Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Nintendo takes on Apple: Nintendo DSi

Nintendo takes on Apple: Nintendo DSi
Brien
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 01:16 AM

Two bigger touchscreens, two cameras, and an App store (DSWare).

Not that Nintendo has anything to worry about but it's neat to see Apple light the fire under everyone else.

How long until we see a PSPhone? Sony's already in the cellphone biz so it isn't a stretch.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 01:35 AM

The article I read said the screens were 12% smaller.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Brien  (op)
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2008, 01:37 AM

Hmm?

Originally Posted by DS Fanboy
And we have a 3 Megapixel camera, music playback, and screens that are expanded to 3.25 inches!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 2, 2008, 02:28 AM

Oh, my mistake - I conflated the first two paragraphs.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 2, 2008, 02:49 AM

It is 12% thinner than the current DS Lite, go here for a good comparison between DS Lite and DSiā€¦

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsi.html

Lord Kryn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2008, 03:11 AM

Nintendo just don't come across as targeting the correct audience though. Fine - pop out 3 "mature" titles for any Nintendo console, but ask any average person in the street the first thing they think of when you say "Nintendo" and don't hold your breath for much than a "Mario" or "Yoshi". What's more when deciding on getting a Nintendo DS or a PSP, I thankfully chose the PSP. Later I tried the Nintendo "competitor" to be taken aback at how bad the graphics were? It's a Nintendo Colour x 2 with slightly better-looking graphics. No thanks.

Where-as the release of the iPod in the market was almost perfect by Steve Jobbs, and ever since, sales have been going only up. The next step to go towards the mobile communications market was also timely. Apple has now set a name for themselves in the business - the iPod is really the only well-known runner in the mp3 business, taking in account the large amount of neglected alternatives (How many more people know of the latest iPod compared to the new Sony Ericson?).

In my opinion, Apple has taken too much ground on the competition (a bit like years ago with Microsoft vs. Apple) and I believe that like other examples, it will take years (or an incredible new idea) to take the eyes of the public away from "iProducts".

Kryn

Forum Links
Forum Rules