Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Where to Work and Where to Live?

Where to Work and Where to Live?
krillbee
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2006, 04:21 AM

Right now I just got done working a 3 month contract as a IT Desktop Support personel. I live in the Twin Cities, MN. I have no job plans, and havent a clue what i want to do. Last spring i graduated with a Psych degree. We'll see if i actually end up using it or not, lol.

Honestly, right now I just want a job that pays 30k+ per year, isnt super stressful, and doesnt take up more than 40 hours of my week (and preferably nor more than a 20 minute oneway commute). preferably no more contract jobs. I am skilled in basic IT stuff and of course there's that psych degree / business minor.

I'm also trying to figure out where I'm going to live in the future. Currently I'm living at home with the parents, and I want to move out soon. But I'm scared I couldnt afford it. I also dont like living with roomates either, lol. People tell me living alone is bad for one's mental health, but i guess i wouldnt know, never having done it. Someday I'd like to buy a small house. I could see myself getting married in the future, but not having kids.

any thoughts/advice?

Paco500
Professional Poster
Oct 24, 2006, 09:34 AM

Wow. Pretty lofty requirements. Is 30k+ a lot in MN, or decent entry-level?

I would suggest that you forgo some of your requirments to meet future goals. Finding a job that pays well, isn't super stressful, doesn't require more than 40 hours a week and has room to grow is going to be tough. Especially in IT where you will most likely be worked like an animal.

Perhaps if you want low stress, growth path, no more than 40 hours a week, you shuold look in to Federal Governement work. Get in while you young and you will have a job for life. An uninteresting, boring, bureaucratic life.

Obviously, DC area is the best place to get in to the government, but they are everywhere. There are federal job search sites out there.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2006, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Wow. Pretty lofty requirements. Is 30k+ a lot in MN, or decent entry-level?

I would suggest that you forgo some of your requirments to meet future goals. Finding a job that pays well, isn't super stressful, doesn't require more than 40 hours a week and has room to grow is going to be tough. Especially in IT where you will most likely be worked like an animal.

Perhaps if you want low stress, growth path, no more than 40 hours a week, you shuold look in to Federal Governement work. Get in while you young and you will have a job for life. An uninteresting, boring, bureaucratic life.

Obviously, DC area is the best place to get in to the government, but they are everywhere. There are federal job search sites out there.

Well, I'm not sure if 30k is a lot or not. I know living expenses are higher up here. I think that many college grads tend to make 30-40k entry level.

The thing about the craziness in IT is that it just isnt healthy. I want to start dating women and one day get married. I cant do that if my mind is too focused on work. I'm 22 years old, never been in a relationship before, and therefore i need to grow up socially.

Government work sounds fine. I dont mind a boring job, and i figure that what we do after the work shift is more important than what we do during the work shift.

It just sucks cuz I'm horrible and deciding when i have too many options, and there are too many options with a psych major. there is no specific path.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2006, 04:22 AM

Is there anywhere in the US that $30,000 is considered "a lot"? Because I want to go there.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Is there anywhere in the US that $30,000 is considered "a lot"? Because I want to go there.
Salaries scale with cost of living for the most part. There are areas where that's not true, just as any general rule doesn't apply to all. The places you want to go are where salaries for your job type are high compared to the cost of living.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 07:35 AM

I say move to Florida. Yes, housing is becoming more expensive here, but we're scarce on land, so it's a decent bet that it will continue to rise, so you'd make good money on owning down here (as long as you don't head to WPB/Miami or Sarasota, which are already quite high).

In the Tampa area, IT people are in demand, so finding a job is pretty easy right now.

iranfromthezoo
Senior User
Oct 25, 2006, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
for $30,000 Mississippi is your choice...heck if you come out making $20,000 your doing good...sad isn't it...
yeah I know...

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 25, 2006, 11:45 AM

I friggon hate contract jobs. no sustainable income is pretty scary.

Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2006, 12:26 PM

Southcentral Kentucky.

Lots of automotive-related manufacturing jobs that pay $30,000+ and housing costs are super low. All the girls are pretty and polite.

That being said, I'm dying to get out of here.

gumby5647
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2006, 01:02 PM

Omaha is a pretty freak'n sweet little town....

but then again...so are the Twin Cities.
AIM: bmichel5581
MacBook 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
160GB

fibroptikl
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 12:25 AM

How much experience do you have in IT?

If you have some decent experience you should be able to find some jobs in the cities (I live in Apple Valley). If not, your Psychology/business degree will help you more.

krillbee  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2006, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by fibroptikl View Post
How much experience do you have in IT?

If you have some decent experience you should be able to find some jobs in the cities (I live in Apple Valley). If not, your Psychology/business degree will help you more.
I have experience selling computers to people and fixing computers for people in highschool.
I worked at the computer helpdesk at my college for 2 years, and i worked at another college helpdesk full time for 3 months after i was finished with school.

Forum Links
Forum Rules