Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Got a new ride!

Got a new ride! (Page 3)
Thread Tools
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 08:55 PM
 
You forget that the OP is in the UK, not Amerika. Their GTIs are totally different than ours as far as years and power trains within those years.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:17 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
uh, a dsg gti does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds bone stock.
6.5/6.6
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:24 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
$7000 MkIV GTI + $2000 in upgrades = 220hp, 2700lbs
$25000 MkV GTI 190hp, 2900lbs.

Yeah, gee, what a ****ing deal.
Dude, Rich lives in London. $25,000 is a good night out down there.

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
As for edition 30, whatever the hell those are, how much do those run?
More than you can afford. Less than Rich can afford.

Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
DSG defenders are just afraid to admit they can't drive a car with a proper transmission.
Everyone in the UK can drive stick. You can't pass your test without knowing how to do so. This is not Amerikkka.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:24 PM
 
Where are you getting that from? I checked Motor Trend, who are generally a little quick, but not that much off. Still, that's not Rob's 7.1 seconds. Also, why isn't my capitalization working in the quote?
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:30 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Where are you getting that from?
Pretty much every UK source.

Example.

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Also, why isn't my capitalization working in the quote?
Because I didn't put any capitals in my response to it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:35 PM
 
Could the admins define a special rule in the forum software that blocks Rob from any car thread?
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Because I didn't put any capitals in my response to it.
Interesting, I didn't know that happened.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 15, 2010, 11:50 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Interesting, I didn't know that happened.
Sorry Mitch, I think I'm telling you wrong (I'm tired - just off to bed!). It's because I didn't put any lower case letters in. Something to do with the anti-shouting (all caps) code.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 12:00 AM
 
Oh, okay. That makes more sense then. Thanks for clarifying
     
richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 05:22 AM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Every person I know with a GTI has the 180hp version. Including my girlfriend. I've heard 220hp with chip + exhaust, easy. Considering the cars cost like 5-7 grand in good shape, what sounds better?

$7000 MkIV GTI + $2000 in upgrades = 220hp, 2700lbs
$25000 MkV GTI 190hp, 2900lbs.

Yeah, gee, what a ****ing deal.

As for edition 30, whatever the hell those are, how much do those run? And 300hp with FWD is kind of stupid. I've driven lots of FWD performance cars, and they don't make much sense above 250hp. They just smoke tires easier. And DSGs are ****ing lame. Sorry. Automatics are for girls. I really don't care if they're .00005 seconds faster, you have less control. No rev matching on downshifts, no heel toe, nothing that connects you to a car. DSG defenders are just afraid to admit they can't drive a car with a proper transmission.
Ermmm... the MK5... cos its looks better, drives better, has a proper rear suspension, has a proper turbo (not a pathetic k03), has a better engine, better steering rack, better gearbox, better spec..... i could go on!

I dont know why you keen saying the MK5 GTI is 190bhp.... they are 197.... do some research!

Edition 30 is 227 stock, and up to 350 with the right mods.... as you seem to know so much about golf, why the hell are you asking me?

MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3
     
richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 05:23 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Could the admins define a special rule in the forum software that blocks Rob from any car thread?
That would be a shame.... i like to see people make complete fools out of themselves!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 06:56 AM
 
Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
Ermmm... the MK5... cos its looks better, drives better, has a proper rear suspension, has a proper turbo (not a pathetic k03), has a better engine, better steering rack, better gearbox, better spec..... i could go on!

I dont know why you keen saying the MK5 GTI is 190bhp.... they are 197.... do some research!
Research:
Horsepower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Horsepowers confuse me.
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 07:53 AM
 
Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
That would be a shame.... i like to see people make complete fools out of themselves!
The only person making a fool out of themselves is the person who dropped a large chunk of change on a lard-assed "hot hatch" with a measly 197hp, fail wheel drive, and an automatic transmission.
     
richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 08:15 AM
 
LOL.... your funny!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 09:15 AM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
The only person making a fool out of themselves is the person who dropped a large chunk of change on a lard-assed "hot hatch" with a measly 197hp, fail wheel drive, and an automatic transmission.
I got an infraction earlier this week for a personal attack on you, and it's super tempting to go all mental on you again.

1) Rich has money.
2) Rich can spend his money on what he wants.
3) If you think you should tell people how to spend their money, go into TV or radio.
4) In this day and age, under 3k lbs is hardly overweight.
5) The car you keep parading around, the Neon and the MkIV are still FWD.
6) Obviously you haven't read anything anyone has said about DSG, much less driven one. Whether or not you buy a dual-clutch manual or a 3-pedal setup is a personal choice. You don't have to act all elite about it. It's like getting mad at someone for eating a Hershey's milk chocolate bar when if they just looked a bit harder at the supermarket, they could have gotten some Ghiradelli.
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 09:29 AM
 
Originally Posted by richwig83 View Post
LOL.... your funny!
What about his funny?
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 10:16 AM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
The only person making a fool out of themselves is the person who dropped a large chunk of change on a lard-assed "hot hatch" with a measly 197hp, fail wheel drive, and an automatic transmission.
Boy, anyone who doesn't buy the exact cars you like is really stupid, aren't they?
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 01:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
1) Rich has money.
2) Rich can spend his money on what he wants.
3) If you think you should tell people how to spend their money, go into TV or radio.
4) In this day and age, under 3k lbs is hardly overweight.
5) The car you keep parading around, the Neon and the MkIV are still FWD.
6) Obviously you haven't read anything anyone has said about DSG, much less driven one. Whether or not you buy a dual-clutch manual or a 3-pedal setup is a personal choice. You don't have to act all elite about it. It's like getting mad at someone for eating a Hershey's milk chocolate bar when if they just looked a bit harder at the supermarket, they could have gotten some Ghiradelli.
1. Awesome. Buy something cool then.
2. He certainly can. And I can also share my opinion on whatever he buys. You can choose to agree or disagree with my opinion, just as I can choose to agree or disagree with his decision.
3. What?
4. You are correct, which is why I think most new cars are shite.
5. And obviously much cheaper (70-95%) with almost identical performance.
6. I don't ever want a DSGautomation nanny control shifting for me, if I have the choice. It sounds like you're defending it because you can't drive stick.
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 01:29 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Boy, anyone who doesn't buy the exact cars you like is really stupid, aren't they?
Hey Sek, I need a work truck. I am going to use it to haul 2 ladders and some painting supplies. Should I drop 45 grand on a F-350, or spend $3-5k on a used F150?
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 01:31 PM
 
Oh my word Rob. We ALL know that you don't want an automatic shifting for you. We ALL know that you think everyone should buy an old car. You don't need to say it more than once in every single car-related thread.
Interesting thought that I can't drive stick, seeing as I just drove a manual-gearbox Matrix XRS to school this morning... I'm not defending the DSG. I'm just stating facts. Like I said, it's a personal choice, and everyone in the Lounge here knows what you would choose and you don't need to parade it around obnoxiously like you do.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 01:32 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Hey Sek, I need a work truck. I am going to use it to haul 2 ladders and some painting supplies. Should I drop 45 grand on a F-350, or spend $3-5k on a used F150?
You should put a roof rack on your Audi.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 01:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Oh my word Rob. We ALL know that you don't want an automatic shifting for you. We ALL know that you think everyone should buy an old car. You don't need to say it more than once in every single car-related thread.
Interesting thought that I can't drive stick, seeing as I just drove a manual-gearbox Matrix XRS to school this morning... I'm not defending the DSG. I'm just stating facts.
Obviously you're a huge liar. Anyone who drives stick would know he's right.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 01:34 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Obviously you're a huge liar. Anyone who drives stick would know he's right.
I know right? I've only spent hours driving both DSG and manuals, why should I or the OP know? I need to read a book about it...

I'm not even saying that I LIKE the DSG more than a manual. A manual is simply more satisfying for me personally. But you really can't go wrong with a dual-clutch box. It's just so smooth, quick, and responsive with flappy paddles. They rev-match downshifts even in day to day driving when you're coming to a stop. I'm not gonna call someone a huge fool for choosing one...
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 01:35 PM
 
Oh good, you picked up on my sarcasm.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 01:45 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Obviously you're a huge liar. Anyone who drives stick would know he's right.
Reported for personal attack on imitchell.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 04:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Hey Sek, I need a work truck. I am going to use it to haul 2 ladders and some painting supplies. Should I drop 45 grand on a F-350, or spend $3-5k on a used F150?
First off, anywhere there is salt on the roads a 3 grand F150 is going to be a rot-box.

Secondly, if you are a painter a small van or station wagon with racks would work just fine.

I'm a Contractor and I have a mid-size Sonoma, most people who buy 250s and up do so to look badass. Ever driven in a stiffly sprung 4x4 250 with no weight in it? Not a pleasurable ride.

I'm going to stay out of why a Gti sucks or whatnot, but I knew when I saw this thread created that you'd invariably come in here to sh!t on his choice of car, even before I knew what kind of car it was.

You really need to stop being so one-dimensional. Not everyone wants to hunt for great used car deals, some people like buying something that has never been driven before.
     
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 46 & 2
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 05:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Hey Sek, I need a work truck. I am going to use it to haul 2 ladders and some painting supplies. Should I drop 45 grand on a F-350, or spend $3-5k on a used F150?
For some, $45K isn't much more than $5K. /shrug
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine
     
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 06:13 PM
 
Fact: Most motoring journalists actually drive a car before reviewing it.

Hey rob, can you go find me a bad review of the GTI? Other than yours, of course.
     
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 07:17 PM
 
I drive a 168hp, 2723 lb, FWD hatch with an old school slushbox automatic, and I love it. Most fun I've had on 4 wheels. I drove a manual for 20 years, and the automatic was the right choice for me at this point in my life and given my driving needs. Anyone who wants to tell me different needs to know where they can shove it.
     
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 07:26 PM
 
Oh, and rich - nice ride. I've always liked the GTIs. And yes, your new one looks sweeter than those older ones.
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 07:39 PM
 
Originally Posted by CreepDogg View Post
I drive a 168hp, 2723 lb, FWD hatch with an old school slushbox automatic, and I love it. Most fun I've had on 4 wheels. I drove a manual for 20 years, and the automatic was the right choice for me at this point in my life and given my driving needs. Anyone who wants to tell me different needs to know where they can shove it.
Top10: Reasons Real Men Drive Manual Cars - AskMen.com
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 07:41 PM
 
Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
Fact: Most motoring journalists actually drive a car before reviewing it.

Hey rob, can you go find me a bad review of the GTI? Other than yours, of course.
It isn't a bad car at all. I just don't see why anybody would buy it when the previous gen has about the same HP, is 200lbs less, and so much cheaper. If the prices were more competitive, I guess I could understand it, but when it's literally like 400% of the price of a decent used one, I just don't get it.
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 07:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I'm going to stay out of why a Gti sucks or whatnot, but I knew when I saw this thread created that you'd invariably come in here to sh!t on his choice of car, even before I knew what kind of car it was.

You really need to stop being so one-dimensional. Not everyone wants to hunt for great used car deals, some people like buying something that has never been driven before.
And that's fine. I'm glad people like that exist, so I can buy a still reliable and great car a few years later for about 20% of the original sticker price.
     
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 07:46 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
...except that real men don't need to prove their manliness with their car!
     
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 07:49 PM
 
Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Not everyone wants to hunt for great used car deals, some people like buying something that has never been driven before.
Not to mention, people with actual jobs tend to have more money than time.
     
Laminar
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 08:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
The only person making a fool out of themselves is the person who dropped a large chunk of change on a lard-assed "hot hatch" with a measly 197hp, fail wheel drive, and an automatic transmission.
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
It isn't a bad car at all.
Well, at least you're being logically consistent.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 09:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
Real men have already got their left hand in her panties, so find it difficult to change gear manually.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Washington + Colorado
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 09:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
It isn't a bad car at all. I just don't see why anybody would buy it when the previous gen has about the same HP, is 200lbs less, and so much cheaper. If the prices were more competitive, I guess I could understand it, but when it's literally like 400% of the price of a decent used one, I just don't get it.
I can't wait to hear your argument when somebody on this forum buys a super expensive car, like, say a Mercedes SL65 Black.
     
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 09:54 PM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
It isn't a bad car at all. I just don't see why anybody would buy it when the previous gen has about the same HP, is 200lbs less, and so much cheaper. If the prices were more competitive, I guess I could understand it, but when it's literally like 400% of the price of a decent used one, I just don't get it.
1. The MkIVs just don't handle was well as the MkVs and are widely regarded as underwhelming for the GTI badge.
2. Style. The MkIV is just plain boring, bordering on ugly.
3. Who's buying new? Looks like richwig83 and I have both bought 2nd hand with some warranty left. I paid approximately 2x what I would have for a MkIV.
4. New car warranty. This is a Volkswagen. Repairs can get expensive, particularly on older VWs... like... MkIVs.
5. There is no 5.
6. GTIs are cheaper in Oz than they are elsewhere.

I hope this answers all of your questions and I look forward to further correspondence.

Regards,


Face Ache.
     
CreepDogg
Mac Elite
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 10:14 PM
 
Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Real men have already got their left hand in her panties, so find it difficult to change gear manually.


I was thinking the same thing about #1 on that list, except I was going to say something more like 'Women like men who are good with their hands, particularly when they have at least one free!'

And of course for us colonists, that'd be the right hand...
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 11:23 PM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
Well, at least you're being logically consistent.
GTI =

Automatic transmission =
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 11:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
I can't wait to hear your argument when somebody on this forum buys a super expensive car, like, say a Mercedes SL65 Black.
Props if they do. I don't have to like it. For that kind of coin ($320k) I'm pretty sure I could do better though. I'd get an NSX, a 355, a 512TR, an insight or CRX HF, another SVX for winter driving, pump up my wagon to 6-700hp, and get a jeep wagoneer for towing duties. Oh, and a BMW 850csi.
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 16, 2010, 11:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Face Ache View Post
1. The MkIVs just don't handle was well as the MkVs and are widely regarded as underwhelming for the GTI badge.
2. Style. The MkIV is just plain boring, bordering on ugly.
3. Who's buying new? Looks like richwig83 and I have both bought 2nd hand with some warranty left. I paid approximately 2x what I would have for a MkIV.
4. New car warranty. This is a Volkswagen. Repairs can get expensive, particularly on older VWs... like... MkIVs.
5. There is no 5.
6. GTIs are cheaper in Oz than they are elsewhere.
1. Stock, yes. They're kind of soft. My girlfriend has one. I drive it a lot. It's still a nicely built car, and with an exhaust, chip, and suspension, it would be extremely entertaining. A few of my friends have modified MkIVs, they look great, haul ass, and handle well.

2. Subjective. I think the "gaping maw" is too fast and furious. I like restrained german style much better than this over the top ridiculousness that's been popping up the past 5-7 years. I appreciate the subtlety of the MkIV, to me, it looks more like an apple product: Minimal, simple, elegant.

MkIV GTI:


is to :




as MkV GTI



is to:




One is overly styled, busy, "blinged out" and flashy. The other is simple, classy, and timeless. So you may think the styling of the new one is better, but I clearly do not. Agree to disagree.

3. Props on not buying new then. You score cool points in my book.
4. Huh? Where? VWs aren't luxury cars, and parts aren't that bad. Do you mean coil packs? Because those are cheap/easy.

Glad you like your car though, I just think the MkIVs are a better deal, and a better design, plus they're lighter.
     
Face Ache
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Jul 2001
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2010, 02:17 AM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
1. Stock, yes. They're kind of soft. My girlfriend has one. I drive it a lot. It's still a nicely built car, and with an exhaust, chip, and suspension, it would be extremely entertaining. A few of my friends have modified MkIVs, they look great, haul ass, and handle well.
I'd save the dough for the suspension, chip and exhaust (and the body kit you keep showing), and buy a stock MkV, which will still handle better because it has a better chassis (one that has been carried over to the new MkVI).

You're right that appearance is subjective, and I much prefer the MkV (don't like the MkVI either BTW - back to boring).
     
Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: 888500128, C3, 2nd soft.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2010, 03:32 AM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
as MkV GTI
Um, I'm pretty sure that's a Mk VI.

But you're the expert, so I'll shut up.
     
richwig83  (op)
Mac Elite
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2010, 04:44 AM
 
Epic fail!!!

The mk4 is lighter, but who cares? The mk5 would still be quicker in a straight line and through the bends!

DSG FTW!
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 | 4GB | 128GB SSD ~ 500GB+2TB Externals ~ iPhone 4 32GB
Canon 5DII | EF 24-105mm IS USM | EF 100-400mm L IS USM | 50mm 1.8mkII
iMac | Mac Mini | 42" Panasonic LED HDTV | PS3
     
BadKosh
Professional Poster
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Just west of DC.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2010, 08:50 AM
 
Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
BadKosh = Boy And Dog Knife Orifices Soon Here
Pointless. again...
     
downinflames68
Baninated
Join Date: Jun 2009
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2010, 09:03 AM
 
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Um, I'm pretty sure that's a Mk VI.

But you're the expert, so I'll shut up.
It is. But I feel the same way about that one. Styling = over the top, blingish, and gross. Think Pontiac Firebird, not Audi TT.
     
Doofy
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vacation.
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2010, 09:40 AM
 
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
It is. But I feel the same way about that one. Styling = over the top, blingish, and gross. Think Pontiac Firebird, not Audi TT.
TTs are for women.
Firebirds are for blokes.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.
     
parsley
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Join Date: Jun 2010
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2010, 03:38 PM
 
TTs are for women.
Where does that leave the New Beetleā€¦ teens?
With Great Routers Comes Great Responsibility
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:52 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,