Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Canadian Grand Prix

Canadian Grand Prix
Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 11:49 AM

Discuss the Canadian Grand Prix.

Schumacher is starting from way behind in the grid, and has this shitty tyres. I hope he still has a chance to beat Montoya and R�ikk�nen. No doube Ralf is not going to finish (in the top 8 at least), so no danger from him.
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 12:04 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
Discuss the Canadian Grand Prix.

Schumacher is starting from way behind in the grid, and has this shitty tyres. I hope he still has a chance to beat Montoya and R�ikk�nen. No doube Ralf is not going to finish (in the top 8 at least), so no danger from him.
I'd certainly hope that MS beats Kimi since Kimi is starting dead last! Kimi might get 4th or 5th and thats being VERY optimistic. I'm hoping for a MS DNF and another MONTOYA victory!

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by Agasthya:
I'd certainly hope that MS beats Kimi since Kimi is starting dead last!
Kimi is starting last!
What happened to him in qualifying? I've only been able to see the last two cars.
I'm hoping for a MS DNF.
You bastard!

( Last edited by Developer; Jun 15, 2003 at 12:18 PM. )
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 12:36 PM

Kimi is starting last!
Kimi put a wheel off the track coming into turn two and that totally threw him off and he ended up backing into a barrier and losing the rear wing.

heres a pic of him leaving the track.

Sealobo
Jun 15, 2003, 12:45 PM

Go Williams Go!

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 12:54 PM

Do you guys know how much money is flushed down this thing?

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Do you guys know how much money is flushed down this thing?
In Toronto (Indy, not Formula 1), there are lots of tourist dollars, etc. that come in with this. Good for the city. (Well, maybe not this year with the SARS scare, etc.)

Lots of big-boobed blonde brainless bimbo bombshells walking around too, for the hetero males into that sort of thing.

The only thing that I don't like is the noise. I live very close to Lake Shore Blvd, where the races are held. If I have the windows open it's so loud it seems like it's right next door.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 03:06 PM

Originally posted by sealobo:
Go Williams Go!
What in the WORLD was wrong with those Williams side mirrors?! Both Ralf and Montoyas fell off! Quite odd.

Good to see Williams are back on the pace of Ferrari again...although they should have won at Canada.

At least Developer is happy, right?

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
In Toronto (Indy, not Formula 1), there are lots of tourist dollars, etc. that come in with this. Good for the city. (Well, maybe not this year with the SARS scare, etc.)

Lots of big-boobed blonde brainless bimbo bombshells walking around too, for the hetero males into that sort of thing.

The only thing that I don't like is the noise. I live very close to Lake Shore Blvd, where the races are held. If I have the windows open it's so loud it seems like it's right next door.
Each team has a budget of 500 MILLION a year. each team. Now wouldn't 500 million be better spent anywhere else?

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 03:24 PM

At least Developer is happy, right?
Slightly more so if Frentzen had finished, but yes, I'm happy.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Skywalkers new Hand:
Each team has a budget of 500 MILLION a year. each team. Now wouldn't 500 million be better spent anywhere else?
Sure. You're free to not buy a car of a company that does F1. And no HP computer.

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 03:32 PM

Your statistics are wrong.

All figures are USD

Ferrari 443 million
Williams 353 million
McLaren 304 million
Toyota 290 million
BAR 225 million
Renault 206 million
Sauber 119 million
Jordan 79 million
Jaguar 78 million
Minardi 39 million

Total = 2,141,100,000

And Formula 1 is a business - they don't need to spend their money anywhere else, they do this for a living. If you spend more money on R&D and develop a better car and win more races then you will attract better sponsers and earn a profit.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2003, 03:34 PM

The continuous variable transmission in my family car is a direct result of the research done for race cars.

Sure I'd like to see 500 million go to Foster Parents Plan or something. However, it's not my tax dollars. It's generally private money and Toronto still benefits from it.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 03:56 PM

Your statistics are wrong.

All figures are USD

Ferrari 443 million
Williams 353 million
McLaren 304 million
Toyota 290 million
BAR 225 million
Renault 206 million
Sauber 119 million
Jordan 79 million
Jaguar 78 million
Minardi 39 million

Total = 2,141,100,000

And Formula 1 is a business - they don't need to spend their money anywhere else, they do this for a living. If you spend more money on R&D and develop a better car and win more races then you will attract better sponsers and earn a profit.
Oh that is much better. Why don't we skip a year a cure SARS or something.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 04:10 PM

TAKE THAT... YOU FERRARI (or even shcumacher) HATERS!

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 04:17 PM

Oh that is much better. Why don't we skip a year a cure SARS or something.
I really don't understand where you're going with this. Should all businesses in fields other than health care put their projects on hold and donate funds and personnel to curing SARS? I guess I'd better understand your point if Formula One operating budgets were previously being used to cure life threatening diseases and then all of a sudden they pulled out of that field to do motor racing - but that is not the case.

Or are you implying that all funds should be properly allocated by a central power to benefit society?

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 04:23 PM

Should all businesses in fields other than health care put their projects on hold and donate funds and personnel to curing SARS?
If you'd want that you could simply tax businesses more and give that tax money to health care.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 04:25 PM

I really don't understand where you're going with this. Should all businesses in fields other than health care put their projects on hold and donate funds and personnel to curing SARS? I guess I'd better understand your point if Formula One operating budgets were previously being used to cure life threatening diseases and then all of a sudden they pulled out of that field to do motor racing - but that is not the case.

Or are you implying that all funds should be properly allocated by a central power to benefit society?
The point is that is that it is a discusting waste of money.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 04:32 PM

I had started a topic here
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=164574

What is wrong with...

- the race starts of Rubens Barrichello, is this guy becoming another stupid guy in red?, he almost ruins the race of the best man on track today.
- the side mirrors of the Williams FW25, F1 is the pinnacle of technology, Williams is not Minardi, listen?
- Ralf, this guy is pathetic, he did not try to overtake his brother even he (Ralf) had a faster car today.
- The MS aptitude after cross the finish line, 'oh, look ,this is my maiden F1 victory, I am so happy, take that jealous drivers. And I did it with my underpowered and unperformed car, plus the fierce opposition of my brother Ralf, he he, poor Sir Frank Williams...'

A MS vicory?, yes, deserved?, not really, he only won because his pit crew did a better job that Ralf�s pit crew, and yet said, the inept of Ralf.

The best driver today was Alonso, if you don�t like it, eat it, Ferrari and Williams are running over 900 hp, Renault under 850, Alonso sets the race fastest lap, and the whole weekend fastest lap. Once again, ALONSO IS THE MAN.

Those numbers about $$$ are wrong. But yes, there are a great number of gizmos that born in F1 cars.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 04:34 PM

The point is that is that it is a discusting waste of money.
weren't you the person that started the 'what's your favourite brand' or whatever thread?

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by 7Macfreak:
weren't you the person that started the 'what's your favourite brand' or whatever thread?
Yes but the $20 more I spend on a pair of designer jeans aren't anything like 2 billion a year on a car race.

Plus I donate money EVERY month to charity and volunteer.

7Macfreak
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 04:43 PM

Yes but the $20 more I spend on a pair of designer jeans aren't anything like 2 billion a year on a car race.

the point being.. for some people even that $20 more you spend could be a disgusting waste of money.

there's alot of economic discrepancies. just cause you dont like one thing, doesnt mean its a waste.. or useless.

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 15, 2003, 04:44 PM

Originally posted by 7Macfreak:
the point being.. for some people even that $20 more you spend could be a disgusting waste of money.

there's alot of economic discrepancies. just cause you dont like one thing, doesnt mean its a waste.. or useless.
Dressing myself for and extra $20 or spending 2 billion to watch loud cars go in circles is a big difference.

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 05:29 PM

Dressing myself for and extra $20 or spending 2 billion to watch loud cars go in circles is a big difference.
What about American Footbal or basketball? I'm sure there also billions of dollar inside there. Why not spend this money on SARS?

Developer  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 15, 2003, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by angelmb:
A MS vicory?, yes, deserved?, not really, he only won because his pit crew did a better job that Ralf�s pit crew, and yet said, the inept of Ralf.
I'm sorry, but if Ralf is inept (and there's no doubt he is) and Michael is not, then yes, he deserved the vicotory? Who else do you think deserved it? Ralf is inept, Montoya spun, and R�ikk�nen messed up in qualifying.
Alonso made a good race, but if you're unable to overtake three "inept" guys in front of you, then you don't really deserve it either.
And Formula 1 is a team sports - driver, crew, constructor all have to work together. If Ferrari wins because the pit crew was better, then they deserve the victory.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Jun 15, 2003, 06:09 PM

I have always watched F1 races, I watched this race, and it was a good race for F1, any other day, I'd have enjoyed watching that. The trouble is, before watching the F1, I was watching the World Superbikes and Moto GP championships, waaaaay more interesting, exciting and great to watch. Overtaking, the lead changing from corner to corner, Rossi going off and getting back from 5th to 2nd in 3 laps, 200mph speeds. That's motorsport, go watch 2 wheels, not 4. Trust me.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2003, 07:58 PM

Actually a lot of the companies donate significant amounts to charities and sports events, etc. Much of that is public relations and tax writeoffs, but they do it. If they donated more, that be great, but a private company must draw the line somewhere.

ie. Why do you donate all your home theatre equipment and consoles to charity? That's worth several grand right there.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2003, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by Eug:

ie. Why do you donate all your home theatre equipment and consoles to charity? That's worth several grand right there.
Because since I already donate money and time I figure some personal items for myself would be alright.

If if I say 2 billion a year on a car race could be better spent I am not allowed to keep any money that I make or wear nice jeans?

Right

"Barwaraaawww"

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jun 15, 2003, 11:03 PM

Originally posted by I Bent My Wookiee:
Because since I already donate money and time I figure some personal items for myself would be alright.

If if I say 2 billion a year on a car race could be better spent I am not allowed to keep any money that I make or wear nice jeans?

Right
Many of Gap's ads cost several million each for instance. The latest with Madonna should be quite a nice sum too.

Nike spends way more than that for athletes to wear their shoes. And their market capitalization is 14 billion US. That's 70% as much as GM.

$20 from millions of people adds up.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 16, 2003, 01:54 AM

Alonso made a good race, but if you're unable to overtake three "inept" guys in front of you, then you don't really deserve it either.
How can Alonso overtake not only one but three drivers with a underpowered car in a circuit that is the second fastest circuit in the championship?, even MS must wait to overtake his inept brother on pits. And the inept is one.

How can you justify that Alonso sets the fastest lap?, skills. If Montoya did not overtake Alonso 'under yellow flags without penalization', he would be in the podium.

saj
Forum Regular
Jun 17, 2003, 01:06 AM

Lame ranting angelmb.......

What is wrong with...

- Ralf, this guy is pathetic, he did not try to overtake his brother even he (Ralf) had a faster car today.
Having a faster car is one thing, but passing a slower one is another!!!! As you yourself say Ralf is pathetic, it takes much more than straight line speed of Williams to pass Schumi.

- The MS aptitude after cross the finish line, 'oh, look ,this is my maiden F1 victory, I am so happy, take that jealous drivers. And I did it with my underpowered and unperformed car, plus the fierce opposition of my brother Ralf, he he, poor Sir Frank Williams...'
Rant again..... this shows the commitment of Schumi and his hunger to win. Just 'coz you've won 50 GPs doesn't mean that you stop celebrating!!!!

F1 is a team sport..... Just driving crazy like Villeneuve will not get you victory. Its a sport of strategies and Schumi and Ferrari deserve it more than you think Alonso does.

BTW, I do like Alonso. He's gonna be a force to reckon with in the coming days..... Watch out Schumi....
( Last edited by saj; Jun 17, 2003 at 01:11 AM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules