Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone go from an iBook to an 15" Al Powerbook?

Anyone go from an iBook to an 15" Al Powerbook?
acidwizard
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2003, 10:52 PM

I've got a fairly new iBook (800 MHz, 12"), but I'm thinking of purchasing one of the new 15" Powerbooks.
Has anyone here done the same? I'd really like the hear about the differences first-hand.

lookmark
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2003, 11:17 PM

Well, I'll be soon moving to an early dual-USB 500mhz iBook (with that damn 66mhz bus and 8MB of video RAM) to a either 1Ghz or 1.25Ghz 15" Al.

I expect to see some improvement.

@ho
Sep 24, 2003, 11:56 PM

I order mine last tuesday, still it hasnt ship, I order from Macmall where I had great experiences before, they told me apple is not delivering the quantities they need to supply demand.
My actual computer is an ibook dual usb 500 cd-rw, and hope with the larger screen and bigger hard drive can do more with it.
I ordered with superdrive since it will be my main computer, I have others on the office but this one is only for me, I just buy my first digital videocamera I cant wait to edit in imovie and burn dvds,
For anyone who is going to upgrade anything go for the best you can afford, this way it will last more and wont feel bad severals months later

pbook28
Sep 25, 2003, 03:06 AM

I have done just that! I came from an ibook 700 and went with the 1.25Ghz powerbook, which I am typing with right now. It's great, and the video performance is excellent. My ibook used to slow down a bunch which made playing warcraft an unfare advantage to anyone against me. Now, it runs very smooth and the larger screen helps too. I'm really happy with my purchase and if you get one, I know you'll love it!

acidwizard  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2003, 01:20 PM

Thanks for the replies. My main concern right now is battery life, since my iBook gets at least 3.5 hours on a full charge. A lot of people are reporting that the new 15" PBs only get 2 - 2.5 hours. Then there are some conflicting reports that battery life is much better than that. If I could get 3 hours, that would be fine, but less seems sorta silly.
How is your battery life, pbook28?

Forum Links
Forum Rules