Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > PowerPC computer processor upgrades

PowerPC computer processor upgrades
carterx
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2008, 11:57 PM

Ok, so just now I have been looking around online and got into looking at processor upgrades for my PowerMac Mirrored G4. A few sites out there offering upgrades, but I came across this site. They claim that the upgrade with one of their processors can out perform a new Intel processor.

Newer Technology, Inc.� Processor Upgrades

Anyone ever upgrade with a "MaxPower G4" Processor ?

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2008, 12:02 AM

I will have to check into the compatibility more though as the mirrored is not on the list.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 8, 2008, 12:05 AM

They are incompatible with MDDs like yours.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2008, 12:08 AM

I could get a mirrored from work maybe that's been parted and could replaced with one of these. Anyone have one with a QuickSilver PPC G4?

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2008, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by carterx View Post
They claim that the upgrade with one of their processors can out perform a new Intel processor.
Based on a test running Adobe CS which is of course PowerPC only and the intel Mac has to emulate it… far from being a fair claim. Anyway, I also have a MDD and so far the only CPU upgrade I can find is this one from Sonnet, Dual 1.8 GHz, as expensive as a new Mac mini, not for me…

Sonnet Online Store

They also have a Dual 1.6 GHz model, but it is out of stock…

Sonnet Online Store

OreoCookie
Jun 8, 2008, 06:50 AM

You should think twice about upgrading a G4 these days. If you do, take all upgrades into account (including RAM, for instance) before doing it. In many cases, an upgrade will cost as much as an Intel-based Mac mini whose cpu runs circles around even an upgraded G4.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2008, 10:32 AM

This I think is about the best available:
Sonnet Dual 1.8GHz, though isn't cheap at $599.
You might be able to find some deals on eBay or Craigslist or something like that.

While essentially the same price as a new Mac mini, the hard drive subsystem and graphics of an upgraded G4 tower will be way faster than what the mini can offer, though the mini's processor would be faster. Conceivably you could put a Radeon 9800 XT and WD Raptor SATA hard drives in the tower. An SATA PCI card, a USB 2.0 PCI card and a FireWire 800 card and you'd be doing well. Then again, you'd also be up to the price of a new iMac.

So I would agree with Oreo... weigh your options carefully.

dallenmarket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 10:41 AM

Check the OWC site. ( http:otherworldcomputing.com ) They sell numerous upgrade cards by several manufactures and have some very good support people. They should be able to help you. One thing to remember: The CPU may be fast, but the Mac model you have's buss speed can restrict and slow things way down. My 1 mhz G4 upgraded PPCs run about 1/20 the speed of my 1.5 mhz Power Books. Not 2/3 the speed as the CPU speed might suggest.

dallenmarket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 10:46 AM

Oops forgot to mention that I've used Newer, Sonnet, Power Logix and Mercury G-3 and G-4 upgrades. The Sonnets have the most glitches (incompatible with some hardware, software, etc.), but all work well. Remember what I said about buss speeds in my previous reply and don't expect to outrun a same speed Apple stock model.

carterx  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2008, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You should think twice about upgrading a G4 these days. If you do, take all upgrades into account (including RAM, for instance) before doing it. In many cases, an upgrade will cost as much as an Intel-based Mac mini whose cpu runs circles around even an upgraded G4.
Well, for me, a Mac Mini would not cut it. Already I have the max of 2 gigs in my PowerMac and I have 5 internal HD's and three monitors running off of it which I will be cutting down to 2. So for me, the PowerMac is still a great machine, just looking at options for speeding it up with a processor upgrade ..... just looking though for the meantime.

fashizzle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 8, 2008, 01:06 PM

I'm old school myself Carter. I have an MDD 1.25 GHz single proc machine, running 3 22" monitors (Geforce 4 Ti and Radeon 7000 PCI), maxxed on RAM, running Leopard and all CS3 apps.....very well. Very stable system, though easy to bring to its knees as one would imagine. I also have a Mini, and it's what I would call a "chunkblower™" when running any performance apps. So much in fact that I don't run anything on it except Endicia and email. I'm a workstation type, so an iMac isn't in the cards. Been saving for a MacPro, but I gotta tell you, this MDD has been an amazing machine for me. I replaced the PSU last year, that was it. Running 4 hard drives in it as well as 2 DVD burners. I put a USB 2.0 card in it and a PCI slot blower fan, and that's been the only upgrades.

I looked at the Sonnet upgrade (only one made for this model) and the price is just not worth it, I agree with the others. $299 would be more practical. You can get a used G5 tower in excellent condition for around $699 (Power Mac G5 | PowerMax), so start adding it all up. CPU upgrade, FW 800/USB 2.0, SATA interface, SATA drives, cooling, etc - and yer practically there.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2008, 03:44 PM

My mention towards the CPU upgrade being as expensive as the Mac mini was not aimed to say 'you better get the Mac mini', it was just to put than I find it too much money to even consider it an feasible upgrade option. I also have a MDD 1.25 GHz single CPU and to update the CPU is not something I intend to do, I like it over a Mac mini or iMac because I as fashizzle says like being able to add stuff whenever I need to do it so, mine didn't came with USB2 but thanks to PCI cards I have eight USB2 ports, I had added RAM and replaced the hard disk and both optical drives without any hassle. I could get Core Video support once I feel needing it, not to mention the ability to use the 30 inches Apple Display by replacing the 'factorized' Radeon 9000. I have replaced all the fans and this MDD is quiet and still cold, and the list goes on… I don't see myself doing that with the aforementioned mini & iMac models. I just prefer a tower, to my taste small is for laptops.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by carterx View Post
They claim that the upgrade with one of their processors can out perform a new Intel processor.
Yeah, right. That's called marketting. No way can any G4 PowerPC processor outperform one of the new Intel processors. Just going from my PowerMac G5 2.5 to a Mac Pro 3.0 dualcore was like night and day.

It'll extend the life of your PowerMac G4, if you can't afford a new Intel Mac.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2008, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Just going from my PowerMac G5 2.5 to a Mac Pro 3.0 dualcore was like night and day.
...obviously. Why would going from a dual 2.5GHz machines to a quad 3GHz machine not show?

In light of the point you're trying to make, your argument is apples to oranges.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 10, 2008, 03:10 AM

The 12x statement is complete and utter bullshit.

The point is that this $339 upgrade (dual 1.8 GHz 7448s) will barely be able to compete with the cheapest C2D Mac (1.83 GHz C2D, $599) available today. The Sonnet stuff is even more expensive.

This G4 upgrade might make sense if you need to keep your G4 tower due to other hardware investments, but in terms of raw CPU power it stands not the slightest chance against a modern Intel dual or quad core CPU. Marketing or no marketing, the 12x claim just makes them look like a bunch of idiots.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jun 10, 2008, 11:05 AM

I would strongly recommend against upgrading a G4. My current machine is a G4 Sawtooth with a 1.5 GHZ Mercury chip, a Radeon 8500, 1.25GB ram.

I've taken it about as far as it'll go. The performance increase I got from upgrading my processor was fantastic, but there's no way it would compete with a newer machine. The biggest problem you face is your bus speed. You're looking to a new chip to move all that data, but you're still at 133mhz while the intel macs are at the very least 667mhz.

I would recommend you do as I'm doing and save your money, wait it out, and get a new machine.
( Last edited by SirCastor; Jun 11, 2008 at 10:25 AM. Reason: recommended the wrong thing!)
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2008, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by SirCastor View Post
I would strongly recommend upgrading a G4.
(...)
I would recommend you do as I'm doing and (...) get a new machine.
So, what you're recommending anyway?
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jun 11, 2008, 08:41 AM

I think he meant to say he would strongly recommend against upgrading a G4 and instead get a new machine.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2008, 10:18 AM

Indeed, I must've missed the modifier in my typing. Sorry for the confusion. I Recommend AGAINST upgrading, and suggest instead replacing the machine with a new one.
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

hwojtek
Forum Regular
Jun 11, 2008, 10:39 AM

OK.
I have a different, even more insane idea, however. If possible, I'd want to upgrade a G3 iMac to a G4. Right now one of my iMacs just sits in the guest bedroom and is hardly used by any guests... G3 -> G4 upgrades?

...Or maybe i should get rid of the mobo and put a Mac Mini inside the G3 enclosure?
( Last edited by hwojtek; Jun 11, 2008 at 10:49 AM. )
Wojtek

All Macs still running: iMac G3 Trayloader 333MHz, iMac G3 350 MHz, iMac G4, PM G4 DP 1.6 GHz, 2 x eMac 1 GHz, PBG4 12" 1.5 GHz, Mac SuperMini™ C2D 2.33GHz/802.11n/200GB, Mac Pro Quad Core 2.0 GHz/4GB.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 17, 2008, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by fashizzle View Post
You can get a used G5 tower in excellent condition for around $699 (Power Mac G5 | PowerMax), so start adding it all up. CPU upgrade, FW 800/USB 2.0, SATA interface, SATA drives, cooling, etc - and yer practically there.
I've done work (at work work -- CS2 Suite) on a single 1.6 G5, and I am of the opinion that you need at least a dual 1.8 if not a dual 2.0 if you're going to go as far as buying a used G5 tower. If you go dual 1.8, make sure it has the ability to take 8 gb of RAM & not just 4. There was a low-end model at 1 point with only 4 RAM slots.

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

Forum Links
Forum Rules