Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 145)
Thread Tools
ajprice
Professional Poster
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: UK
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2009, 03:51 PM
 
There's also a Forza 3 250gb bundle with 2 controllers for £50 more than an Elite, in UK/Europe anyway.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.
     
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 17, 2009, 05:52 PM
 
PlayStation 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the PS3 models info you need there.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 23, 2009, 04:16 PM
 
Late Wednesday News

Rumor: Microsoft looking to take over EA
Reuters is reporting unsubstantiated rumors that Microsoft is interested in purchasing the second place third-party software publisher, Electronic Arts.
I don't see how this helps 360 owners, at least in the short term.



Rumor: Internal Best Buy memo confirms Wii price cut this Sunday
It's all but official at this point.



http://kotaku.com/5366021/second-batman-challenge-map-out-early-in-the-uk-[update]
Update: This content is exclusive to the PS3 in North America and so it will not be coming to the 360 in the U.S. You may read more about it at Eidos' official forums or in the official news release.
Well, this is a first for 360 owners. HOW DOES IT FEEL?!
(Probably not that bad as very few of us own the game)



360's New Wi-Fi will be $100; Old WiFi to get Price Cut - Xbox 360 - Kotaku
The 802.11n adapter whose development Microsoft recently confirmed will cost you one benjamin. The existing 802.11g adapter will get a haircut and cost $79.99. That's according to Ars Technica's trusty, and unnamed, "Mole."
It's almost progress.
     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 23, 2009, 05:53 PM
 
..and still you can get a wireless router for $20 less than their old adapter.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 25, 2009, 11:09 AM
 
Friday News

PS3 Slim: 1 Million Served - PS3 - Kotaku



XBLA games won't get bigger than 2GB

Reason 1a that MS needs to suck it up and put a 20 GB in the Arcade.



Wii Price Drop Timed to Wii Fit Plus Release - Wii - Kotaku
Sure...
     
Leonard
Professional Poster
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Friday News
XBLA games won't get bigger than 2GB

Reason 1a that MS needs to suck it up and put a 20 GB in the Arcade.
[/url]
I guess a 20GB would do, but why not a 60GB, at least.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 25, 2009, 11:44 AM
 
I'm giving concessions because they're being tight-asses about it.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 25, 2009, 03:53 PM
 
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 27, 2009, 06:17 AM
 
Alright, so there's been inklings around the web about SONY readying a system update with backwards compatibility, because they want to offer the ps2 library as DLC on their 'virtual console'(or whatever)...... that pretty much put the breaks on my PS3 plans for now, cause bc is a major factor in my decision process at the moment.

Downloading 4.7GB worth of data would be ridiculous, but if the emulator would support ps2 discs ill be set.

right now deciding between a phat ps3 or a slim... id rather wait and get a slim (if and)when they support PS2 games as well.

What do you guys reckon ? the latest i'll wait to pick one up is when 'the last guardian' is released.

Cheers
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 27, 2009, 01:47 PM
 
Then wait for The Last Guardian. I don't think they're going to do it, personally. Adding, then gimping, then cutting, then adding a feature would just be too weird.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Oakland, CA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 27, 2009, 03:23 PM
 
Simple choice, you have 2 options basically.

1) If backwards compatibility is a big factor - get a launch 20 or 60GB
2) If it's not a big issue, get the slim or any other model for that matter.

On another note, looks like some of the bigger PS2 games might just get the upgrade process like they are doing with the God Of War Collection due in a few weeks.

I'm with Chuckit, I don't see them backtracking too much on backward compatibility. They need to move forward not backward.
     
jokell82
Professional Poster
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 27, 2009, 03:50 PM
 
Sony is not going to (re)add disc-based backwards compatibility. The rumor is that they'll offer it for downloadable games, but that is all.

All glory to the hypnotoad.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2009, 11:27 AM
 
Yeah, some of you seem to be misconstruing Sony's (possible) plans for backwards emulation. If it does appear, its so they can charge you to play games you already own on your PS3.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 28, 2009, 11:44 AM
 
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 07:58 AM
 
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 10:35 AM
 
     
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 10:37 AM
 
^^ WTF is the point of that ad supposed to be?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 10:46 AM
 
Not sure what it has to do with gaming, if thats what you're asking.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:01 PM
 
Glad to see Sony is back to their bizarre and inadvisable marketing ways.

Look, how much actual playing of PS2 games is everybody expecting to be doing? If playing PS2 games is a major component of the decision, then why are you buying the PS3 in the first place? Are you buying an expensive piece of hardware to play the games that were meant for it or not?

My guess is that most of the people that think that BC is a tremendous deal get caught up playing current-gen games and mostly just forget about their PS2. And if you absolutely MUST play the PS2 games, why not just keep the PS2 around?

Also, PS2 games running at 480p mostly look like crap when played on a high-def television.

I've downloaded Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII for nostalgia's sake, but when it comes down to it, I'm either playing PS3 games or a few PSN titles like Bionic Commando Rearmed, Shatter, or Fat Princess. Let your current-gen console do what it was designed to do, and if they add software-based BC down the road, then great.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:03 PM
 
To me, I think the biggest thing is it would allow you to have one less device, and I imagine the PS3 would do some minor improvements to the graphics.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I swear I read somewhere that the PS3 can emulate the PSOne still...
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:07 PM
 
The PS3 is said to do minor improvements, but the BC material I've seen from the early models aren't that impressive at all. The games still look better played on standard-def.

I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but I don't think of BC as a make-or-break factor at all. How much do you use your 360 for BC?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The PS3 is said to do minor improvements, but the BC material I've seen from the early models aren't that impressive at all. The games still look better played on standard-def.
Yeah, and how does that matter? You gonna pull out your old 22" CRT with your PS2 when you play old games in the future?

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm as nostalgic as the next guy, but I don't think of BC as a make-or-break factor at all.
Make or break? No. But its a stupid feature to remove, at least the limited software BC. Why remove something that is already there?

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
How much do you use your 360 for BC?
There were three games on the original XBOX tanker I had any interest in. My friend got me one the first Christmas I had the 360. I played it.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:19 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Yeah, and how does that matter? You gonna pull out your old 22" CRT with your PS2 when you play old games in the future?
Of course not, and that's kind of the point. Why would I want to bust out games that I've already played before so that I can "enjoy" them on a screen that often stretches the image, degrades the overall quality, and sours the experience?

Make or break? No. But its a stupid feature to remove, at least the limited software BC. Why remove something that is already there?
I know the original, official reason was the removal of the "Emotion Engine" chip for price reasons.

The only way that Sony will hack me off with this is if they neglect BC and replace it solely with downloadable, PS2 games for $19.99 a piece.

There were three games on the original XBOX tanker I had any interest in. My friend got me one the first Christmas I had the 360. I played it.
So one game when you first got the system. Anything else?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:27 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Of course not, and that's kind of the point. Why would I want to bust out games that I've already played before so that I can "enjoy" them on a screen that often stretches the image, degrades the overall quality, and sours the experience?
You're being melodramatic. You can run your HDTV in 4:3. As for souring the experience, go revisit a N64 game on a CRT. It's not your experience being soured, it's your reality getting checked.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I know the original, official reason was the removal of the "Emotion Engine" chip for price reasons.
That's hardware emulation. I was talking about software emulation. The kind that already existed and was in PS3s.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The only way that Sony will hack me off with this is if they neglect BC and replace it solely with downloadable, PS2 games for $19.99 a piece.
That's exactly what I think they're planning on doing, albeit 3 years too late.


Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
So one game when you first got the system. Anything else?
What do you want me to do? Play games I don't like? I wasn't a fan of the original XBOX game line-up, what do you want from me?

Here's an interesting fact: In the waning days of the PS2 (after the 360 had been released) I spent my time playing PS1 games on my PS2... Driver and NFS III to be exact.
     
SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Washington, DC
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's hardware emulation. I was talking about software emulation. The kind that already existed and was in PS3s.
I've never paid too much attention to the BC issue, but isn't part of the problem with software emulation that it isn't 100% compatible?

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:38 PM
 
Originally Posted by SpaceMonkey View Post
I've never paid too much attention to the BC issue, but isn't part of the problem with software emulation that it isn't 100% compatible?
Absolutely, but that was also true with the PS2 and PS1 emulation (and is true of the 360). But wouldn't most people take 33% compatibility with their old library over 0%?
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 12:59 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
You're being melodramatic. You can run your HDTV in 4:3. As for souring the experience, go revisit a N64 game on a CRT. It's not your experience being soured, it's your reality getting checked.
I'm not an idiot. I don't expect the PS2 games to suddenly run in 1080p. They just look even worse on an HDTV, even when run in 4:3. I've seen it and played it.

That's exactly what I think they're planning on doing, albeit 3 years too late.
That's where all gaming is going. The moment I saw additional sports uniforms offered for a price online that were formerly free (thank you, EA Sports), I started fearing the gaming world was turning to crap.

What do you want me to do? Play games I don't like? I wasn't a fan of the original XBOX game line-up, what do you want from me?
All I'm saying that BC shouldn't be the primary (or even secondary) factor in whether or not someone purchases a console.

I understand that other people probably have larger PS1 and PS2 collections, and BC would mean something to them. But should it really be made into such a huge deal?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:09 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
All I'm saying that BC shouldn't be the primary (or even secondary) factor in whether or not someone purchases a console.

I understand that other people probably have larger PS1 and PS2 collections, and BC would mean something to them. But should it really be made into such a huge deal?
When you're removing a software feature you already had, yes.

Edit: The hilarious part is I thought it was ludicrous that Sony was essentially including the and entire PS2 in the PS3 at debut. That seemed over-the-top and unnecessary. Now that they have the ability to emulate it and they remove the feature? Equally ludicrous.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:17 PM
 
Why have BC ?
because it automatically extends the library of games available. Personally there's arent enough PS3 exclusives i want to justify a buying one(yet), but if it had BC, there were PS2 exclusives i could add to the list and can play em through a single box instead of doubling up on hardware.

Also, if they managed to implement software emulation to some degree of success, what's the point of throwing it out the window now ?

I have a GCN and Wii, and i wouldnt dream of having both hooked up.... luckily i can play all my GCN games(i have played through GCN games ive finished to overcome the lack of quality Wii titles on the Wii).

It's just convenience and sort-of 'completes' the product, imo.

Honestly, i think SONY would release select PS2 titles as DLC and charge for it, maybe include some kindof upscaling.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:33 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Why have BC ?
because it automatically extends the library of games available. Personally there's arent enough PS3 exclusives i want to justify a buying one(yet), but if it had BC, there were PS2 exclusives i could add to the list and can play em through a single box instead of doubling up on hardware.
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
The Last Guardian
LittleBigPlanet

MLB: The Show
Ratchet & Clank (series)
Killzone 2
Resistance
Resistance 2
God of War III
Gran Turismo 5
Infamous

Warhawk
White Knight Chronicles
Singstar
Afrika
Metal Gear Solid IV
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
MotorStorm (series)

[EDIT] - Elite, "must have" games in bold.

Also, if they managed to implement software emulation to some degree of success, what's the point of throwing it out the window now ?
If they implement software emulation, I will hop onto Amazon and pick up a few of my favorite games from the PS2 glory days. I still think it was the best console of all-time.

Sony's reason for throwing it out was (again) to save in production costs. If they manage to perfect a software-based solution, then GREAT.

I have a GCN and Wii, and i wouldnt dream of having both hooked up.... luckily i can play all my GCN games(i have played through GCN games ive finished to overcome the lack of quality Wii titles on the Wii).
It was easy for Nintendo to add perfect BC since they didn't improve the hardware.
PER-KOW!
It's just convenience and sort-of 'completes' the product, imo.
I can understand the convenience, for sure. The completion of the product...meh.

Honestly, i think SONY would release select PS2 titles as DLC and charge for it, maybe include some kindof upscaling.
If it's anything like the God of War 1/2 package coming up in 720p, I don't think anyone would really complain.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
When you're removing a software feature you already had, yes.
The question is whether or not there's been enough of an uproar for them to listen.
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:36 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
And if you absolutely MUST play the PS2 games, why not just keep the PS2 around?

Also, PS2 games running at 480p mostly look like crap when played on a high-def television.
You just answered your own question.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:37 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
The Last Guardian
LittleBigPlanet
MLB: The Show
Ratchet & Clank (series)
Killzone 2
Resistance
Resistance 2
God of War III
Gran Turismo 5
Infamous
Warhawk
White Knight Chronicles
Singstar
Afrika
Metal Gear Solid IV
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2
MotorStorm (series)
He said that he wants. The 360 has BC but its meaningless to me as there's nothing in the back library that I want. Out of that list you posted for the PS3, three games interest me. Nothing game-changing.


Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Sony's reason for throwing it out was (again) to save in production costs.
Uh, link? That's the first I heard of this. The official reasons I heard stated is "no one cares about BC" which is typical Sony BS.


Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The question is whether or not there's been enough of an uproar for them to listen.
Since when do they listen?
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:42 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
That's hardware emulation. I was talking about software emulation. The kind that already existed and was in PS3s.
AFAIK, the PS3 never had software emulation of the whole PS2. Without the hardware support, the partial software emulation is useless.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:43 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
partial software emulation is useless.
How so?
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:48 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
He said that he wants. The 360 has BC but its meaningless to me as there's nothing in the back library that I want. Out of that list you posted for the PS3, three games interest me. Nothing game-changing.
Fair enough, although unless a person's thing is JRPGs, there should be several titles on that list for just about anyone.

Out of curiosity, which three titles? And if one of them is not Uncharted 2, you should be shot.

Uh, link? That's the first I heard of this. The official reasons I heard stated is "no one cares about BC" which is typical Sony BS.
Sony Cut Costs with Emotion Engine Removal (there were plenty of other links)

Sony's Revamp of the PS3

And another big saving has come by ditching the Emotion Engine chip internally, along with software support of the PS2.

Backwards Compatibility IS Important to Sony


Sony Patents Method to Emulate PS2 on PS3
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:51 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
How so?
Because there are probably no games anywhere that only use the CPU and not the GPU.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:53 PM
 
Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Fair enough, although unless a person's thing is JRPGs, there should be several titles on that list for just about anyone.

Out of curiosity, which three titles? And if one of them is not Uncharted 2, you should be shot.
Uncharted 2, InFamous, LBP.



Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Once again that's talking about the hardware, not the software.



Yeah, it's important to them in that they are looking to make money off selling you titles you may already own. All it is is Games on Demand with older titles.
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 01:57 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Because there are probably no games anywhere that only use the CPU and not the GPU.
Alright, I'm confused. Are you saying the software emulation didn't work, or that the software emulation still relied on some PS2 hardware being in the PS3?
     
Brien
Professional Poster
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern California
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:05 PM
 
There were two types: total hardware emulation (PS2 CPU and GPU in the PS3) and partial software emulation, which emulated the CPU, but still relied on the EE.

AFAIK, they haven't (or don't want to) figured out how to emulate the EE.
     
Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Join Date: Apr 2000
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:06 PM
 
I did read up on it a little a few months ago, and i guess the intial PS3 had a PS2(hardware) inside, the ones doing software emulation were only emulating the CPU(i think), and they still had a few other PS2 chips in the box to actually complete the emulation.

It went from hardware support to a software-hardware-duo (partial emulation) model, and it could be entirely possible they cant be bothered with implementing the last few chip(s) in software.

I guess another reason im waiting is cause i know these companies will come out with another SKU with this missing feature, and ill be screwed (it happened with FireWire on my unibody MacBook for example), and seeing as how Sony has flip-flopped all over the place regarding this particular issue, i dont want to take any chances as i do want to play a few PS2 titles.

Im sure the PS3 has a lot of great exclusives to justify the console, if the PS3 had 0% BC from day 1 i wouldnt have had this dilemma now. but since there are a few PS2 titles i want, and SONY has shown that it is possible....i'd ratehr wait for the product to match my wants/needs, i guess.

EDIT:doh too late. Cheers Brien
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:07 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Alright, I'm confused. Are you saying the software emulation didn't work, or that the software emulation still relied on some PS2 hardware being in the PS3?
Yes. As far as I know, Sony has yet to actually release an emulator for the GPU. According to one of your links above, they appear to be working on GPU emulation (probably for downloadable games like the rumors say), but the "software" emulation we have now still requires a real Graphics Synthesizer to do anything.

Although the PS2 itself costs only $99, so I question how much the GPU actually added to the cost.
( Last edited by Chuckit; Sep 30, 2009 at 02:34 PM. )
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:12 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Yes. As far as I know, Sony has yet to actually release an emulator for the GPU. According to one of your links above, they appear to be working on GPU emulation, but the "software" emulation we have now still requires a real Emotion Engine to do anything.

Although the PS2 itself costs only $99, so I question how much the GPU actually added to the cost.
Alright, alright, now I get it.

I still think their excluding it is almost equal to MSs cheapness regarding having an HD in the arcade or wireless in the Elite. It can't be cutting into their margin that much.

(I realize I'm in the minority in this, but I'd rather have BC than wireless)
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:18 PM
 
I actually agree. I can easily install wireless, but I can't install backwards compatibility at all. What I don't get is why they don't just take PCSX2 and call that their backwards compatibility.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:22 PM
 
It's still mind-blowing that the PS3 is fully PS1 compatible (As far as I can tell). I realize its older software, but that would still require them to engineer it for the PS3 hardware.
     
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Louisiana
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:26 PM
 
Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Im sure the PS3 has a lot of great exclusives to justify the console, if the PS3 had 0% BC from day 1 i wouldnt have had this dilemma now. but since there are a few PS2 titles i want, and SONY has shown that it is possible....i'd ratehr wait for the product to match my wants/needs, i guess.
What if they never add BC, except as PSN downloadable titles?
     
Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: San Diego, CA, USA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:35 PM
 
Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
It's still mind-blowing that the PS3 is fully PS1 compatible (As far as I can tell). I realize its older software, but that would still require them to engineer it for the PS3 hardware.
They probably just ported the emulator from the PS2. They don't even need to worry about efficiency, since hardware is so much faster now that a PS1 game only needs to run at 1% of native clock speed.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 02:52 PM
 
Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
They probably just ported the emulator from the PS2. They don't even need to worry about efficiency, since hardware is so much faster now that a PS1 game only needs to run at 1% of native clock speed.
Obviously my knowledge of architecture and programming and such is passing layman quality, but wouldn't the new architecture of the PS3 require an emulator coded specifically for it?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 03:06 PM
 
Well, hasn't this been a lively day for the thread. Let me leave it with an image of the original PS3 boomerang controller concept for lulz.

     
sek929
Posting Junkie
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 04:21 PM
 
Did Sony team up with Mad Catz to design that beast?
     
The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Eternity
Status: Offline
Reply With Quote
Sep 30, 2009, 04:32 PM
 
Spider-man font, Batman batarang controller. Talk about mixed signals.
     
 
Thread Tools
 
Forum Links
Forum Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Top
Privacy Policy
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:36 AM.
All contents of these forums © 1995-2017 MacNN. All rights reserved.
Branding + Design: www.gesamtbild.com
vBulletin v.3.8.8 © 2000-2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.,