Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Update 8.1 with parts of 9.0.4? - Carbon lib etc

Update 8.1 with parts of 9.0.4? - Carbon lib etc
santa
Apr 19, 2000, 09:53 AM

I saw in the Carbon Lib docs a mention of how it will also install a new Navigation Services if it is run to update System 8.1. What other updates from current System software would apply to 8.1. I can think of Appleshare updates, and then I realize there are a lot of potential updates I am not aware of. Can anyone point me to a source at Apple for a direct answer to this specific question? Or answer it succinctly?

Darkshadow
Apr 20, 2000, 12:05 PM

I copied the Appleshare chooser extension from MacOS 9 to my 8.1 computer to give my access to Appleshare IP volumes.

Works fine, hasn't given me any problems.

Cipher13
Apr 20, 2000, 09:52 PM

You were probably lucky with the APpleShare thing then - I copied a couple of files from OS 9 to my 8.5 machine, and wouldn't you know it some things wouldn't work anymore - it seems one of the files I copied changed the creator and type of the AppleScript extensions. I had to change the creators back to the original ones before they worked again. That doesn't make much sense, I know. But be careful to take note of exactly what you copy over, so it makes it easier to troubleshoot if something goes wrong.

Cipher13

Forum Links
Forum Rules