Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > ooh something new from microsoft

ooh something new from microsoft
Gator Lager
Senior User
Feb 27, 2006, 09:59 AM

Don't know what the program does, but I like the Apple Aqua look to it.
http://www.origamiproject.com/1/

der on me it a "versions of Windows Vista to be released by Microsoft"

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 10:02 AM

Typical shitty flash with spinning circles.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Feb 27, 2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
microsoft internet bling

interesting read
http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/84236/mi...-versions.html

plagiarize-to copy, infringe the copyright of, pirate, steal, poach, appropriate; informal rip off, crib, “borrow”, pinch.

oh well even Steve admitted to it when he quoted Pablo Picasso,
'good artist copy, great artist steal'

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 10:18 AM

Gator Lager, maybe this is a different quote, but i thought it was "Talent borrows, genius steals." by Oscar Wilde. My favourite version of that is by Designers Republic "Talent borrows, genius steals, s**t copies."

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

demibob
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2006, 10:45 AM

Krypton
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 03:26 PM

Apparently the device in the marketing video is a year old; Thursday will see something sleeker and maybe even smaller.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2006, 04:47 PM

Origami could be a problem for Apple. If it's released, it would be perfect for 1-2-1 deployment in schools.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

ambush
Banned
Feb 27, 2006, 05:46 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV1WG...ject%20origami

there it is

less than impressive IMHO

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 27, 2006, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by ambush
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV1WG...ject%20origami

there it is

less than impressive IMHO
First Microsoft PC? Entirely text recognition based interface? Looked pretty impressive to me.
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

DarwinX
Feb 27, 2006, 06:24 PM

I think it looks pretty cool, but nowhere near the universal appeal of an iPod.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2006, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
I work for the company that did this. In our defence, the client *insisted* on this approach.

We all hate it.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 07:34 PM

Microsoft seems to be on the right track with this. My only concern would be its user friendliness.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2006, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by capuchin
I work for the company that did this. In our defence, the client *insisted* on this approach.

We all hate it.

Who's idea was it to bite off the OSX desktop pic?

On a side note this origami is as big as a newton 2000. It will bomb.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2006, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by capuchin

We all hate it.
Why? I thought it was great...and the product looks kick-ass.

I want one.

...hope the packaging doesn't end up like this http://www.youtube.com/?v=VAGr3mVVUwE
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 27, 2006, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by shunt
Why? I thought it was great...and the product looks kick-ass.

...hope the packaging doesn't end up like this http://www.youtube.com/?v=VAGr3mVVUwE
... which was also a movie produced by our company for Microsoft. We did it for an internal sales pitch last year, and it was supposed to never, ever, ever see the light of day in public.

We've been fielding enraged phone calls from Redmond all morning. Laughable, as we're not the ones who leaked it.
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

shunt
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2006, 08:28 PM

woah, what are the chances ...

anyways, really nice execution on the parody.

mad skillz, propz, etc.
Please keep in mind the ambiguously selective general understandings we've all agreed upon...

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 27, 2006, 08:37 PM

Wasn't someone recently joking about Apple creating a new Etch-A-Sketch device? Seems M$ beat Apple to that market. It looks like a child's toy.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Feb 27, 2006, 08:43 PM

Looks like a modern incarnation of the Newton. Apple could probably do it better, but won't for reasons that are beyond me.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 08:45 PM

As I said in the thread in which this discussion should be taking place, I think the little thingy in that really long video looks awesome. Probably not awesome enough to make me want to put up a Microsoft UI, but close. If Apple made essentially the same thing, though, I'd be all over it.

Thing is, the chance of them bringing something like that to market at a price low enough to sell lots of 'em seems kinda slim. Microsoft might be able to afford taking a loss on such a thing for a while until component prices come down.

But anyway, as was already mentioned, that video is old and the real origami may be very different..

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
Apple could probably do it better, but won't for reasons that are beyond me.
I think the reason is fairly sensible: A lot of people would see the product and think "that's awesome!" But only a small fraction of those people would actually shell out for it, because for all its wow factor, they'd probably decide they could live without it or spend a little more on a laptop.

But believe me, I'd love to be wrong.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 27, 2006, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug
I think the reason is fairly sensible: A lot of people would see the product and think "that's awesome!" But only a small fraction of those people would actually shell out for it, because for all its wow factor, they'd probably decide they could live without it or spend a little more on a laptop.

But believe me, I'd love to be wrong.
Exactly. Ideally, I would think something like this would need to be priced in the $400-500 range to generate any significant sales. Realistically, I think this would drop in the range of $600-700, which puts it much too close to laptop prices.

RGB
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2006, 09:24 PM

If it can't fit in a pocket,

It can't be very useful for mass consumption.

ambush
Banned
Feb 27, 2006, 11:56 PM

you can quote me on this: biggest flop of 2006.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 12:32 AM

All it takes are a few school districts deciding to give one of these to each student, and the target price point looks to be under $500.

Gator Lager  (op)
Senior User
Feb 28, 2006, 12:41 AM

was just reading this
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tdevice27.html

"Gates said at the time that he would like to see a device such as the Ultra Mobile have an all-day battery life, weigh less than a pound and cost as little as $800. Other Microsoft executives went even further, citing a possible target price range of $500 to $800"

ajprice
Gator Lager, maybe this is a different quote, but i thought it was "Talent borrows, genius steals." by Oscar Wilde. My favourite version of that is by Designers Republic "Talent borrows, genius steals, s**t copies."

ha , more P.C.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2006, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager
was just reading this
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/busine...tdevice27.html

"Gates said at the time that he would like to see a device such as the Ultra Mobile have an all-day battery life, weigh less than a pound and cost as little as $800. Other Microsoft executives went even further, citing a possible target price range of $500 to $800"
HA! I totally called it.

At $800, this thing will tank. Get a Palm TX at over half the price and you can do nearly everything that the Origami does. If there's a feature missing from the TX that people absolutely need, they'll get a laptop instead.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by El Gato
HA! I totally called it.

At $800, this thing will tank. Get a Palm TX at over half the price and you can do nearly everything that the Origami does. If there's a feature missing from the TX that people absolutely need, they'll get a laptop instead.
I doubt it. It's more portable than a laptop, just as powerful from reports, and could probably take more abuse than laptops (i.e it would be good for schools).

I think the biggest problem will be Microsoft not delaying this thing until 2010.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by goMac
I doubt it. It's more portable than a laptop, just as powerful from reports, and could probably take more abuse than laptops (i.e it would be good for schools).

I think the biggest problem will be Microsoft not delaying this thing until 2010.
Is there anything from M$ you don't have positive words for?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2006, 02:03 AM

Precisely why I think that something like a TX would be more appropriate, especially when considering how they were showing the Origami being used. If the price point is within a couple hundred dollars of laptop pricing, people will opt for a laptop. I just don't see a market for a laptop replacement that costs nearly as much as a laptop.

At $400-500, though, I can see it doing well.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Feb 28, 2006, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by El Gato
Precisely why I think that something like a TX would be more appropriate, especially when considering how they were showing the Origami being used. If the price point is within a couple hundred dollars of laptop pricing, people will opt for a laptop. I just don't see a market for a laptop replacement that costs nearly as much as a laptop.

At $400-500, though, I can see it doing well.
Sure, but a Palm pilot is horrible for students. No good internet or email. No full featured desktop applications, etc...

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Feb 28, 2006, 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gator Lager
My favorite is "Good artists create, great artists steal." I'm not sure where it comes from, but I learned it as a newspaper design axiom.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

TheMule
Feb 28, 2006, 02:40 AM

My favorite is "Good artists create, great artists steal."
=======

I think Picasso said it.

El Gato
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 28, 2006, 04:21 AM

Sure, but a Palm pilot is horrible for students. No good internet or email. No full featured desktop applications, etc...
FWIW, I use my TC all the time at school, and leave my iBook at home. I can hop onto the school's network for web and email and I use Docs to Go for all my MS Office stuff - what more does a student need?

While it's not a complete laptop replacement, it does enough of what I need throughout the day that paying $600-800 for MS's new toy is just ridiculous. Like I said, if you need functionality that a Palm or iPaq doesn't provide, at that price you're going to go with a laptop instead.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2006, 05:12 AM

Newton 2.0!! Because it worked so well the first time. Forgive me while I don't spend money on a crap MS product.

Forum Links
Forum Rules