Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mail Downloads...

Mail Downloads...
fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 08:00 PM

not a lion issue, per se, but...

is this the most useless folder? not one person i know is aware of this folder, in the user library (and now further hidden in Lion of course).

when i show the folder to people (i usually put an alias to it on their desktop), they're stunned to find docs, pics...things they didn't know they had. and often there will be many dupes (because they repeatedly tried to download a file, then couldn't find it). so some people have hundreds of files in that folder.

what's the point of it? shouldn't ALL downloads go, by default, into the Downloads folder? what purpose does this folder serve?

just an observation; how many of you haven't been thru your own Mail Downloads folders??
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 08:10 PM

It's a temp folder for message attachments. When you view a message with attachments, they are initially downloaded there. When you actually save an attachment, they go to ~/Downloads. Delete a message with attachments, those files will also be removed from Mail Downloads.
Vandelay Industries

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
It's a temp folder for message attachments. When you view a message with attachments, they are initially downloaded there. When you actually save an attachment, they go to ~/Downloads. Delete a message with attachments, those files will also be removed from Mail Downloads.
so why do people have hundreds of files there? because they're still in the emails?...hmmm...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 08:30 PM

They either still have the emails somewhere or the email was deleted from a different device. My folder only has a couple of attachments for emails still in my inbox.
Vandelay Industries

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 08:51 PM

so the reason someone might have multiple copies of the same file is because they've clicked on it repeatedly in the email?
there must be a better way... thanks for the info tho.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 08:53 PM

Not sure on that. Hasn't happened to me.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 08:55 PM

Second thought, it might possibly be an attachment that was sent multiple times, perhaps when people are working on the same file and exchanging different versions of it.
Vandelay Industries

fisherKing  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 09:22 PM

no, someone will click on, say, a pdf. maybe they're coming back to that email later? they'll have this.pdf, this.pdf-1, this.pdf-2, etc etc SAME EXACT FILE...

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Jul 22, 2011, 09:27 PM

Never had that problem. Can't tell you what's going on. Whenever I reopen an attachment, it opens the same downloaded file.
Vandelay Industries

Forum Links
Forum Rules