Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > installing Vista RTM on Mac Pro, any tips..?

installing Vista RTM on Mac Pro, any tips..?
daiSho
Forum Regular
Nov 13, 2006, 09:59 PM

hi all, i've been trying to install Vista RTM on my Mac Pro tower w/out any luck so far... i tried booting from the Vista install disk but when i get to the portion where you select which partition to install upon i hit a brick wall... i tried installing over the partition i had previously used BootCamp to install XP on, wouldn't accept it, i formatted it using the Vista installer, still says "no appropriate filesystem to install Vista on"... i even deleted the EFI portion off this disk (it was my original factory disk but is not where i installed OSX to) but still no joy.

i then reinstalled XP on the same windows partition and it went fine, so i tried running the Vista i installer for an "upgrade" install from w/in XP... it ran for an extended time and then bombed out w/ a message saying "incompatibilities encountered, setup can not continue.

anyone get this working on a Mac Pro yet? i didn't really expect such a headache since XP installs so easily... any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated friends..!

:/

memento
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 01:16 PM

What's RTM? Isn't Vista due out in January or is this another free beta download from MS?
"Destroy your ego. Trust your brain. Destroy your beliefs. Trust your divinity." -Danny Carey

MacPro Quad 2.66, G4 MDD dual 867, 23" Cinema Display and 17" LCD, G4 Quicksilver dual 800, 12" Powerbook 867, iMac 300 Grape, B&W G3/300 with G4/450 running yellowdog, iPod 5GB, iPod mini, PowerCenter 150, Powercenter 132 tower, Performa 6116, Quadra 700, MacSE, LC II, eMate 300

Tomchu
Mac Elite
Nov 14, 2006, 02:16 PM

RTM = Release to Manufacturing

RTM code is final code. It's what is going to be pressed, boxed, and sold.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 14, 2006, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by daiSho View Post
hi all, i've been trying to install Vista RTM on my Mac Pro tower w/out any luck so far... i tried booting from the Vista install disk but when i get to the portion where you select which partition to install upon i hit a brick wall... i tried installing over the partition i had previously used BootCamp to install XP on, wouldn't accept it, i formatted it using the Vista installer, still says "no appropriate filesystem to install Vista on"... i even deleted the EFI portion off this disk (it was my original factory disk but is not where i installed OSX to) but still no joy.

i then reinstalled XP on the same windows partition and it went fine, so i tried running the Vista i installer for an "upgrade" install from w/in XP... it ran for an extended time and then bombed out w/ a message saying "incompatibilities encountered, setup can not continue.

anyone get this working on a Mac Pro yet? i didn't really expect such a headache since XP installs so easily... any tips or pointers would be greatly appreciated friends..!

:/
I believe Bootcamp partitions the disk in FAT32 format, which Vista Cannot install on.

When you hit this 'snag' simply select the bootcamp created partition, hit the 'Format' button, exit the installer and restart. The partition will now be usable as it's now formatted in NTFS by the Vista installer.

I had the same problem with my iMac, and this solved the problem.

You may also have some problems with the drivers giving you an error code and quiting while installing from cd. You'll have to install some manually.

To do this:

1. Copy the install executable to your desktop.
2. Open the 'run' dialog and type in "X:/path to installer executable/" /A /v and hit enter.
3. Follow the setup as normal, and it will run in network mode and extract the files to a directory of your choosing.
4. Open up hardware manager and update the missing drivers by pointing the wizard to the folder in which you extracted the drivers to.
5. The missing drivers should now install, restart and most everything should work fine.

I've found that the iSight driver isn't working right, but I'm sure Apple will update Bootcamp shortly with fixes to all of the above problems.
( Last edited by kmkkid; Nov 14, 2006 at 05:00 PM. )

daiSho  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 14, 2006, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
I believe Bootcamp partitions the disk in FAT32 format, which Vista Cannot install on.

When you hit this 'snag' simply select the bootcamp created partition, hit the 'Format' button, exit the installer and restart. The partition will now be usable as it's now formatted in NTFS by the Vista installer.

I had the same problem with my iMac, and this solved the problem.

You may also have some problems with the drivers giving you an error code and quiting while installing from cd. You'll have to install some manually.

To do this:

1. Copy the install executable to your desktop.
2. Open the 'run' dialog and type in "X:/path to installer executable/" /A /v and hit enter.
3. Follow the setup as normal, and it will run in network mode and extract the files to a directory of your choosing.
4. Open up hardware manager and update the missing drivers by pointing the wizard to the folder in which you extracted the drivers to.
5. The missing drivers should now install, restart and most everything should work fine.

I've found that the iSight driver isn't working right, but I'm sure Apple will update Bootcamp shortly with fixes to all of the above problems.
thx for your reply friend, but i have tried letting the Vista installer format the disk in its own form of NTSC and yet the installer continues to insist that there are no appropriate filesystems available... does Vista require that it is installed upon the first partition of the disk? if that is the case then it is indeed a problem, as i divided my Mac Pro's stock 250GB disk into two partitions, and the one i have been using for XP is indeed the second partition... maybe this is the issue? ugh, don't have the storage to back up everything on the other partition, sigh..

Philip J. Fry
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 14, 2006, 05:59 PM

I'm not sure about Vista alone but I do know that in order for bootcamp to successfully partion and install Windows, it has to be done a drive that has not been partitioned already.

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by daiSho View Post
thx for your reply friend, but i have tried letting the Vista installer format the disk in its own form of NTSC and yet the installer continues to insist that there are no appropriate filesystems available... does Vista require that it is installed upon the first partition of the disk? if that is the case then it is indeed a problem, as i divided my Mac Pro's stock 250GB disk into two partitions, and the one i have been using for XP is indeed the second partition... maybe this is the issue? ugh, don't have the storage to back up everything on the other partition, sigh..

Did you restart the computer and start the installation over again after formatting using the installer? That's the only way it will work. It won't work 'realtime'.

And no, you dont have to install on the first partition. Also make sure you didn't delete or erase the small 200 someodd MB partition that Bootcamp created. You may have to remake the partition using bootcamp, and then use my directions. Also, Vista will need at least 7GB free space just to install, then you'll need extra space for files, so I'd recommend making the partition at least 20 GB.

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2006, 01:34 PM

I had that problem as well. I don't know if there's an easier way to make it work, but this is what I found worked:

1) Using Boot Camp, remove the Windows partition entirely (so there is only 1 partition). Restart.
2) Once again using Boot Camp, re-partition the disk however you'd like (I agree with kmkkid: Vista needs at least 20 gigs). Insert Vista DVD and restart.
3) Boot from the Vista disk. You will probably have to reformat the Windows partition through the Vista installer; make sure it's NTFS. Restart again.
4) Boot from the Vista disk again, and install as normal.

Hopefully this is a good summary of what everyone else has been saying. Good luck!

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2006, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
I had that problem as well. I don't know if there's an easier way to make it work, but this is what I found worked:

1) Using Boot Camp, remove the Windows partition entirely (so there is only 1 partition). Restart.
2) Once again using Boot Camp, re-partition the disk however you'd like (I agree with kmkkid: Vista needs at least 20 gigs). Insert Vista DVD and restart.
3) Boot from the Vista disk. You will probably have to reformat the Windows partition through the Vista installer; make sure it's NTFS. Restart again.
4) Boot from the Vista disk again, and install as normal.

Hopefully this is a good summary of what everyone else has been saying. Good luck!
Have you been able to get the iSight driver working properly?

plamparello
Nov 16, 2006, 01:01 PM

I installed RC1 on Boot Camp 1.1.2 and got it working fine on a black macbook. I have a few drivers missing, but just used the Vista DVD I burned. Does anyone have all drivers working fine or have a way to right click in vista without a 2 button mouse?
plamparello

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by kmkkid View Post
Have you been able to get the iSight driver working properly?
Yeah, but I had to do it manually, through the Device Manager (not for the faint of heart, or those unfamiliar with Windows). In fact, the only things I couldn't get working were the Bluetooth and two-fingered scrolling. Note, however, that this was all on RC1, and I can't speak for any other builds, including the RTM.

EDIT: okay, here is a brief outline of what I did (numbered too, cuz I've been doing that a lot here recently):

1) Copy the drivers .EXE file to somewhere. For now, I'm gonna assume you just put it on your C:\ drive.
2) Press Command+R (or Windows button+R, depending on your keyboard) to bring up the Run dialog, and type the following:
Code:
"C:\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" /A /v
(NOTE: watch the quotes, they're really important. Oh, and if your .EXE or directory are different, just change my command accordingly).
3) It'll "install", but actually just copy all the files to a directory (it'll ask where you want them).
4) From the Windows Device Manager, you'll have to manually select the directory with the drivers for each device you are installing.

EDIT 2: Hmmm, now that I think about it, I never actually tested the iSight in Vista, so I don't know if it worked or not. The driver installed, if that counts for anything.
( Last edited by TheoCryst; Nov 16, 2006 at 03:49 PM. )

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

plamparello
Nov 16, 2006, 04:38 PM

Has anyone installed it on a laptop and found some way to right click?
plamparello

kmkkid
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2006, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by TheoCryst View Post
Yeah, but I had to do it manually, through the Device Manager (not for the faint of heart, or those unfamiliar with Windows). In fact, the only things I couldn't get working were the Bluetooth and two-fingered scrolling. Note, however, that this was all on RC1, and I can't speak for any other builds, including the RTM.

EDIT: okay, here is a brief outline of what I did (numbered too, cuz I've been doing that a lot here recently):

1) Copy the drivers .EXE file to somewhere. For now, I'm gonna assume you just put it on your C drive.
2) Press Command+R (or Windows button+R, depending on your keyboard) to bring up the Run dialog, and type the following:
Code:
"C:\Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe" /A /v
(NOTE: watch the quotes, they're really important. Oh, and if your .EXE or directory are different, just change my command accordingly).
3) It'll "install", but actually just copy all the files to a directory (it'll ask where you want them).
4) From the Windows Device Manager, you'll have to manually select the directory with the drivers for each device you are installing.

EDIT 2: Hmmm, now that I think about it, I never actually tested the iSight in Vista, so I don't know if it worked or not. The driver installed, if that counts for anything.
Yeah. I installed it manually, it installed, but it said the device isn't working properly - and it wasn't It actually shows that the iSight USB bus isn't functioning either, even though all the other USB devices work fine with the supplied drivers.

Flippin IT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2006, 06:26 AM

I've got Vista Ultimate (Release build from MSDN) working great on may iMac, only iSight not currently working. I have extracted the drivers as show in previous posts and it did install the drivers and says it's working but no image (the light comes on).
Anybody got iSight to work?
There was also one other device (Human Interface) that can't find the drivers from the extracted drivers. Not sure what this is?

Philosopher
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by Flippin IT View Post
I've got Vista Ultimate (Release build from MSDN) working great on may iMac, only iSight not currently working. I have extracted the drivers as show in previous posts and it did install the drivers and says it's working but no image (the light comes on).
Anybody got iSight to work?
There was also one other device (Human Interface) that can't find the drivers from the extracted drivers. Not sure what this is?
Originally my iSight was not working either. Then I noticed that it was using the wrong driver. The only driver listed should be the Apple iSight Driver. I realized that you have to use the "Have Disk" option to install the proper driver. Don't rely on just searching where you've extracted the bootcamp drivers to. Actually go right to the driver like this:

1. Open Device Manager
2. Expand Imaging Devices
3. Double click on the "Built in iSight"
4. In the window that opens select the "Driver" tab.
5. Click the "Update Driver" button.
6. In the window that opens choose "Browse my computer for driver software".
7. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
8. DO NOT PICK the "Apple Built-in iSight driver (you will be tempted to.) Instead click the "Have Disk" button.
9. Browse to your bootcamp extracted iSight.inf file, select it and click "Open".
10. Finish up and Restart your computer. Your iSight camera should now work.

Flippin IT
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2006, 04:49 AM

I managed to get it working a couple of days ago following similar advice. Strange thing is it didn't work at first even after a reboot. It said that the device was in use. However the day after I was amazed to find it working!! Although it can get locked into other users profiles but a reboot seems to fix it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules