Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Print Server/Router (Wireless?) Set up Classroom

Print Server/Router (Wireless?) Set up Classroom
latrapeze
Nov 16, 2004, 06:30 PM

My wife is a teacher and would like to make her classroom into a small wireless network. My question is this:
Could she buy a wireless print server and connect the printer into the parallel port, the school network (ethernet) into the upload port and the existing desktop computer into one of the ethernet ports?
Please let me know if this is a good configuration for her or if there is a more efficient way of setting things up.
She plans to use her laptop and some of the students laptops off the network in her room.
Thanks.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 08:15 PM

What kind of printer and how would she intend to set this printer up?

larkost
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2004, 08:52 PM

Your question is a little unclear, so you might want to restate it... But I am going to make some assumptions.

You were asking about a wireless print server, but you seem to be wanting to use it as a wired print server... those do exist. If it is really a wireless print server you are looking for, you will have to clear it with the network guys, for security reasons. In general it would be a good idea to talk with them to make sure they are happy... trust me, angry network engineers are not a pretty sight (not that them happy is necessarily a pretty sight... think plumbers, but geekier...).

More details would be helpful.

Forum Links
Forum Rules