Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > weird question about formatting page #s in word

weird question about formatting page #s in word
melismak
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2007, 03:44 AM

Hi everyone,
I am editing my dissertation (EEK) and need help.

Because I have some large examples, some pages are in landscape format. However, I need page numbers to be on the top right-hand side of the page whn the thing is bound. Of course, when the page is printed the landscape-oriented pages have numbers at the top left side when the thing is turned as it will be when it is bound.

Any idea how I can make the page number work for those pages? The number itself needs to be rotated and placed differetly. I am about to pull out every single hair on my head.

I hope someone can help. Thanks!

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2007, 04:45 AM

By the way--just to clarify--I would like to avoid any solutions having to do with a text box. Thanks!

Shades of Gray
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 28, 2007, 11:14 AM

Howdy. Are you using section breaks between those landscape pages? You might try that, since you can place those kinds of items independent of other sections.
Ignore the argumentative nature of this poster. He is old and can't engage in meaningful dialog
very long. Therefore, management asks that you at least humor him. Thanks.

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2007, 01:00 PM

Yes.

But if I change where the page # goes, it will still be turned incorrectly--know what I mean?

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2007, 07:32 PM

You want the page number to be upright as if each page is in portrait, even when some pages are in fact landscape, is that correct?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 28, 2007, 07:40 PM

On the landscape pages, use "Insert|Page Numbers" to insert the page number. Unlike the header/footer page number, these are inserted in frames, and you can move the frame anywhere on the page you want-and rotate it too.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

melismak  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 28, 2007, 09:40 PM

Oh my goodness. That is so much easier. I'd been using "Insert page numbers" but had not realized they were rotatable!! THANK YOU! You've made my week!

Forum Links
Forum Rules