Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Bento?

Bento?
kman42
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 03:20 PM

Anyone try this out from FileMaker?

Meet Bento — Learn More

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 13, 2007, 04:41 PM

Yeah. It's alright. Doesn't have the same polish as Apple apps though but is a worthy basic database app that could eventually replace FileMaker Pro if it eventually allows users to create their own DB.

It's a Leopard-only app but to my disappointment, it uses non-standard Leopard buttons (somewhat like iTunes). The fastest way to tell is if there's a shadow all around the depressed button or if the shadow is only on the top portion of the button. If you've got a shadow all around the inside of the depressed button, you've got yourself an app that uses the system-wide Leopard buttons. If not, you're dealing with an app that uses its own graphics for these buttons. A minor gripe but it really irks me.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2007, 06:08 PM

Who cares if there's a shadow around the buttons - seems really nit-picky.

That app looks pretty interesting. I'm going to download it now and see how this preview looks.

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Nov 13, 2007, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post

That app looks pretty interesting. I'm going to download it now and see how this preview looks.
It is nit-picky but, think about it, would you like it if some app made up it's own uglier Aqua buttons than use the system Aqua buttons? The buttons in Bento don't look Leopard-ish at all...in fact, they don't even look like they come from Tiger. They look like total ass.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by MacosNerd View Post

Lots of Mac users are UI Nazis that don't give two shits about functionality as long as their buttons are shiny with drop shadows and transparency.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 10:33 AM

This happens every time I try to create a new template-based document… anyone else seeing this?

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 16, 2007, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
Lots of Mac users are UI Nazis that don't give two shits about functionality as long as their buttons are shiny with drop shadows and transparency.
I wouldn't call them UI nazis. Those are just "Make it pretty so my friends are impressed" fanboys.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 16, 2007, 11:23 AM

Jeff (at Tidbits) offers a Critical look at Bento, showing some of the failures and cautions about its use.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

techtrucker
Senior User
Nov 16, 2007, 06:16 PM

We could use an inexpensive easy to use database app on the Mac. I'm a long time FileMaker user and developer, but not everyone wants to shell out $$$ for FM Pro to track their stamp collection. I've had a couple of converts ask me "where's the equivalent to Access?" I've heard some good things about iList Data but have yet to test drive it.
MacBook 2.0 160/2GB/SuperDrive
Lots of older Macs

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2007, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
This happens every time I try to create a new template-based document… anyone else seeing this?

Seems to work OK for be. But then again it is a preview/beta release.

Forum Links
Forum Rules