Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Need quick advice: best updates for PowerBase200

Need quick advice: best updates for PowerBase200
Zoom
Mac Elite
Jul 4, 2002, 05:35 PM

This is related to my other post here.

What are my best software-based updates for an old PowerBase 200 clone? It's running OS 8.6 now (not 8.6.1 - I can't find that updater). I think it has QuickTime 4, not sure which rev. I've got Netscape 4.79. The damn thing only has 96MB of RAM and Internet Explorer kept complaining about lack of memory. I've got Outlook Express 5.02, which runs fine. And I've got Toast 4.1.2.

Are there good web sites for finding updates for older systems and clones? I haven't really done much of this - I've always got an up-to-date system.

Any advice would be helpful, but I'm looking mainly for free or dirt cheap upgrades.

Thanks.
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

Cipher13
Jul 5, 2002, 01:33 AM

What do you want to do with it? It all depends...

You can't find 8.61 because it doesn't exist.

To fix IE5, highlight it, get info, click the popup menu and go to "Memory", and change the number in its "preferred" memory field to something higher.

Toast 5 is nice. You might want that. But... I don't know.

Other than that... OS9, maybe? But it isn't free. Quicktime 5 is.

I really don't know what you want to do though...

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2002, 11:11 AM

Hi Zoom,
Check out <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com" target="_blank">versiontracker</a> . It has a searchable database of software updates for OS9 and OSX (system updates as well as commercial, freeware and shareware updates). The nice thing is that it is updates daily, it links to the vendor's site, and there are user reviews of the updates.
good luck,

dave

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2002, 11:12 AM

I forgot, there is also <a href="http://www.macupdate.com/" target="_blank">MacUpdate</a>

dave

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2002, 04:27 PM

Thanks, guys - I was aware of both sites, but there are tons of things I could update, I was just looking for the "must have" items. Anyway, I'll poke around and see what looks good. I'm still open to suggestions, tho.
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

Forum Links
Forum Rules