Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Am I the only one with a faster startup?

Am I the only one with a faster startup?
Waldo
Nov 19, 1999, 11:07 AM

After reading these newgroupish forums, I have noticed that a lot of people are complaining about slow startup times. More so with MacOS 9. This seems weird to me. I have a RevA iMac with 64 meg of RAM with virtual set to 96meg. It only takes my iMac one minute and forty five seconds to startup. I know that this doesn't seem fast, but MacOS9 that I have now, starts up extremely faster than any other previous system I have had. And MacOS9 also takes up more RAM than any other system, taking 30 meg right now. Imagine what it would be with VM turned off? I was just wondering if I was the only one with faster startup time with MacOS 9.
Willie

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 1999, 11:18 AM

I haven't noticed any difference between OS 8.6 and OS 9 startup times on my PowerBook G3/400... it might be a bit faster, but only by a couple seconds.

I'm running Speed Startup, btw.

DarwinX
Nov 19, 1999, 11:29 AM

My PowerMac G3 --> 333MHz, 128MB RAM, seems to be much faster at StartUp under Mac OS 9 than it did under Mac OS 8.6. And to be consistent with everyone else it does seem to use more RAM. I love OS 9.

"My Apple" Thinks Different

Parrish
Nov 19, 1999, 02:11 PM

I ran my 7200/75 (OS 8.1) and iMac 266 (OS 9) side by side for a while. The startup times were practically the same, the iMac taking just a second or two longer. It's a crude comparison because the extension sets were completely different.

Cletus Waldman
Nov 20, 1999, 06:46 PM

Misha;

I want to confirm that Speed Startup by Casady & Green does in fact work with MacOS 9.

I have been hunting for this--but have not seen either conflicts reported or confirmation of an update or anything.

Thanks

Cletus

Forum Links
Forum Rules