Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > persistant changes to ipfw (internal firewall)

persistant changes to ipfw (internal firewall)
udecker
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2001, 12:03 PM

Someone on here recently posted the following snippet for the terminal:

sudo ipfw add deny from any to any 2222

to add a rule to the internal firewall to block all UDP traffic across port 2222.

It was stated that this "adds" the rule to the firewall, and that it will last through subsequent reboots.

However, if I check sudo ipwf show at some point after a reboot, the rule is no longer there.

Does anyone know a way to keep these rules in the firewall, or must I enter it manually every time I boot? (or in some rc script)
Thanks
-uD

Brazuca
Mac Elite
Nov 28, 2001, 07:33 PM

Originally posted by udecker:
<STRONG>Someone on here recently posted the following snippet for the terminal:

to add a rule to the internal firewall to block all UDP traffic across port 2222.

It was stated that this "adds" the rule to the firewall, and that it will last through subsequent reboots.

However, if I check sudo ipwf show at some point after a reboot, the rule is no longer there.

Does anyone know a way to keep these rules in the firewall, or must I enter it manually every time I boot? (or in some rc script)
Thanks
-uD</STRONG>
If you use Brickhouse, will it work?
"It's about time trees did something good insted of just standing there LIKE JERKS!" :)

rantweasel
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2001, 07:35 PM

Originally posted by udecker:
<STRONG>Someone on here recently posted the following snippet for the terminal:

</STRONG>
This does add the rule, but it doesn't make sure that the rule will get added at bootup, which is what you need to do to get it to make it through reboots. You'll need to create a startup item for that in /Library/StartupItems. If you've done that before, it should be no problem. If you haven't, here's what I have in my /Library/StartupItems/Firewall - a file called Firewall, which checks the kernel config and opens the rule file, a file called firewall.conf which contains all of the rules I want to load, and a file called StartupParameters.plist which is a basic plist file for the firewall. Then I added a line to /private/etc/hostconfig to toggle the firewall on and off as needed:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
FIREWALL=-YES-
</font>[/code]

Firewall looks like this:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1"face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial">code:</font><HR><pre><font size=1 face=courier>
#!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

##
# start the server or not?
##

if [ <font color = red>"${FIREWALL:=-NO-}"</font> = <font color = red>"-YES-"</font> ]; then

ConsoleMessage <font color = red>"Starting ipfw firewall"</font>

#
# let's enable verbose logging in the kernel
#

if [ `/usr/sbin/sysctl -n net.inet.ip.fw.verbose` == <font color = blue>0</font> ] ; then
/usr/sbin/sysctl -w net.inet.ip.fw.verbose=<font color = blue>1</font>
fi

#
# start from nothing
#

/sbin/ipfw -q flush

#
# load the rules
#

/sbin/ipfw -q /Library/StartupItems/Firewall/firewall.conf

##
# well, firewall wasn't set in /etc/hostconfig
# so no firewall today...
##

fi

#
</font>[/code]

firewall.conf will vary, depending on what you want to block, but here's a snippet of what I have, for context:
#
# allow loopback
#
add <font color = blue>00750</font> allow ip from any to any via lo0
add <font color = blue>00751</font> allow ip from <font color = blue>127.0</font>.<font color = blue>0.1</font> to any via lo0
#
# deny ipoptions (source routing and fingerprinting)
#
add <font color = blue>00800</font> deny log ip from any to any ipoptions ssrr
add <font color = blue>00801</font> deny log ip from any to any ipoptions lsrr
#
# deny tcpflags used for fingerprinting
#
add <font color = blue>00850</font> deny log tcp from any to any tcpflags syn,fin
add <font color = blue>00851</font> deny log tcp from any to any tcpflags fin,urg,psh
add <font color = blue>00852</font> deny log tcp from any to any tcpflags !syn,!fin,!rst,!ack
#
# allow outbound
#
add <font color = blue>00995</font> allow ip from any to any out
#</font>[/code]
Those are rules that I would suggest are pretty useful in any firewall ruleset...

Here's the StartupParameters.plist:
&lt;?xml version=<font color = red>"<font color = blue>1.0</font>"</font> encoding=<font color = red>"UTF-<font color = blue>8</font>"</font>?&gt;
&lt;!DOCTYPE plist SYSTEM <font color = red>"file:<font color = brown>//localhost/System/Library/DTDs/PropertyList.dtd"</font>&gt;</font>
&lt;plist version=<font color = red>"<font color = blue>0.9</font>"</font>&gt;
&lt;dict&gt;
&lt;key&gt;Description&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;firewall&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;Messages&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;dict&gt;
&lt;key&gt;start&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;Starting firewall&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;stop&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;Stopping firewall&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;/dict&gt;
&lt;key&gt;OrderPreference&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;string&gt;Last&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;key&gt;Provides&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;array&gt;
&lt;string&gt;Firewall&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;/array&gt;
&lt;key&gt;Requires&lt;/key&gt;
&lt;array&gt;
&lt;string&gt;Resolver&lt;/string&gt;
&lt;/array&gt;
&lt;/dict&gt;
&lt;/plist&gt;</font>[/code]

This combination works fine for me, it never fails to start, it's stable, etc. There may be some weirdness in the plist, which I got from someone else, but I haven't really fiddled much with plist files, and this one is working...

rantweasel
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2001, 07:38 PM

I really should have pointed out that if you change the file names in my last post there, you need to change them in the Firewall script file, and that it's all caps sensitive due to it being shell script...

Forum Links
Forum Rules