Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Publisher-esque app?

Publisher-esque app?
elijah311
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 23, 2007, 01:48 PM

I saw this question posted before, and read up on a bunch of different apps suggested in those threads, but after a bunch of tries, I'm still stymied when it comes to the simple things I used to do with publisher.

My favorite thing about Publisher was the templates and their ability to adapt to whatever page dimensions you wanted. The *only* thing I ever used it for was to produce simple colorful postcards (4 x 6") to mail to my client list. I used Word to mail merge the addresses on the reverse side, drawing from an Access database. I have converted my DB to Excel since it seems more Mac-able, but I'm still unable to find ANY app with even a fair amount of basic templates *for this size*. I buy standard blank 4 x 6 postcards, add winning text to a basic template, then print a hundred or so copies. I flip them over and mail merge their addresses on the opposite sides of the postcards. Wish I could list all the different apps I tried to make work, but at least: Pages, Print Shop 2, MS Office Beta, Swift Publisher, Neo Office, etc etc.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm not into DTP, I just want easy to customize templates that will work with 4 x 6 postcards. Any mail merge or database features would be a plus. I would love to make this whole process a lot tighter then it ever was on my clunky old Dell, and as much as the thought irritates me, it seems like it'd be easier to just fire up my old laptop the 4-6x/yr I need to mail merge some nice postcards.
Thanks!

philm
Mac Elite
Nov 23, 2007, 05:53 PM

You can make a 4X6 custom page size in Word with all the merging goodness there too. That should work.

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 23, 2007, 06:11 PM

I suspect that Word might give you what you want, especially if you can hold off for about 6 weeks for Word 2008, which will be much more Publisher like in its DTP role.

The only other suggestion might be PageStream
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules