoying to have to restart to HotSync.... but at least right now it's the only way to have it done. Anyone have other solutions?! I don't even load my file sharing extension... do I need that at all?! I'm not connected to any other computer....... Good Luck!!

Trapper
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2000, 08:50 AM

sfdj: Try the ZTerm trick.

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

gardnern
Apr 6, 2000, 11:31 AM

Using a B&W G3 with a Visor there are a couple of other work arounds. You can take the Palm Users and user profile folder out of the Users folder, run the hotsync software and create a profile with the same name and everything will sync/install/backup the first time, it breaks afterwards.
This is lame and time consuming, however, I just re-installed OS 9 back over 9.0.4, and everything works. Just installing USB software from the 9 CD doesn't unfortunately.

I'd like to try the zterm hack, but I only see reference to it, no explanation fo what it is or how to do it?

Trapper
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2000, 12:09 PM

Hi. About the ZTerm trick:

Try looking here: http://forums.macnn.com/cgi-bin/Forum5/HTML/001943.html

Let me know if this helps. I'd be interested to know if others have had the same type of success that I have.

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

gardnern
Apr 6, 2000, 12:48 PM

I think I see the disparagement here... I'm syncing directly to USB. As Zterm is fundamentally a serial port application, can't get much help from it via USB. Thanks for the info though!

Trapper
Forum Regular
Apr 6, 2000, 01:12 PM

gardnern: I have an iMac - a USB machine. The ZTerm trick works for me. My God man, why wouldn't you try a solution before deciding that it doesn't work. The Cartesian approach to experimentation is now centuries old: Evidence precedes conclusion!

ZTerm detects the USB port! That's all I have to say on the matter.

------------------
Travis Hreno
Department of Philosophy
London, Ontario
CANADA
[email protected]
Travis

Palm User
Apr 6, 2000, 04:19 PM

Here's an update.

I posted earlier that removing the Back Up conduit from the Conduits Folder allowed HotSyncing to work just fine under 9.0.4 upgrade (Palm Vx, Keyspan adapter, Bonze PowerBook).

From the MacFixit boards I picked up a tip that deleting the contents of your backups folder (in your Palm user) folder helps.

Sure enough, I deleted all of the files in this folder (after making a copy, just in case) and put the Back Up Conduit back in (the Conduits Folder) and everything works just fine. Even put the BackUpBuddy Conduit back in place, no problems.

Go Figure.

To repeat, I have not re-installed system software or Palm software, I have not reverted to earlier versions of anything, no ZTerm tricks... just delete everything in the Backups folder and start again.

Hope this helps anyone (someone?).

SM
Apr 6, 2000, 09:26 PM

I have an iMac/266 ("Rev. B") w/160Mb RAM and VM on (& sometimes off, depending on moon fullness), with a Handspring Visor and Palm Desktop 2.1.

I ran Disk First Aid, then Disk Warrior, then TechTool to rebuild my desktop file, just to make sure everything was OK, but nothing else. I then installed 9.0.4. I then ran QuickTime Updater and updated that. I then Sync'd my Handspring Visor without problem. Just to make sure, I entered some dummy entries into the Visor and into the desktop software. Everything showed up in both when I was done. I have Sync'd several times without issue. The Log file on the Visor showed everything OK every time. I do not usually have the Instant Palm Desktop installed, so I then installed it (and restarted) and again Sync'd without a problem. I didn't use ZTerm, I didn't jockey around with conduits or the contents of the backup folder.

I realize this doesn't help those that have problems, but it illustrates that there appears to be nothing fundamentally wrong with 9.0.4 and Visor and Destop Software 2.1. Those that use Palms with different versions of the Desktop software may want to investigate that (?).

wlonh
Professional Poster
Apr 7, 2000, 09:37 AM

macintouch:

"On a slot-loading iMac, I was having problems - freezing and intermittent crashing - with Mac OS 9 and a Keyspan USB PDA Adapter. I downloaded the latest drivers from Keyspan and updated to 9.0.4 all to no avail. Then I remembered Answering was enabled in Apple Remote Access. Haven't had a problem since I turned it off."

[This message has been edited by wlonh (edited 04-07-2000).]

Mark Underwood
Apr 7, 2000, 09:52 AM

Tried the removing backup folder files and sure enough, the initial synch worked. But when you do any subsequent synchs, it's back to the original problem. No response from either Palm or Handspring, and if you try and disable any of the new USB upgrades from Apple (not replace, disable), no luck either.

Tony Moller
Apr 7, 2000, 10:38 AM

This is a tip from macfixit.com. Turn off File Sharing. Worked for me. FYI, I have a Palm IIIx and a Bronze/Lombard Powerbook 333. I would like to see this problem fixed, though.

Tony

mikecaseyedtech
Apr 7, 2000, 10:50 AM

i installed 9.04 and am using a Palm III with a KeySpan twin serial adapter and it works just fine....

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2000, 11:01 AM

For those having problems with hotsync, consider this.

I've had problems in the past syncing with a G3 tower (serial) and my iMac (USB via keyspan USB/PDA adaptor). Two problems which I have found to occur. These usually result in a sync starting but suddenly failing without any reason given except to say that the connection between your palm and the desktop computer was lost.

First problem was inadequate memory allocation to "conduit manager" in the palm folder. Go under "get info" and increase the memory allocation to around 9MB or so.

Second problem is that the palm and the desktop could not find a common rate to exchange. Go under "HotSync manager" to "Setup". Click on "Serial Port Settings" tab. There is a pop-up menu by the Local Setup portion that says speed. Set this to 9600, then try to Hotsync again. If you are having this problem, it will usually result in an error message and an abort of the Hotsync shortly after beginning.

None of these fixes will help if your computer does not begin a hotsync initially.

Hope this helps.

michel
Apr 7, 2000, 11:32 AM

I had intermittent problems syncing using the Palm IIIe to my G4 using the Palm USB adapter. A trick that has worked nearly all the time with me is:

1. Make sure hotsync is NOT enabled at startup.

2. Plug USB adapter into USB port (if it's already plugged in, unplug, then plug in again). I use the Keyboard USB port since it's easiest to access.

3. Turn on Hotsyncing

4. Hotsync away.

If you have to restart your computer, remember to start again at step 1.

Michel
[email protected]

Dan Hendricks
Apr 7, 2000, 11:33 AM

I've had the same problem using 9.0.4 with USB. Palm Tech support was no help. Here's the only work around I have found. If I turn file sharing off, the Palm syncs fine. After the sync, I have to restart file sharing. I don't know if this will work for anyone else, but it has been fine for me so far.

BSV
Apr 7, 2000, 11:41 AM

For what its worth...
On my B&W G3 evrything works just fine wih my Palm Vx and after installing 9.0.4.
I did take the pre-caution of installing 9.0.4 with my system set to Mac OS 9 ALL even though it wasn't supposed to be needed. Then I just made sure that all the previous palm stuff was added to the extension set (copy of the old set).

Smooth sailing from there...

BSV

Originally posted by ryarber:
For those having problems with hotsync, consider this.

I've had problems in the past syncing with a G3 tower (serial) and my iMac (USB via keyspan USB/PDA adaptor). Two problems which I have found to occur. These usually result in a sync starting but suddenly failing without any reason given except to say that the connection between your palm and the desktop computer was lost.

First problem was inadequate memory allocation to "conduit manager" in the palm folder. Go under "get info" and increase the memory allocation to around 9MB or so.

Second problem is that the palm and the desktop could not find a common rate to exchange. Go under "HotSync manager" to "Setup". Click on "Serial Port Settings" tab. There is a pop-up menu by the Local Setup portion that says speed. Set this to 9600, then try to Hotsync again. If you are having this problem, it will usually result in an error message and an abort of the Hotsync shortly after beginning.

None of these fixes will help if your computer does not begin a hotsync initially.

Hope this helps.

Mark Underwood
Apr 7, 2000, 11:41 AM

Yep, the "turn file sharing off" works again and again. Okay, Palm Support, here's the work around -- now work on the fix. ;-)

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 7, 2000, 12:44 PM

Edit: I'm actually using Palm Desktop 2.5 (not 2.1 as I wrote previously)

I recently upgraded to a Palm IIIxe after my Palm IIIx was stolen. For some reason, HotSynching doesn't work anymore, it doesn't even initiate.

I use my Palm IIIxe with Palm Desktop 2.5 on a Rev.A iMac with the Keyspan USB PDA adapter. The catch is that I am still using Mac OS 8.6. Any troubleshooting suggestions? Has anybody with a Palm OS 3.5 device experienced similar problems? Is it possible that the OS 9.0.4 problem is not limited to that version of the OS?

[This message has been edited by escher (edited 04-08-2000).]
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

Russkle
Apr 7, 2000, 01:38 PM

I was having problems syching via USB after upgrading to 9.04. Got some error about "port already in use". I see here about some complex trick using Zterm. To much trouble....

Here is the fix for me.... you milage may vary.

Install USB Card Support 1.4.1 at http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11543.

Simple enough.

Russ

me1
Apr 7, 2000, 01:39 PM

According to Handspring:

Go to your folder.....Palm:Users:username:Backups.

DELETE the backups folder. Now you can sync.

Works until the have a fix.

birdy
Apr 7, 2000, 02:10 PM

My Palm V sync flawlessly with my powerbook, under OS 9.0.4, this is not an univeral problem as some have said.

alkelson
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2000, 03:09 PM

I'm glad to see it's not just me (PB G3/400, Sys 9.0.4, Visor). Everything was peachy under Sys 9. Now I get the same sudden quit as so many others--indicating a -25616 error on the Install conduit. (Removing Backup conduit no help; neither is removing backup files or backup folder. It makes a new Backups folder, then craps out.) File sharing is off. Modem isn't set on answer. etc. Turning off or removing various other conduits doesn't work either.

------------------
Allen Kelson
Allen Kelson

dtsteele
Apr 7, 2000, 03:35 PM

I just installed OS 9.04 (upgraded) on my G3 PB and then read of the Visor sync problems My first attempt to sync failed but I only have access to IRLink right now and was on battery in the backyard. No luck!
I rebooted and went on power and the next time everything seemed fine. I will keep my eye on the situation for other clues or problems.
Good luck!
Dale

Apr 7, 2000, 03:57 PM

I am running a G4 w/ Handspring and haven't experienced any sync problems since installation, which I performed after installing OS 9.0.4.

Maybe fully reinstalling Palm software after updating to 9.0.4 would be a good idea?

Eric

James Hoover
Apr 7, 2000, 04:22 PM

I've had no problem with OS 9.0.4 & syncing the Visor Deluxe on both a B/W G3 & Bronze Powerbook.

I recently discovered using MultiMailPro, if the mailbox on the Visor has too many messages, that will cause the hot sync to quit. Deleting messages & emptying the trash did the trick.

Visor
Apr 7, 2000, 04:23 PM

i've use OS 9, and now 9.04. when i can't sync i just soft re-set my visor and it'll work again.

Mark Burr
Apr 7, 2000, 05:37 PM

Hi there,

I have the same problems with the error code and have found that removing the 9.04 enabler and restarting allows me to hotsync.

(iMac SE)

jpenderg
Apr 7, 2000, 07:08 PM

I had the exact same problem, except I was using a Palm IIIx connected to a revA iMac via a Keyspan adaptor. The problem resolves when I erase my user folder, but as soon as I try to install something, I get the same error message as below.

I'm almost glad this is a OS update problem -- I've had some many sync problems before that I never got a real explanation for; they only disappeared after random fiddling with my USB ports, etc.

Jacob

Originally posted by MikeD:
Hmm this seems to be a Handspring problem as I'm having the same difficulties.. My comp (iMacDV 400mhz G3) fails after the determining handheld configuration step. I checked the log and I found that whatever it is, it's an error...

This is what I found.. I'm guessing when it hits the first conduit,it creates an error.

Loading "Install Conduit"
Conduit "Install" version 2.0.0
Sync type is Fast
- Failed with error number 25616
synchronization failed
Install synchronization failed
HotSync Canceled 4/5/00 7:41:02 AM

I'll email or call HS CS.

you should do the same so they can fix it.

Mike

Balthisar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 7, 2000, 07:41 PM

Hey, you PowerBook G3 owners, just thought I'd add that we can forget the entire USB and adapter mess and synch via infrared. It's really a whole lot more handy. I *think* (but don't know) that the older Rev A. and/or Rev B. iMacs had irDA ports? If so, they might can synch via infrared too.

To enable the Palm to synch via infrared, you may have to look on the original Windows CD-ROM or the MacPac software for the infrared libraries to install into the Palm, and maybe an extension to install into the Mac. Also, I think I read that the newest Palm OS includes the infrared libraries, but I don't know, since I'm still using the circa Jun 99 built-in firmware.

Jim

russkle
Apr 7, 2000, 11:23 PM

people... I hear many of you having the SAME problems I was having... simply installing the NEW usb 1.4.1 drivers resolved all. None of this removing or replacing sync extensions. Simply install the 1.4.1 drivers. please try it before you reinstall 9.0.... just try it...

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 7, 2000, 11:34 PM

I was having problems with my sync failing when I got to the backup part of the sync. A solution I found was to increase memory allocation to the conduit manager to about 9MB

Neesley
Apr 8, 2000, 09:58 AM

Where can the 1.4.1 update be found?

Version Tracker had no mention of it.

Russkle
Apr 8, 2000, 12:24 PM

http://asu.info.apple.com/swupdates.nsf/artnum/n11543

This is the link to the USB 1.4.1 drivers. Just did a search on VersionTracker for USB and it was like the 5-6 item.

sfdj
Apr 8, 2000, 06:39 PM

It says on the Apple site that the USB driver 1.4.1 is ONLY for Mac with USB cards in the PCI slot... and Can Not be installed on a Mac with Buit-in USB. So it doesn't work for all the newer Mac owners.... I'm sure that's "a lot" of us.... yeah... including me. We'll just have to call and email Palm everyday so they'll come up with the fix very soon..... :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules