Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Kerry Camp Objects to Lights

Kerry Camp Objects to Lights
BlueSky
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 02:39 PM

Advisers for the Democratic presidential candidate demanded Thursday that the lights signaling when a speaker's time has expired during debates with President Bush be removed from the lecterns because they are distracting. The commission hosting the debates refused.
Link

I understand that the Kerry camp wants to replace the lights with a flip-flop version:
( Last edited by Bluesky; Sep 30, 2004 at 02:56 PM. )

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 02:41 PM

They shouldn't have ever agreed to the lights, since they're invariably going to go off more frequently for Kerry than Bush.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 30, 2004, 02:44 PM

I used to like camp.

The chick guides were mostly hot!

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 02:46 PM

I've seen this story several times now. It's funny because apparently Bush had a trillion details that his side demanded, like being far apart so people can't compare Kerry's height to Bush's, etc. etc., and yet one minor thing that Kerry wanted is making all the rounds. And actually, these lights were something that Bush wanted. Why isn't that the story, rather than Kerry saying he doesn't want them? Oh yeah, it's the massive Repub spin machine at work.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by BRussell:
I've seen this story several times now. It's funny because apparently Bush had a trillion details that his side demanded, like being far apart so people can't compare Kerry's height to Bush's, etc. etc., and yet one minor thing that Kerry wanted is making all the rounds. And actually, these lights were something that Bush wanted. Why isn't that the story, rather than Kerry saying he doesn't want them? Oh yeah, it's the massive Repub spin machine at work.
Actually, Bush is the president so he OUGHT to get what he wants. Simple. As for your "trillion details," don't tell us who's spinning.

As a matter of fact, I don't think bush even needs to debate and he doesn't have to anyway. If I was him, you're darn right it'd be done on my terms.

Maury
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by RAILhead:
Actually, Bush is the president so he OUGHT to get what he wants. Simple.
Yeah, and how dare the Democrats even put up a candidate for office! Those terrorist-loving bastards!

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 02:55 PM

What's the logic in that? The debates should be non-partisan and standard. What the candidates what should be irrelevant. That's why you have more than 1 debate, so you can have it in more than one type of setting/set-up.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 02:56 PM

You can't be serious. He's the president so he gets to dictate the details of the debates?

[edit] heh, I can see others had the same reaction to this absurd statement.

Atomic Rooster
Sep 30, 2004, 02:59 PM

Railhead was only joking.

I think!?

Surely he's not comparing Bush to Castro?

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Sep 30, 2004, 03:02 PM

You can't be serious. He's the president so he gets to dictate the details of the debates?
That rule only counts for Republican Presidents

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:14 PM

Settle down kids, settle down -- everyone's startin' to get a bit too knee-jerky!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by Wiskedjak:
That rule only counts for Republican Presidents
Yeah it's in the Constitution, look up the section re: treason.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 03:16 PM

Settle down kids, settle down -- everyone's startin' to get a bit too knee-jerky!
...so it was a joke?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:19 PM

Originally posted by Dakar:
...so it was a joke?
To an extent. I think the whole debate scenario is a joke anyway, so all of it is humorous.

Maury

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:20 PM

And actually, these lights were something that Bush wanted. Why isn't that the story, rather than Kerry saying he doesn't want them?
Because Kerry agreed to them. When an agreement is made, both sides are expected to honor the terms.

If you want to blame someone, blame Kerry for putting together a crappy negotiating team, just like he put together not one, not two, but three crappy campaign staffs. How about that story?

Here we have an agreement, less than 2 weeks old, that Kerry is aleady trying to violate.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by itai195:
They shouldn't have ever agreed to the lights, since they're invariably going to go off more frequently for Kerry than Bush.
Yet another reason why the man is unfit for command - he can't negotiate AND he can't abide by agreed-upon rules.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 03:24 PM

To an extent. I think the whole debate scenario is a joke anyway, so all of it is humorous.

Maury
Fair enough, but there are voters out there who feel it's an important part of their decision making process. I have to say I enjoy seeing what they have in a face-to-face uniform setting.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by spacefreak:
Because Kerry agreed to them. When an agreement is made, both sides are expected to honor the terms.

If you want to blame someone, blame Kerry for putting together a crappy negotiating team, just like he put together not one, not two, but three crappy campaign staffs. How about that story?

Here we have an agreement, less than 2 weeks old, that Kerry is aleady trying to violate.
In a spirit of bipartisanship, I'd like to point out that Kerry WAS, in fact, for the lights before he was against them. I guess he really *is* consistent like his followers say...

Maury

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:27 PM

Yet another reason why the man is unfit for command - he can't negotiate AND he can't abide by agreed-upon rules.
I swear spacefreak, you spin better than the OS X 10.0 beachball. I really am quite impressed at your abilities. I'm sure Kerry will stop talking when the light goes off, as he agreed to... the point is he should've never agreed to that rule. I would agree that his campaign made a dumb mistake there.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:27 PM

Fair enough, but there are voters out there who feel it's an important part of their decision making process. I have to say I enjoy seeing what they have in a face-to-face uniform setting.
I would too, but the "rules" BOTH agreed upon tremendously cripple any real interaction and actual debate, thus -- and I'm hope I'm wrong -- these "debates" will probably be nothing more than campaign speeches.

Maury

Atomic Rooster
Sep 30, 2004, 03:32 PM

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:34 PM

... the point is he should've never agreed to that rule. I would agree that his campaign made a dumb mistake there.
Well, that's your point, and a fair one at that. But realize that his campaign has made dumb mistakes regularly. I've often said that the US Presidential campaign is the ultimate proving ground for potential leaders, and with that in mind, Kerry just isn't strong enough as an organizational leader to be able to run our country effectively.

On the debate lights - my point is that since he agreed to it, he should honor it, and if he and his staff bitch about it now, they have nobody to blame but Kerry himself.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:38 PM

But realize that his campaign has made dumb mistakes regularly. I've often said that the US Presidential campaign is the ultimate proving ground for potential leaders, and with that in mind, Kerry just isn't strong enough as an organizational leader to be able to run our country effectively.
Fair enough.

BRussell
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:39 PM

I swear spacefreak, you spin better than the OS X 10.0 beachball. I really am quite impressed at your abilities. I'm sure Kerry will stop talking when the light goes off, as he agreed to... the point is he should've never agreed to that rule. I would agree that his campaign made a dumb mistake there.
From what the article says, they're not disagreeing over something that was in the agreement. They're disagreeing about the specific implementation being used:
Kerry's team contended that the agreement doesn't specifically say where the lights should be placed, and it said putting them on the lecterns creates a distraction. Devine said the agreement includes a picture of the lectern that doesn't include the lights.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:41 PM

I swear spacefreak, you spin better than the OS X 10.0 beachball.
That's a pretty good one!

I disagree, however, that I am spining. I don't doubt that my conservative values affect my take on things, but that's what values are for.

I really think the Dems chose the wrong candidate. Lieberman or Gephardt would have provided a stronger alternative to Bush, and even though Dean may have been a little too far left to compete, at least he was passionate and able to take firm stands on issues.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:43 PM

I really think the Dems chose the wrong candidate. Lieberman or Gephardt would have provided a stronger alternative to Bush, and even though Dean may have been a little too far left to compete, at least he was passionate and able to take firm stands on issues.
I wouldn't disagree with that either, as I've stated what my preference was. But I'd still take Kerry over Bush. The only Democrat I wouldn't take over Bush would probably have been Kucinich. I think Gephardt would've been a weaker candidate than Kerry, though. Lieberman would probably have cruised to victory in the general election.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:46 PM

From what the article says, they're not disagreeing over something that was in the agreement. They're disagreeing about the specific implementation being used:
Yup - more bitching and complaining from the left, with no alternate proposals in sight. No surprise there.

tie
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 03:47 PM

LOL. spacefreak has it right on.

Maury, you gotta learn to keep your straight face.

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 03:48 PM

I'm hope I'm wrong -- these "debates" will probably be nothing more than campaign speeches.
That actually doesn't bother me because, for once, I can get the word straight from the source, without worrying about it being edited, disseminated, taken out of context, etc.

As far as I'm concerned this is do or die for Kerry. He can score some major points tonight if he comes out on topic and his answers aren't convoluted.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:51 PM

I think Gephardt would've been a weaker candidate than Kerry, though. Lieberman would probably have cruised to victory in the general election.
Gephardt, however, has a long history of putting together strong and focused teams. That's a big plus.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:53 PM

As far as I'm concerned this is do or die for Kerry. He can score some major points tonight if he comes out on topic and his answers aren't convoluted.
Historically, debates don't really affect the elections more than a point or two. It would take a Bush meltdown to help Kerry in any significant way.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 03:58 PM

Originally posted by tie:
Maury, you gotta learn to keep your straight face.
You mean I can't pop-off with sarcastic comments or post fun pics like

or

Maury
(who still thinks his "poop" pic is hilarious)

Dakar
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2004, 04:03 PM

Historically, debates don't really affect the elections more than a point or two. It would take a Bush meltdown to help Kerry in any significant way.
Well that''s about all it should take in the swing states.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 04:08 PM

This is all distracting you from the REAL issue: when the light comes on it brings out Kerry's orange glow.

"I actually voted for the lights before I voted against them"
( Last edited by smacintush; Sep 30, 2004 at 04:22 PM. )
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:11 PM

True, but this year, the elections being as close as they are, the debates could affect the election enough to swing it.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 04:12 PM

Originally posted by smacintush:
This is all distracting you from the REAL issue: when the light comes on it brings out Kerry's orange glow.
Or maybe he's worried it would be detrimental to his ability to draw in the epileptic vote.

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:14 PM

You mean I can't pop-off with sarcastic comments or post fun pics like

Maury
(who still thinks his "poop" pic is hilarious)

Sure!

BlueSky  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:19 PM

Oh well, what's the point. Who cares who says or does what tonight. We elect personalities, not ideologies, talking points or political parties. As long as W keeps up the swagger, "plain speakin'" and simian grin, he's got it in the bag and will have his contract renewed for another 4 seasons. It's just like reality TV, except for the "reality" part.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Bluesky:
Oh well, what's the point. Who cares who says or does what tonight. We elect personalities, not ideologies, talking points or political parties. As long as W keeps up the swagger, "plain speakin'" and simian grin, he's got it in the bag and will have his contract renewed for another 4 seasons. It's just like reality TV, except for the "reality" part.
What a wonderful outlook you have regarding your country and the process therein. If it sucks so bad, why don't you start a grassroots effort and form a better party?

Maury

BoomStick
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2004, 04:29 PM

Kerry looks like a Jerk -O- Lantern.

I guess he's going agent orange for the nam vets.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 04:34 PM

Well, that's your point, and a fair one at that. But realize that his campaign has made dumb mistakes regularly. I've often said that the US Presidential campaign is the ultimate proving ground for potential leaders, and with that in mind, Kerry just isn't strong enough as an organizational leader to be able to run our country effectively.

We haven't had a good president in decades, and Bush got "elected," so obviously the presidential campaign is not the ultimate proving ground for potential leaders. It is a good proving ground for the ultimate liars.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

PacHead
Baninated
Sep 30, 2004, 04:38 PM

What stance is Kerry going to take on Iraq & WOT tonight ?

Is he going to be Mr. Peace Activist/war protestor, or is he going to be Mr. Macho/G.I. Joe ?

Either way, the debates will be pure entertainment.

BlueSky  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:38 PM

What a wonderful outlook you have regarding your country and the process therein. If it sucks so bad, why don't you start a grassroots effort and form a better party?
ooooo...Mr. Social Conscience himself speaks out! I like that face. It sort of makes you seem...sincere. Sort of.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 04:41 PM

ooooo...Mr. Social Conscience himself speaks out! I like that face. It sort of makes you seem...sincere. Sort of.
You're knickers sure do wad up fast, mien kapitan.

Maury

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
What stance is Kerry going to take on Iraq & WOT tonight ?

Is he going to be Mr. Peace Activist/war protestor, or is he going to be Mr. Macho/G.I. Joe ?

Either way, the debates will be pure entertainment.
I'll sure be laughing if they ask Bush to talk about tribal sovereignty.

BlueSky  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:52 PM

Originally posted by zachs:
I'll sure be laughing if they ask Bush to talk about tribal sovereignty.
I thought it was "sovereigninity".

zachs
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 04:59 PM

I thought it was "sovereigninity".
Whoops.

Gee-Man
Senior User
Sep 30, 2004, 05:03 PM

Yup - more bitching and complaining from the left, with no alternate proposals in sight. No surprise there.
Who is this guy "The Left" I keep hearing about? Does he have a blog somewhere I can read? A lot of people here like to argue directly with him, he seems to get around a lot.

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2004, 05:05 PM

"The left" is a single-minded collective, like "the borg" so addressing them as the left is proper.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Silky Voice of The Gorn
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2004, 05:10 PM

The RNC is brilliant. Really. They've reduced the campaign to single word memes like "flip-flopper", "waffle" and now "lights", that their supports can easily parrot back like lemmings.

Meanwhile, the Dems are always on the defensive, which forces long-winded responses, the likes of which do not lend themselves to easy sound-bites that the drooling masses can digest.

I'm quite literally in awe of the Republicans, they run a campaign that's a wonder to behold. I fully expect the "debate" to go like this, and for Bush to easily win in November.

Forum Links
Forum Rules