Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Bootcamp problems

Bootcamp problems
shelbydodgeimp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2006, 05:29 PM

Ok I have a macbook (which is an intel) and since you can't really use a mac for all-online college degree programs, I went out today and installed bootcamp on the machine and went to best buy and grabbed WindowsXP professional upgrade (since I have old windows cds everywhere here).

I install bootcamp, that goes ok... then I go to install windows.

OOPS! What a nightmare.

It will boot off the XP cd, run setup and then ask me to insert an old windows version cd... only there is no way to eject in windowsXP setup!! I tried the eject key on the keyboard, f12, f2, cmd-f2, you name it.

So now I have an opened $200 copy of XP I can't use and I still dont have XP installed because there is no way to eject the disk!

I tried looking for a way to use a paperclip to eject the CD manually but that must be a feature the macbook does not have because I can not find a spot for a paperclip to manually eject the slot loading cd.

Before I go out tomorrow and try to return the uninstalled win XP upgrade package, does anyone know if best buy will even take it?

Why didn't apple foresee people trying to install XP this way? I shouldn't have to pay for a full version of XP just because the mac won't eject the installer cd.

foo2
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by shelbydodgeimp View Post
Why didn't apple foresee people trying to install XP this way? I shouldn't have to pay for a full version of XP just because the mac won't eject the installer cd.
Apple did. All of this is clearly noted in the Boot Camp documentation.

A quick workaround would be to spend $65 or so (Amazon.com: Online Shopping for Electronics, Apparel, Computers, Books, DVDs & more) and buy Parallels.

ibook_steve
Dec 4, 2006, 05:36 PM

Did you check the requirements page?

Apple - Boot Camp

It clearly says you need full XP SP2.

Steve

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 4, 2006, 07:26 PM

And we have a whole forum for things like Boot Camp problems...I'll move this there.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Blasphemy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2006, 08:51 PM

you should have RTFM

Forum Links
Forum Rules