Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 4 inch PCI cards???

4 inch PCI cards???
macopz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 1999, 10:32 AM

Hi, i am running on a UMAX supermac c500, and unfortunately, it uses 4 inch PCI clots instead of the industry standard 7 inch ones. does anyone know of ANY hardware graphics accelerators, or any other upgrade for that matter, that will fit into on of these? i am at my wit's end for finding any use for these darn things. any help at all would be appreciated. also, if you have time, check out my up-and-coming news site: http://www.macopz.com

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Halifax
Nov 22, 1999, 02:09 PM

c500s use 2 standard PCI slots located on a riser card - physically they are about 3.5" long. For video, I use an ATi Rage 128 Orion in my c500 - the other slot has a standard Dayna e/PCI ethernet card in it.

- Andrew.

Misha
Professional Poster
Nov 23, 1999, 12:55 AM

USB cards will fit without a problem.... they're tiny.

macopz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 1999, 01:42 AM

Thanks a bunch! i was not aware the Ati made cards that would fit! this will help withmy photoshop rendering 100%!
check out my site: http://www.macopz.com
it's not yet up and running, but we are drawing VERY near to the launch date. also, if you would like to write a column for us or participate in any other way, email [email protected]

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

jaguar28
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 1999, 09:02 AM

A video card will not accelerate photoshop rendering.
If that's your main goal, you should consider upgrading to a G3 CPU like I've done on my C500. Check out upgradestuff.com and their Newertech L2 cards.
The rendering will be 2-3 times faster.
All an ATI card gives you is faster scrolling and more color depth and 3D acceleration for 3D rendering or games.(Mandatory if you play Tomb Raider or Unreal etc)
I have an ATI Xclaim VR rage Pro (previous generation) with 8 MB of vram and it works great.
Hope this helps.

macopz  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 24, 1999, 09:20 AM

I WISH! no, unfortunately, my resource base is all of $50 for now, and it doesn't look like it is going to grow any time soon unless my website starts to bring in sponsors.

------------------
;-) MacOpz
;-) MacOpz

Forum Links
Forum Rules