Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad- disappointing from a designers point of view

iPad- disappointing from a designers point of view
Ado
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2010, 03:52 AM

I know a few designers out there like me were hoping the iPad was designer savvy.
Upon viewing the youtube MS Courier concept videos, I was excited about this direction.
Instead we are stuck with the push icon OS of the iphone.

I guess I was hoping for it to use macintosh as its OS so it would be fully customisable.
What are your thoughts?

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 04:00 AM

I just think there's too much bezel.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 28, 2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I agree! I think the aluminum backing will be among the first to go in the next version also. They'll pick up a bunch of early-adopters and then the great design of this thing will be fully realized to pick up a new slew of consumers.
ebuddy

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 28, 2010, 08:17 AM

I think it would have been good to have a full fledged Macintosh install option somehow.
This push icon crap makes me sick and already looks dated.
Everyone copies it and the HP design looks fairly similar.

I do love the physical design, I hope that beautiful aluminum finish makes it to the iphone range.
Apple really needed to emphasise how files copy over.
Syncing and multitasking should have been there too in the demo.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
I guess I was hoping for it to use macintosh as its OS so it would be fully customisable.
When in its entire history has the Macintosh ever been "fully customisable"?

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jan 28, 2010, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
I agree! I think the aluminum backing will be among the first to go in the next version also. They'll pick up a bunch of early-adopters and then the great design of this thing will be fully realized to pick up a new slew of consumers.
They've abandoned it before. (i.e. 1st gen iPhone). But I really liked it on the original iPhone.

Thorzdad
Jan 28, 2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Well, from a strictly visual design standpoint, I agree. On the other hand, when you're dealing with a hand-held touch-screen device, you need to have some dead area around the live area for people to hold the thing naturally without accidentally registering a click/gesture/input/etc. That would normally mean ones thumb resting on the edge of the screen and, hence, the large bezel area.

Now, it could very well be that future iterations will see a slimming of the bezel area, as technology allows. From a visual standpoint, I hope so. I'd certainly love to see an edge-to-edge screen for a tablet. You would still have to work out a way to deal with the natural way people hold things like this.

As for something like the aforementioned MS Courier concept...pay attention to that word "concept". It's not product. It's probably a long, long way from product. Concepts are easy. Product is hard. Apple, in contrast to MS, never shows-off concepts. They keep concepts internal. That's not to say they don't have something very much like Courier in the works. It could even be in the pipeline for a future version of the iPad. It's just that the public will never know definitively until the day it's actually announced as product.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 11:25 AM

I agree! I think the aluminum backing will be among the first to go in the next version also.
Doubtful.

The iPhone is already beginning to look dated next to the rest of Apple's glass-panel-in-aluminum-backshell products.

Professional Poster
Jan 28, 2010, 07:08 PM

Aluminum = Thank Goodness. If they had gone with the scratch-in-seconds iPod backing finish, don't know what I would have done.

The slight rounding of the edges seems like a bad idea, word has it that typing on a flat surface makes it wobble.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 28, 2010, 07:14 PM

Like I posted in another thread, it's also disappointing from a spaghetti aficionado's point of view. I love some well-made spaghetti, and the iPad does look like it will be good spaghetti at all.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 29, 2010, 05:11 AM

Are we talking about ability to be used by designers? Wouldn't be surprised to see a pressure sensitive pen ship soon... and I'd buy it in a heart beat!

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 29, 2010, 07:45 PM

Salty correct.
Take a look at what the MS courier was "meant to do"...

Anyway moving on...
Will I be able to atleast use an iPad for design presentations?
Can I transfer and open and scroll through PDF books, view EPS or AI files?
This iBooks system, does it have an ibooks creator, perhaps via iworks? Imagine making presentations for jobs and when viewing with client it does the page turn effects etc...

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Jan 29, 2010, 08:16 PM

This iBooks system, does it have an ibooks creator, perhaps via iworks? Imagine making presentations for jobs and when viewing with client it does the page turn effects etc...
Yes, presumably (at least for PDFs), and not announced yet, but it doesn't seem terribly likely to me.

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

Salty
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 08:27 AM

Salty correct.
Take a look at what the MS courier was "meant to do"...

Anyway moving on...
If you want a page flip effect all you need to do is make that the transition in Keynote. And iBooks will work with anything that can create ePub files, that's currently not Pages. Again Apple has everything in place to put out a a bluetooth enabled pen they just need some developers to make an App for it first. I'm sure they're already in talks with Adobe, and the guys from Pixelmator.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 11:06 AM

If the iPad had been around for a couple of decades and they suddenly launched the MacBook Pro last week, the MacBook Pro would be deemed revolutionary.

I guess I just don't understand the niche here.
ebuddy

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 11:09 AM

I think it would have been good to have a full fledged Macintosh install option somehow.
For that to happen, the iPad would have to cost $1000 more.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
As for something like the aforementioned MS Courier concept...pay attention to that word "concept". It's not product. It's probably a long, long way from product.
Also, Microsoft has previously never gone into the computer manufacturing business so as not to alienate their computer manufacturing partners. They *have* produced many prototypes (I got to play with an MS tablet prototype back in 2001), but those have been meant to inspire their computer manufacturing partners. Courier is probably much the same in intent.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
The slight rounding of the edges seems like a bad idea, word has it that typing on a flat surface makes it wobble.
My first thought as soon as I saw that rounding was to wonder how long it will be until someone releases the iWedge.

hayesk
Jan 30, 2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Are we talking about ability to be used by designers? Wouldn't be surprised to see a pressure sensitive pen ship soon... and I'd buy it in a heart beat!
The screen on the iPad won't support it. I'm amazed that people expect a full-fledged Mac - at this price point it just won't have the horsepower (or the battery life). The axiotron modbook fits the need you are looking for.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
I'm sure they're already in talks with Adobe ...
I wouldn't be so certain about that.
http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform...oken_link.html
The Flash Blog � The iPad provides the ultimate browsing experience?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 11:27 AM

You can get a G4 iBook with a larger HD, better processor, runs a full build of OSX, exponentially greater connection options, larger screen, higher res, can run all of your favorite professional apps, and can have a really nice Wacom tablet purchased and connected all for less than the cost of the iPad.

... and the best part is you can even read your eBooks on it.
ebuddy

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2010, 11:36 AM

If the iPad had been around for a couple of decades and they suddenly launched the MacBook Pro last week, the MacBook Pro would be deemed revolutionary.

I've been mulling it over for awhile. In my mind, as it sit right now, the iPad seems built for someone who is intent on embracing the whole wireless, web-based app, cloud storage world. Think Google Apps, MobileMe storage, etc. A "work anywhere" appliance.
At least that's the niche I see for it right now, in my mind. Of course, evolution has a way of pushing things in unforeseen directions.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 11:39 AM

Think Google Apps, MobileMe storage, etc. A "work anywhere" appliance.
Speaking of which, did anybody find it a little strange that MobileMe wasn't mentioned at all in the keynote?

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2010, 11:53 AM

Mobile Me was useless, Apple should have gave it away for free to mac users only as a treat for loyalty.
HP is building the MS courier.
There was no mention of file transfer in iPad. I think the Ipad was rushed.
Usually Apple announces new software OS updates with every new hardware. iPhone os4 with multitasking anyone?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 12:32 PM

Mobile Me was useless, Apple should have gave it away for free to mac users only as a treat for loyalty.
Doesn't Google already offer a similar program to Mobile Me... free?

Usually Apple announces new software OS updates with every new hardware. iPhone os4 with multitasking anyone?
I was wondering the same thing.
ebuddy

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2010, 01:26 PM

A return to the original free iTools/iDisk? That would be nice.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2010, 02:55 PM

I was surprised there was no iWeb on the iPad. It would work as well as Pages or Keynote.

Overall, I think the design isn't surprising. It looks like the lid of a MacBook.

As for running full Mac OS X, a VPN client for iPad is certain. Lots of Macs are gonna be remote-controlled by iPads.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Jan 30, 2010, 04:29 PM

Originally Posted by adamfishercox View Post
There needs be some sort of gap between the device and the table top to facilitate grabbing the device with one hand. MacBooks have some, too, but it seems much less.

As for 'push icon os', I think it is great design; you spend your time in apps, not in the file/window manager doing janitorial crap.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 06:59 PM

This is not the niche. The iPad is the mainstream.

A full-fledged computer is becoming the niche market.

It used to be that you needed a "computer" to write email, surf the web, and keep up with friends. Now, this stuff fits in your pocket. And, it does video and music, too.

The iPad does everything a normal person needs, and it's a book, magazine, and photo viewer/library.

And your grandmother not only *can*, but *wants to* use it, because it's as undaunting as a stack of magazines.

That's why it needs to run iPhone OS, and not a transplanted computer interface.

This thing will wipe out the low-end PC/laptop/netbook market.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
There needs be some sort of gap between the device and the table top to facilitate grabbing the device with one hand. MacBooks have some, too, but it seems much less.

As for 'push icon os', I think it is great design; you spend your time in apps, not in the file/window manager doing janitorial crap.
Yep, and then we can rely on Apple's excellent trackrecord at handling the janitorial crap.
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...some-pictures/

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
This is not the niche. The iPad is the mainstream.

A full-fledged computer is becoming the niche market.

It used to be that you needed a "computer" to write email, surf the web, and keep up with friends. Now, this stuff fits in your pocket. And, it does video and music, too.

The iPad does everything a normal person needs, and it's a book, magazine, and photo viewer/library.

And your grandmother not only *can*, but *wants to* use it, because it's as undaunting as a stack of magazines.

That's why it needs to run iPhone OS, and not a transplanted computer interface.

This thing will wipe out the low-end PC/laptop/netbook market.
These are all good points Spheric and I openly admit it's likely just me. I'm just an opinionated guy. It remains to be seen how many grandmothers are going to shell out $500+ for a machine that runs web-based applications and gives them books to read. Netbooks are still more capable machines with more storage, higher resolution, about a pound heavier, some with optical drive, able to run your favorite professional apps, and some still at about half the cost.

IMO the niche here will most likely be early adopters who want another Apple gadget, but again... I could be way off the mark. On a positive note, I was pleasantly surprised at the $499 entry-level price point. To show you what I know, I didn't see that coming either.
ebuddy

Thorzdad
Jan 30, 2010, 07:54 PM

This is not the niche. The iPad is the mainstream. A full-fledged computer is becoming the niche market.
This.
There's a very angry and heated discussion going on over at ArsTechnica about the iPad. For the most part, it's geeks and techies ranting and wailing about how the iPad isn't really a netbook or a real powerful tablet PC. They're all missing the point that it's not meant to be a traditional computer. It's a whole different animal aimed squarely at consumers and not the tech elite. Reading the rants, it was pretty easy to imagine that a lot of the genuine anger toward the iPad was coming from the fact that this shiny new toy wasn't made for specifically for them and their increasingly tiny niche.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 30, 2010, 08:05 PM

Netbooks are still more capable machines with more storage, higher resolution, about a pound heavier, some with optical drive, able to run your favorite professional apps, and some still at about half the cost.
netbooks aren't "more capable" - that's geek anthropomorphizing that completely ignores what Apple set out to do with Macintosh 26 years ago.

The USER is much more capable with an iPad than with a netbook.

(And who on earth would consider running "professional software" on a netbook?)

The netbook market was already dying long before the iPad became a certainty. They're either geek toys or appropriately powered but hopelessly over-complex surfboxes for casual lay users.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jan 30, 2010, 08:37 PM

Because I was bored, I just did a search for "uses for a netbook" on Google

Five (Useful) Things to Do With a Netbook | Gadget Lab | Wired.com
Uses for a netbook? - Notebooks
The Holistic Economy: An Eee PC in Every Room? Twenty Uses for Netbooks in Your Home

and it goes on, I've read through them and its hard to find things people do with netbooks that wouldn't be possible with an iPad and available app store software. There's talk in the whirlpool forum about web developer stuff, using Dreamweaver and Fireworks, but with the iPad file storage system, a new version of something like PS Mobile (photoshop) and a code text editor, I think that would be possible.

As has been said, a lot is riding on the software development for the iPad, but there's a lot of powerful stuff out there for the iPhone that can be used as is, or updated by the developer.

An iPad seems able to do what most people would use a netbook for, but outside of the Mac user world, people will need convincing that its true.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jan 30, 2010, 10:31 PM

netbooks aren't "more capable" - that's geek anthropomorphizing that completely ignores what Apple set out to do with Macintosh 26 years ago.

The USER is much more capable with an iPad than with a netbook.

(And who on earth would consider running "professional software" on a netbook?)

The netbook market was already dying long before the iPad became a certainty. They're either geek toys or appropriately powered but hopelessly over-complex surfboxes for casual lay users.
I won't argue with you. I will gladly eat my words.
ebuddy

hayesk
Jan 31, 2010, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Yep, and then we can rely on Apple's excellent trackrecord at handling the janitorial crap.
http://forums.macnn.com/82/applicati...some-pictures/
A one-time rare bug that caused someone's thumbnails to go away isn't really relevant.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jan 31, 2010, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by hayesk View Post
A one-time rare bug that caused someone's thumbnails to go away isn't really relevant.
It's hardly "one time" for strange things to happen with files managed by iTunes and iPhoto.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2010, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
An iPad seems able to do what most people would use a netbook for, but outside of the Mac user world, people will need convincing that its true.
I don't think anybody who's been exposes to an iPhone needs any convincing at all, actually.

The people who think it's too limited aren't the target - they're the niche.

Brien
Professional Poster
Feb 1, 2010, 07:03 PM

This.
There's a very angry and heated discussion going on over at ArsTechnica about the iPad. For the most part, it's geeks and techies ranting and wailing about how the iPad isn't really a netbook or a real powerful tablet PC. They're all missing the point that it's not meant to be a traditional computer. It's a whole different animal aimed squarely at consumers and not the tech elite. Reading the rants, it was pretty easy to imagine that a lot of the genuine anger toward the iPad was coming from the fact that this shiny new toy wasn't made for specifically for them and their increasingly tiny niche.
I find it somewhat scary that Apple hasn't included hardware keyboards on the iPhones/iPad, but it's becoming clear that Apple is gearing up for a paradigm-shift: they're phasing them out. From shifting to multi-touch input devices (Magic Mouse and the new trackpads) on their computers to glass screens on the desktop and notebook lines in anticipation, I presume, of eventual touch-screen capability - look at rumors of a 22-inch multitouch iMac for instance - I'm beginning to see that in 5-10 years, we'll have seen the death of the iMac, Mac Pro, and Macbook lines, to be replaced with 15", 20", and 30" iPads.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2010, 07:10 PM

Yes, except I hope they find a way to move them down to the tabletop, because it's completely impossible - as in physically impossible for humans - to use a touchscreen at the position of the current iMac's display for anything more than brief manipulation.

Ado  (op)
Forum Regular
Feb 1, 2010, 10:01 PM

Just saw this-
Google Translate

What the iPad should have been. Im reading theres rumours of an OSX tablet in the making.
Current OSX has no touch screen functions.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2010, 11:04 PM

Just saw this-
Google Translate

What the iPad should have been. Im reading theres rumours of an OSX tablet in the making.
There are rumors ?

Seriously ?

-t

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2010, 02:58 AM

I agree with Spheric on this. The point isn't tech specs and capabilities; it's usability and convenience.

I will use the iPad for most of the things I do at home. I check the news every now and then, I bank online, I waste time on Facebook, and listen to music. With an iPad I can do this without an annoying startup wait, without app loading times, without worrying about my battery life, etc.

It's also a lot more convenient to take to class, since it can fit in between my books and notepad.

It's a bit like the iPod Touch. I bought one thinking I would only use it for music, and now I end up doing tons of things on it and wishing that it were only a little bigger so that I could replace my laptop, because it's extremely convenient.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 06:56 AM

Just saw this-
Google Translate

From the info page, the *only* things that slate offers over the iPad are live TV and a webcam.

And the likely necessity of having to interface with Windows at some point. And four hours of battery life.

Judge_Fire
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2010, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Kerrigan View Post
It's a bit like the iPod Touch. I bought one thinking I would only use it for music, and now I end up doing tons of things on it and wishing that it were only a little bigger so that I could replace my laptop, because it's extremely convenient.
This. I can't wait to read the morning paper on the iPad. This MacBook just seems downright clumsy in comparison. The iPhone passes the laying-on-the-couch- test, but the MacBook is too big, too angular and too magsafe. A touch screen pad just sounds right, as a form factor, in both the HW and SW worlds. Mobile Safari and Tweetie, to me, are better than the desktop counterparts.

And so I find it awesome to be bunched in with the grandmas and other 'target groups which are not techies', as I've had portable Macs since the PB 150 and spend much of my time doing app development for a living. Grandmas get it, apparently

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2010, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Judge_Fire View Post
Grandmas get it, apparently
Except Eug's grandma - she's so darn demanding.

-t

jlcrane
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2010, 09:46 PM

What is the point of this device???? I have an iphone, why would I need an Ipad? I would jump at the chance to own one if it were a mac/tablet that would run my proprietary software. Very disappointed!! Ipad will fail!!! Do not need an oversized game machine.

Phileas
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2010, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by jlcrane View Post
Ipad will fail!!!
Want to back that statement up with a bet? I'm prepared to put money on you being wrong.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Feb 11, 2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by jlcrane View Post
What is the point of this device???? I have an iphone, why would I need an Ipad? I would jump at the chance to own one if it were a mac/tablet that would run my proprietary software. Very disappointed!! Ipad will fail!!! Do not need an oversized game machine.
So because the device doesn't cater to your needs it will fail?

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2010, 02:05 AM

I know a few designers out there like me were hoping the iPad was designer savvy.
Upon viewing the youtube MS Courier concept videos, I was excited about this direction.
Instead we are stuck with the push icon OS of the iphone.

What are your thoughts?
This just shows that "art" designers are not necessarily good UI designer. A UI has to be "usable" first and pretty second.
--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

Forum Links
Forum Rules