Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Requiem for Safari

Requiem for Safari
Eusebius
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 25, 2007, 03:54 PM

I joined the world of apple last January when I bought an 24" imac. Hugely delighted, everything works beautifully and without a fuss...everything except Safari that is. About a month ago it began to crash about every other day. It's really frustrating to lose all your tabs and have to hunt them down again. To add insult to injury, on three occasions, including one a half hour ago, the crashes wiped out all settings. I had to reset the surpress ads feature, recheck open in tabs, reset fonts, reset RSS options.... I really like Safari, especially its speed and snap-back, but its new instability is unacceptable. I'm thinking with a heavy heart about making Opera the default browser. For the record, I run Safari 2 with no plug-ins or add-ons on OS 10.4.8. I sure hope some one has ideas on how I might restore Safari to its old splendor.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 25, 2007, 03:57 PM

Howdy, and welcome to the Mac. I have never had a problem with Safari. But I have been using Safari 3 beta OS X 10.4.10) without problems for 2 months. Will it be better to upgrade to 10.4.10 and Safari 3? Not sure, but works for me.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 25, 2007, 04:07 PM

In Safari 3 you can restore closed tabs with a command from the History menu.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 25, 2007, 04:11 PM

Delete the Safari cache/history.
Delete the Safari favicons cache.
Update all your internet plug-ins (i.e. Flash Player, etc) to the latest versions.

goMac
Posting Junkie
Oct 25, 2007, 07:51 PM

Upgrade to Safari 3.
8 Core 2.8 ghz Mac Pro/GF8800/2 23" Cinema Displays, 3.06 ghz Macbook Pro
Once you wanted revolution, now you're the institution, how's it feel to be the man?

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 08:24 PM

By "suppress ads option" do you mean Block Pop-up Windows?

Eusebius  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2007, 02:46 PM

Thanks for replies. For the upgrade I will wait for confirmation of a rumour that OS 10.4.11 will include Safari 3 final. In the meantime, I have followed the cache deletion suggestion. So far OK, let's see how things hold up the next few days.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 03:26 PM

I don't think Safari is that good. I use Seamonkey myself.

Forum Links
Forum Rules