Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Message from Command-V start up

MacBook Message from Command-V start up
paulos_pdx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 13, 2010, 04:48 PM

I've been having problems getting my MacBook to start up. Recently it started shutting down shortly after the spinning spokes appeared. I tried starting up with Command-V and got (after a lot of other stuff) the following message: "synching drives...killing all processes."

Three more words, on single lines appear below it, something about CPU halted.

Any idea how to work around this, or is this a major repair?

Thanks!

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 13, 2010, 06:52 PM

Syncing drives? Do you have external drives or a Time Machine attached? Disconnect them and try again.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 02:06 AM

Launch the Mac in verbose single-user mode. Run fsck- fy. Repeat until it doesn't report any errors.

If that doesn't help, see if setting up a new user account and running from that helps.
( Last edited by Simon; Jan 14, 2010 at 02:01 PM. )

P
Jan 14, 2010, 06:02 AM

Syncing in this context just means that it is writing from the disk cache back to the actual drive (executing all deferred writes). Killing all processes means that any process that hasn't shut down yet is forcibly quit. CPU halt is simply another way of saying that the computer is shutting down. All of these are common things that happen when the system is shutting down, they are not the cause of it. If you are looking for the cause, you have to look further up. Something is initiating a controlled shutdown.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jan 14, 2010, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Launch the Mac in verbose mode. Run fsck- fy. Repeat until it doesn't report any errors.

If that doesn't help, see if setting up a new user account and running from that helps.

You mean single user mode.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 02:00 PM

Yep.

Forum Links
Forum Rules