Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > New Features of Tiger iChat

New Features of Tiger iChat
crystalthunder
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 01:59 AM

What are all the new features of Tiger iChat? So far (barring the obvious AV advances) I've heard profile editing, inline groups, and ability to easily switch accounts. Albeit more will probably be added, I just want to know what the progress is so far. (Pics are welcome )
15" PowerBook G4 1.5 GHZ w/ 128MB VRAM
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

SafariX
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 02:59 AM

Can we PLEASE get tabbed chats? I hate having eleventy fillion windows open littering my screen. Give me one window with tabs that feature a buddy icon/name. Efficient, simple, lovable. German.

nforcer
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 03:21 AM

Originally posted by SafariX:
Can we PLEASE get tabbed chats? I hate having eleventy fillion windows open littering my screen. Give me one window with tabs that feature a buddy icon/name. Efficient, simple, lovable. German.
Tabbed iChat is a straight shooter with upper management written all over it.
( Last edited by nforcer; Jul 1, 2004 at 03:46 AM. )

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 03:39 AM

Originally posted by nforcer:
Tabbed iChat is a straight shooter with upper management written all over it.
Yeeeeaaah. I'm going to have to sort of... disagree.
( Last edited by Agasthya; Jul 1, 2004 at 03:47 AM. )

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 1, 2004, 04:23 AM

tooki

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2004, 06:47 AM

how about support for the MSN protocol, so that I can ditch all third-party IM apps?

Millennium
Clinically Insane
Jul 1, 2004, 07:49 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
how about support for the MSN protocol, so that I can ditch all third-party IM apps?
iChat doesn't have that directly, and isn't likely to ever do so. However, it's worth noting that Tiger's iChat supports the XMPP protocol, also known as Jabber. In fact, Tiger Server includes a Jabber server built in.

What's the big deal with this? It turns out that Jabber is famous for what it calls "transports" on the server end, which act as gateways to other IM services, including AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, IRC, and a couple of others.

In other words, by giving iChat XMPP support, they have indirectly given it multi-protocol IM support as well; it's just a matter of setting it all up. Expect a good UI for that to come out within a couple of days of Tiger's release; this one is too big for third parties to just pass up.
You are in Soviet Russia. It is dark. Grue is likely to be eaten by YOU!

ryju
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 08:21 AM

Me wants my MSN protocol doowacky!!

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Didn't you get the memo?

quadgrande
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 09:06 AM

Didn't you get the memo?
You see, we're putting coversheets on our RTA (Request to Apple) reports from now on. So if you could do that from now on, that would be greaaaaaat. mmmkay? Oh, and I'll make sure you get another copy of that memo.

crystalthunder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 10:16 AM

I would enjoy having tabbed IM windows, but I'm pretty sure that won't be happening anytime soon thanks to the UI of the AV portion of iChat. I am excited for the different protocols though, that's pretty damn sweet
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 1, 2004, 11:32 AM

Originally posted by Millennium:
iChat doesn't have that directly, and isn't likely to ever do so. However, it's worth noting that Tiger's iChat supports the XMPP protocol, also known as Jabber. In fact, Tiger Server includes a Jabber server built in.

What's the big deal with this? It turns out that Jabber is famous for what it calls "transports" on the server end, which act as gateways to other IM services, including AIM, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo, IRC, and a couple of others.

In other words, by giving iChat XMPP support, they have indirectly given it multi-protocol IM support as well; it's just a matter of setting it all up. Expect a good UI for that to come out within a couple of days of Tiger's release; this one is too big for third parties to just pass up.
I knew they added support for something, I just didn't not what. I noticed Steve's iChat no longer had the AIM guy. That was the first clue.

crystalthunder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 1, 2004, 11:34 AM

Hopefully they make a better icon, I'm not a fan of the new one...too bland.
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

forkies
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 11:48 AM

hows about an ichat widget/gadget for dashboard so i don't have to keep switching between mail/safari/whatever-other-app-i-may-be-using to ichat then back

Mystical, magical, amazing! | Part 2 | The spread of Christianity is our goal. -Railroader

Zimphire
Baninated
Jul 1, 2004, 11:55 AM

ALLLLRIGHT! I love how iChat works. I have always wanted to be able to do this.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2004, 05:53 PM

Here is the feeback I sent to Apple for iChat :

I watched the WWDC keynote, and noticed that Steve said iChat does not support opening several windows when doing video conference.

I think it would be *very* usefull to have an option in iChat's preferences to let the user choose to have several windows or a single one with the 3D effect as demonstrated during the keynote. Particularly if you have 2 displays on your Mac, and you want to put one video on each display (fullscreen or not). This can't be done if we don't have the option to have a separate window for each video. Plus I'm pretty sure some people would prefer to have a plain flat window instead of the 3D effect.

How cool would it be to have a video chat with 2 other persons, each one on a 30" cinema display

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
How cool would it be to have a video chat with 2 other persons, each one on a 30" cinema display
Not very cool, considering that streaming video across the net doesn't get a high enough bitrate to go full screen.

pat++
Mac Elite
Jul 2, 2004, 03:17 AM

Originally posted by madmacgames:
Not very cool, considering that streaming video across the net doesn't get a high enough bitrate to go full screen.
You know that iChat can already do fullscreen video conf, don't you?

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2004, 03:47 AM

It does full screan... just not enough rez to fill a 30inch cin display and make it look acceptable. It would look like utter trash on that beauity!

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 2, 2004, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by wuzup101:
It does full screan... just not enough rez to fill a 30inch cin display and make it look acceptable. It would look like utter trash on that beauity!
Seing how it scales the 640x480 video right now I'd assume that it would look acceptable with the new h264 codec even on a 30" screen.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2004, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by crystalthunder:
and ability to easily switch accounts.
I already do switch accounts very easily. Can't see what needs to be changed here.
Btw, This is 'software' isnt it?
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

crystalthunder  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 09:19 AM

I heard you can change accounts directly through the menus instead of having to open the preference pane or something like that.
512MB DDR SDRAM 1 SODIMM
80GB 5400 RPM HD
Mac OS X 10.3.4

parsec_kadets
Senior User
Jul 2, 2004, 01:26 PM

Is this perhaps the advantage to having an @Mac.com screen name? Because you won't have to change screen names if Apple were to host its own Jabber server at the Mac.com domain?

For those that don't know, Jabber screen names take the form of [email protected]ever. The idea being that your screen name is the same as your e-mail address, which Apple also seems to agree with. Makes me think that maybe Jabber support was in the works from the very beginning in at least some limited fashion.

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by Grrr:
I already do switch accounts very easily. Can't see what needs to be changed here.
Btw, This is 'software' isnt it?
When you're online, there's now an option to immediately switch to another screenname (you don't have to sign off, switch names, sign on--so one step instead of three)
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 03:34 AM

sweet ... what will become of software like adium now?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Jul 3, 2004, 07:54 AM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Disappear to everyone but the people that only care about customization.

iChat will become the best IM client by the time Tiger ships. And the iChat team has gotten better too.

mikemako
Senior User
Jul 3, 2004, 10:44 AM

Does iChat still sign you out automatically when you switch users?
My Computer: MacBook Pro 2GHz, Mac OS X 10.4.5

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jul 3, 2004, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
Hahaha

Stradlater
Professional Poster
Jul 3, 2004, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by Lancer409:
Adium has plenty of fanboys. It's a nice piece of software, but I think iChat will suit my passive needs in IM (would rather keep it, for the most part, in my menu than my Dock).
"You rise," he said, "like Aurora."

Tick
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 3, 2004, 04:48 PM

Originally posted by Stradlater:
Adium has plenty of fanboys. It's a nice piece of software, but I think iChat will suit my passive needs in IM (would rather keep it, for the most part, in my menu than my Dock).

Whee! Let's call software dead now 9 months before what you guys are talking about will be released. WHOO!!!

Forum Links
Forum Rules