Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > TIger iChat 3.0 snapshots?

TIger iChat 3.0 snapshots?
Matt OS X
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 01:27 PM

I'm dying to see a snapshot of 3 way isight on ichat 3.0. I'm tired of stuck with Tiger's ichat preview on apple's site.

any snapshots? or anything related with ichat 3.0.....

Anyone??

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 02:59 PM

So you are tired of viewing the snapshot provided by Apple; however, you'd rather see a snapshot of the same variety only different people chatting?

pat++
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
So you are tired of viewing the snapshot provided by Apple; however, you'd rather see a snapshot of the same variety only different people chatting?

I think he problably means that the screenshots on Apple's web site are not real.... they are just photoshoped screens for marketing... they are not actual screenshots.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by pat++:
I think he problably means that the screenshots on Apple's web site are not real.... they are just photoshoped screens for marketing... they are not actual screenshots.
Yes, thank you. So.... Got a pic?

"Unfortunately, no one can be told what Mac OS X is... you must see it for yourself."

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 06:34 PM

Originally posted by Matt OS X:
Yes, thank you. So.... Got a pic?
No, it's not even functional (the 3-way video chat feature at least) in the latest developer released builds.

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by manofsteal:
No, it's not even functional (the 3-way video chat feature at least) in the latest developer released builds.
if this doesn't exist yet, at least post a picture of ichat or something?
Thanks

cpac
Professional Poster
Nov 30, 2004, 09:14 PM

Thanks
why?
what is it you're hoping to see?
cpac

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 30, 2004, 09:40 PM

Thanks
Try AppleInsider. Most pictures are probably gone by now though...

zachs
Mac Elite
Nov 30, 2004, 11:57 PM

Here ya go:

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 1, 2004, 12:22 AM

Wow...

Awesome..

One question: What does "Jabber" do? I'm not sure what it really means, I'm sorry if it's a stupid question to you.

Thanks!!

nbnz
Senior User
Dec 1, 2004, 01:55 AM

Wow...

Awesome..

One question: What does "Jabber" do? I'm not sure what it really means, I'm sorry if it's a stupid question to you.

Thanks!!
Jabber
My company uses Jabber for IM, so I'm looking foward to the support in iChat.
iMac, Intel Core-Duo 2GHz, 2GB, 250GB, OS X 10.4
PowerBook 12", 867MHz, 640MB, 60GB, OS X 10.4
iMac G3, 333MHz, 288MB, 6GB, OS X 10.3
iPods: 3G iPod, 1G mini, 1G shuffle, 2G nano

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 1, 2004, 08:46 AM

argh! can't wait to get get my hands on this!

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by nooon:
argh! can't wait to get get my hands on this!
Me too! Cant' wait to taste the new iChat 3.0 especially 4 way video chat!

Anyone got more nifty pics of ichat 3.0 or whatever?

Thanks

LightWaver-67
Senior User
Dec 2, 2004, 07:20 AM

On the subject of the upcoming release of iChat, and the ability to 3-way (or more ?) video chat...

As you add incoming video streams to interact with... what takes the biggest hits in performance...? I only ask because my (now aging) G4-533Mhz Power Mac does fine w/ single stream via my iSight. I am using Verizon DSL. But if I upgrade and try a 3 or 4-way vid conf... what areas will restrict my ability to use this feature...?

- Internet bandwidth...? If so... even a new G5 wouldn't help me.
- Processor...? Is my processor speed going to be important for decoding the stream(s)...?
- GrfxCard performance...? With those nifty, new perspective screens, will my grfx card bog-down or are those effects no more taxing than expos� is...?
- System bus speed...? Memory speed...?

I guess I'm just trying to find out (like most people) if I'm going to be able to at least USE this feature, albeit slow... or if I'll be just fine with the current hardware.

Thanks, in advance.

goose
Forum Regular
Dec 2, 2004, 06:59 PM

Wow, buddy groups (not the way it's currently implemented). Okay, I can't wait for this version of iChat now.........

There's never enough when you have too little

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Dec 2, 2004, 07:23 PM

Anyone got more nifty pics of ichat 3.0 or whatever?

Thanks
Nifty? Well this picture's pretty nifty:

Thanks
You're welcome.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

himself
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 04:14 AM

Didn't Steve Jobs do a three way chat when he demoed Tiger in his WWDC keynote address? I don't know if the video is still up on Apple's site...
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

Matt OS X  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 3, 2004, 11:59 AM

Originally posted by himself:
Didn't Steve Jobs do a three way chat when he demoed Tiger in his WWDC keynote address? I don't know if the video is still up on Apple's site...
It's not there anymore..

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 3, 2004, 05:43 PM

It's not there anymore..
Sure it is: http://www.apple.com/quicktime/whatson/appleevents/ look there Is that not what you're asking for ?
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 4, 2004, 11:29 PM

I read a rumor that iChat in Tiger is suppose to have tabbed chatting like Adium. Does anyone know if this true?
i hate project managers.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2004, 12:12 PM

I'm sorry, but for a 3.0 app, iChat is simply awful. With adium and proteus out there, I just can't understand why anyone would use iChat for anything other than video chat.

drainyoo
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 12:21 PM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
I'm sorry, but for a 3.0 app, iChat is simply awful. With adium and proteus out there, I just can't understand why anyone would use iChat for anything other than video chat.
Whats so awful about it?
i hate project managers.

wtmcgee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2004, 01:40 PM

it's interface is too big (lack of tabs in the chat window is huge if you have a small screen), the options are very simplistic & lack customization options.

Again, it's video/audio chat options are outstanding, but other than that I find it very simple and useless.

Visnaut
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 06:38 PM

I agree. But it's an iApp. It's simplistic and uncustomizable by its very nature. It's not bad though, and has certainly fostered a lot of innovation. It's still the simplest way to audio/video chat out there. And I'm quite fond of the chat bubbles.

I only use it for chatting with two contacts of mine, and I toggle between MSN and Adium for all of my other chatting.

It's a good thing there's a lot of choice in terms of alternative chat clients on Mac OS X, as the official clients are always lacking in certain respects. Adium has made a lot of strides recently, and I wouldn't be surprised if I could completely replace the official MSN client by the time the next version comes out. Unless Microsoft's working on a surprise, but I highly doubt that.

monkeybrain
Mac Elite
Dec 5, 2004, 08:45 PM

Originally posted by Visnaut:
Adium has made a lot of strides recently, and I wouldn't be surprised if I could completely replace the official MSN client by the time the next version comes out. Unless Microsoft's working on a surprise, but I highly doubt that.
What feature does the current Mac MSN messenger have that Adium can't do? Of course, they're both so far behind the Window's version it's ridiculous (talking video, audio etc). Damn microsoft.

But I agree the iChat seems very basic, and those bubbles - dear god - and the other view is pretty damn ugly. Why don't Apple stick in a webkit view like Adium? It's the bee's knees.

Visnaut
Senior User
Dec 5, 2004, 10:37 PM

Originally posted by monkeybrain:
What feature does the current Mac MSN messenger have that Adium can't do?
The one thing that's keeping me is support for all of MSN's statuses. The only ones Adium displays are the ones AIM uses, so on MSN, anyone who's set to busy/on the phone/away, etc. are just displayed as "Away" and there are issues with how "Idle" is handled. And of course, no "Invisible" setting. Things I'm just used to with MSN, and that are already supported by gaim. The Adium team has already stated the status system is being re-written for 0.8, so once that's working I'll drop the official client like a rock.

An easier way to change your MSN display name other than thru the prefs would be welcome, but certainly not something that will hold me back.

Of course, they're both so far behind the Window's version it's ridiculous (talking video, audio etc). Damn microsoft.
Indeed

But the fact that Adium already supports file transfers and MSN6 avatar pictures seamlessly is a huge step forward. And there are already some open-source efforts underway to try to close the audio/video gap, and once those are in some stage of working, I'm sure there will be Mac developers eager to port it over.

But I agree the iChat seems very basic, and those bubbles - dear god - and the other view is pretty damn ugly. Why don't Apple stick in a webkit view like Adium? It's the bee's knees.
Probably the same reason they don't make it easy for people to skin the UI. They want to keep their image consistent, especially for the iApps.

goose
Forum Regular
Dec 6, 2004, 04:54 PM

Originally posted by wtmcgee:
it's interface is too big (lack of tabs in the chat window is huge if you have a small screen), the options are very simplistic & lack customization options.

Again, it's video/audio chat options are outstanding, but other than that I find it very simple and useless.
I think tabs were mentioned as possibly one of the new features to make it into version 3.0. I do agree about the interface. They should've just made it like the AIM client or something. Not too fond of the "time-stamping" either. I prefer how the AIM client puts the actual time a message was sent on each line....

There's never enough when you have too little

nooon
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2004, 09:41 AM

What feature does the current Mac MSN messenger have that Adium can't do?
Originally posted by Visnaut:
But the fact that Adium already supports file transfers and MSN6 avatar pictures seamlessly is a huge step forward.
The only reason I still keep the official MSN-client lying around on my HD is because of the file transfers. My Adium is simply not capable of transferring files yet. It's WAY slower than the official client, and there's no feedback on how the transfer is going.
File transfer GUI is a feature coming up in Adium 0.8, though - and if they fix the speed-issue as well, the official client will be trashed like a week-old sandwich.

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Dec 7, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by nooon:
The only reason I still keep the official MSN-client lying around on my HD is because of the file transfers. My Adium is simply not capable of transferring files yet. It's WAY slower than the official client, and there's no feedback on how the transfer is going.
File transfer GUI is a feature coming up in Adium 0.8, though - and if they fix the speed-issue as well, the official client will be trashed like a week-old sandwich.
There hasn't been much, if any, work on the underlying file transfer code. It's basically in the hands of the gaim people, and I'm not sure they're looking into it much. However, the file transfer UI is definitely coming

Forum Links
Forum Rules