Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > iSight for Wintel, USB 2.0

iSight for Wintel, USB 2.0
nemanirc
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 07:57 AM

Now that Apple has gotten off the ground with iChat AV and the iSight, they should be working on a USB 2.0 version for Wintel users. While I have tried my best to convert everyone I know to Mac, the majority of people I know use Wintel. I would like to be able to use iChat and iSight with them.

Look at how well Apple has done selling over 300,000 iPods last quarter, many of them to the unwashed Wintel croud. Why not offer the BMW of web cameras to the 90% out there. They have lots of money to spend.

Part of the reason people don't switch more easily is their lack of familiarity with the Apple brand (not that it is unfamiliar to them entirely, but they have little experience working on it). Give them a few high quality products that are easy to use (iPod, iSight), and some of the FUD about the platform will subside.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 08:17 AM

I have mixed feelings on this. It's a fine line for Apple, between keeping some stuff exclusive, possibly (if not slowly) luring Wintel users into the light... And the easy profit-taking involved with making stuff available to everyone.

I think what's good for Apple's bottom line is good for all of us, as Macintosh users/Apple supporters... But I also like the fact we have some cool stuff they can't get. It's a nice change.

Guess that's why I'm not in charge at One Infinite Loop.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 17, 2003, 09:07 AM

Why USB 2.0? PC's can and do have FireWire.
So, Just a matter of Apple producing PC friendly drivers.
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

nemanirc  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 17, 2003, 09:27 AM

Originally posted by Grrr:
Why USB 2.0? PC's can and do have FireWire.
So, Just a matter of Apple producing PC friendly drivers.
USB 2.0 because most PCs these days come with USB 2.0. Not all come with FireWire. Apple made USB 2.0 available on the iPod for this very reason.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 17, 2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by nemanirc:
USB 2.0 because most PCs these days come with USB 2.0. Not all come with FireWire. Apple made USB 2.0 available on the iPod for this very reason.
I wonder if USB can provide enough power for the iSight. It's not enough to charge the iPod like you can with firewire.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 17, 2003, 11:41 AM

Not enough power through USB 2 i think.

Plus, a firewire card is less then $20 and you know how the PC users LOVE to brag how upgradable and cheap PC's are.

I don't think Apple should give PC users a reason to stick with PC's though.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 17, 2003, 06:47 PM

Besides, won't windows just get in the way?

No iSight for PC users, if they are so blind as it stands now, let'em stay that way. 'em

SciFrog
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2003, 11:04 PM

I'd rather have Apple work on making iChat compatible with Windows standards...

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 21, 2003, 02:24 AM

Originally posted by SciFrog:
What are you talking about? iChat doesn't care if you're chatting to a PC user or not. It is just the audio and video content that need AV at both ends. As there is no equivalent for PC users on the AIM network there is no standard to adhere to.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2003, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
What are you talking about? iChat doesn't care if you're chatting to a PC user or not. It is just the audio and video content that need AV at both ends. As there is no equivalent for PC users on the AIM network there is no standard to adhere to.
I assume he was talking about audio/video chatting. At the moment there is no way (that I know of) for iChat users to do audio and video chats with windows users. But according to Steve, the standard is open and thus there should be programs using it in the future.

slider
Mac Elite
Jul 21, 2003, 09:23 AM

How sad that "Windows Standard", even exists. I think M$ should work on using standards.

DaedalusDX
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 21, 2003, 09:27 PM

iChat uses standard H.323 videoconferencing... the only thing is that they've been the only ones to tie it into AOL's Instant Messenger network...

... which means the responsibility for windows compatibility lies with AOL... god help us all.

X-Ray
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 22, 2003, 10:54 AM

Have no fear. Apple leads and innovates. Others, as usual, will soon follow.

OpenStep
Senior User
Jul 22, 2003, 12:28 PM

I totally think they should make it for Windows. Only 5 buddies on my list have a Mac and 2 of those 5 are running Mac OS X. It's totally pointless to get a camera to chat with only 2 people. Apple should open the standard to allow us to videochat with Windows users. $150 for an overpriced camera to only use with other Mac users that have the same overpriced camera is stupid.

Forum Links
Forum Rules