Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Hugo Boss or tailor made?

Hugo Boss or tailor made? (Page 3)
Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 01:50 AM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
A suit for me means extra effort, go the extra mile to show an occasion is special, it's a sign of appreciation.
See, this is what I find kind of "weird". I can't see myself as "going the extra mile" in terms of dressing. For me, a sign of "appreciation" is always something stylish and extremely "hip" (for the lack of a better term). I can imagine the suit, as we know it today, was something like this at a point in time in the past, but (for me at least) it has ceased to be that. Worse,- it has become a cliché.

I'm not trying to be disrespectful by not wearing a suit, I'm just trying to convey something even more "appropriate" and contemporary - to dress as sharp and fashionable as possible, without looking thoughtless (which, IMO, so many people, who simply wear a suite because "it's the thing to do" at a "special occasion", do)

Yes, that's why I added `adequate'.
I understand. I just don't see why a "suit" should be objectively adequate for a dinner, funeral or a wedding, other than being a convention/cliché.

If it was accepted custom to wear a diving-suit to a funeral, and it was an accepted cultural cliché that people look exceptionally sharp in one, would you still wear a suit, even if some found it to be highly "inappropriate"?

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage?

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 9, 2005, 02:14 AM

You just don't get it. Do you own a tie even? Does it clip-on?

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by Randman
You just don't get it. Do you own a tie even? Does it clip-on?
LOL. What is it I don't get?

And yes, I own several ties (well, only 4 actually). I really don't like wearing them. And no, they don't "clip on".

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 05:39 AM

ok, tailormade

2 piece or 3 piece?
{Animated sigs are not allowed.}

Railroader
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 06:02 AM

Tailormade. Name brand suits are for wannbes.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by PB2K
ok, tailormade

2 piece or 3 piece?
THAT is a personality decision. Myself, 2 piece. I am not a vest guy.

OreoCookie
Nov 9, 2005, 06:24 AM

I also prefer 2 piece suits. Now, next question: two or three buttons
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Nov 9, 2005, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Warung
See, this is what I find kind of "weird". I can't see myself as "going the extra mile" in terms of dressing. For me, a sign of "appreciation" is always something stylish and extremely "hip" (for the lack of a better term). I can imagine the suit, as we know it today, was something like this at a point in time in the past, but (for me at least) it has ceased to be that. Worse,- it has become a cliché.
Then we have simply different standards.
I'm not trying to be disrespectful by not wearing a suit, I'm just trying to convey something even more "appropriate" and contemporary - to dress as sharp and fashionable as possible, without looking thoughtless (which, IMO, so many people, who simply wear a suite because "it's the thing to do" at a "special occasion", do)
Good thing you put appropriate in quotation marks. The thing is you might be disrespectful by not wearing a suit and wearing regular street clothes. Whether or not you want to do that at a wedding (of someone you know and like I presume) is entirely your decision.

I also think you misuse the word cliché here. A cliché is a very different notion than convention. A cliché needn't be true whereas a convention is; a cliché has the connotation of something that is erroneously mistaken to be a custom. A quick check at a funeral/wedding should obliterate any doubts that wearing a suit there is indeed customary and not a cliché.
I understand. I just don't see why a "suit" should be objectively adequate for a dinner, funeral or a wedding, other than being a convention/cliché.

If it was accepted custom to wear a diving-suit to a funeral, and it was an accepted cultural cliché that people look exceptionally sharp in one, would you still wear a suit, even if some found it to be highly "inappropriate"?
If it was accepted custom, I wouldn't offend people by wearing one at a funeral. I would wear what is considered appropriate as a gesture of respect towards the dead.

Although I must say, I don't look good in diving suits.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 06:37 AM

Then we have simply different standards.
Most people have different standards than warung.

Railroader
Banned
Nov 9, 2005, 06:38 AM

I also prefer 2 piece suits. Now, next question: two or three buttons
Two for me.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 07:02 AM

Good thing you put appropriate in quotation marks. The thing is you might be disrespectful by not wearing a suit and wearing regular street clothes.
I think this is where you might be wrong. Street clothes != street clothes, just like a suit !=a suit. I have seen so many gawd aweful suits in my life that I sometimes wonder how people can not realize that they might as well be wearing a potatosack and a pair of rubber boots.

And as a rule of thumb, if somebody can't respect my whish to wear whatever I deem most appropriate, stylish, good looking and yes, comfortable, - I don't think they deserve my respect either. (You might wanna note, that this has never happened before)

I also think you misuse the word cliché here. A cliché is a very different notion than convention. A cliché needn't be true whereas a convention is...
I also have to disagree here. A cliché is a convention, which is outdated, and thus fails to address the points which the convention was intended for.

From Wikipedia: "By extension, "cliché" applies also to almost any situations, subjects, characterisations, or objects that have similarly become overly familiar or commonplace. Their meanings may also be misunderstood leading to them being often misused. As a result, many feel that they should not be used and are seen as an indicator of lack of creativity, innovation, or sincerity."
If it was accepted custom, I wouldn't offend people by wearing one at a funeral. I would wear what is considered appropriate as a gesture of respect towards the dead.
I have asked several people the question, as to what I should wear to their funeral (this actually sounds quite harsh out of context, but I asked since I have had converstaions similar to the one here before), - guess what they all said (without exception)?
Yes, - "...wear whatever is most comfortable for you...whatever you personally think looks best".
( Last edited by Warung; Nov 9, 2005 at 07:36 AM. )

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 07:47 AM

3 buttons ! i dont like those slabby jackets.

ok, tailormade
3 piece suit (to make it complete)
3 buttons
what color?
the pants...folded?

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2005, 08:10 AM

Tailor made, three buttons, single breasted, small collar. No vest.

jebjeb
Senior User
Nov 9, 2005, 08:11 AM

Some funny stuff here. If someone wants a suit, fine. If someone doesn't like suits, fine as well. Lets not try and get people to conform to any opinion. We can each do what we want surely.

On topic:

Very Important - get two (or more even) pairs of trousers. I just had two pairs of trousers (from different suits) go on me; inner thighs wore through - not a big bloke but walk a couple of miles to work every day so they get a bit of use. Now I have two £200 jackets that have no trousers and they do not sell that material anymore.

Just bought a new suit and obviously ensured I got two pairs of trousers. Now I should get more life out of the suit.

Obviously you are now going tailored which is a good choice. My next suits will be tailored. I am not in to branded clothes at all. As long as it looks good and is decent quality then I'm fine.

It all depends on your build. I'm 6'1 and weigh 80 kg. I have found that a two button looks better on me. I also go the "bum-flap" option (with two splits at the rear on the sides) rather than the central split in the rear. Makes the jacket fall better.

If this is to be your only suit I would stay away from any strange colours as well as pin-stripes. I think a nice charcoal coloured suit in a smooth fabric is pretty timeless. Black can sometimes look a bit cheap plus it shows up and fluff and marks. You can wear any colour shirt with a Charcoal suit as well.

I wish I had a bigger arsenal of suits so I could get some weird and wonderful ones. I have see a navy suit with some pretty cool purple pin stripes though it which is cool. I tend to stay away from pin stripes as I wear some fairly wild and bright shirts, many that are stripy. However, my new suit is navy with a very light, dotted stripe to it which is quite nice. I only got that as I have a charcoal, and a black suit to "back" it up.

Go and try on some suits and get a feel for what cut you like. I wear my jackets a little slim around the torso as I generally don't button it up. However, it doesn't pull around the shoulders of under the arms if I do button it. By wearing a slightly slimmer suit, it looks much better when it is not buttoned up.

Good luck!

EDIT - Definitely single breasted. You can always get a three piece, as you don't have to wear the vest all the time. Upt o you. Generally, three piece suits are three buttons though I think (?).

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 9, 2005, 08:14 AM

The thing is you might be disrespectful by not wearing a suit and wearing regular street clothes. Whether or not you want to do that at a wedding (of someone you know and like I presume) is entirely your decision.
Indeed, and it's the reason I owned a suit. Not so much because I like them, but out of respect.
I also think you misuse the word cliché here. A cliché is a very different notion than convention. A cliché needn't be true whereas a convention is; a cliché has the connotation of something that is erroneously mistaken to be a custom. A quick check at a funeral/wedding should obliterate any doubts that wearing a suit there is indeed customary and not a cliché.
Nail on the head.
Me and Oreo agree. Mark it down.

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 08:55 AM

hey thanks for the charcoal suggestion

jebjeb
Senior User
Nov 9, 2005, 09:10 AM

hey thanks for the charcoal suggestion
No problems, mate. Another benefit, depending on your colouring, is that it doesn't make one look so pale compared to black. Helpful here where I don't have my Aussie tan but rather a Pommie tan (white as a ghost!)

OreoCookie
Nov 9, 2005, 09:12 AM

I think this is where you might be wrong. Street clothes != street clothes, just like a suit !=a suit. I have seen so many gawd aweful suits in my life that I sometimes wonder how people can not realize that they might as well be wearing a potatosack and a pair of rubber boots.
I know. But I'm in a building full of computer scientists. And for the record, the average physicist is not that much better (just different). I wear a good shirt, good pants every day. At least compared to the outfit you are describing.
And as a rule of thumb, if somebody can't respect my whish to wear whatever I deem most appropriate, stylish, good looking and yes, comfortable, - I don't think they deserve my respect either. (You might wanna note, that this has never happened before)
You mistook the direction of the respect. It's not the other person showing respect to you, but you paying respect to the other person.
I also have to disagree here. A cliché is a convention, which is outdated, and thus fails to address the points which the convention was intended for.
A cliché is a broader concept than that. But even in your narrow definition, wearing suits on weddings and funerals is not a cliché as it is clearly not outdated. As I said, just take a look at weddings nowadays or funerals for that matter. Whether you think it is outdated is another question. But just because you disagree with a convention doesn't make it either outdated or a cliché.
I have asked several people the question, as to what I should wear to their funeral (this actually sounds quite harsh out of context, but I asked since I have had converstaions similar to the one here before), - guess what they all said (without exception)?
Yes, - "...wear whatever is most comfortable for you...whatever you personally think looks best".
Just because they say, they don't mind you wearing whatever you want to wear for their funeral (a T-Shirt if it's warm or whatever) doesn't mean it's customary to do so.

OreoCookie
Nov 9, 2005, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
Me and Oreo agree. Mark it down.
If it happens once, it's an accident, if it happens twice, it's a habit. Better not make that a habit
</cynism>

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2005, 10:31 AM

Why? Do they have razor-sharp teeth or special powers I don't know about?
It's just the area. When some people find out they're "together", those people get nervous. (Oh no, they're gay, run for your lives! )

On topic: 3 button, definitely.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2005, 10:58 AM

And for the record, the average physicist is not that much better (just different).
Better at what?

I wear a good shirt, good pants every day. At least compared to the outfit you are describing.
Which outfit? What's your definition of the word "good" in terms of clothing?

It's not the other person showing respect to you, but you paying respect to the other person.
LOL. No, respect is always something mutual. And you don't show "respect" to a person by wearing a suit. Please.

But even in your narrow definition, wearing suits on weddings and funerals is not a cliché as it is clearly not outdated.
Not as far as I'm concerned. But that's okay. Some people always have to take the first step. How much do you want to bet, that in 20 years, nobody will be wearing suits at these types of occasions anymore.

Oh, and it was the definition given by "Wikipedia", - not me.

Just because they say, they don't mind you wearing whatever you want to wear for their funeral (a T-Shirt if it's warm or whatever) doesn't mean it's customary to do so.
Did I say it was customary. Hello? I would rather respect their wishes, than do something "customary".

BTW, I'm not trying to convince anybody here of anything, - just having a conversation....throwing out some ideas.

anim8ing
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 9, 2005, 11:14 AM

3 buttons ! i dont like those slabby jackets.

ok, tailormade
3 piece suit (to make it complete)
3 buttons
what color?
the pants...folded?

folded as in cuffed? I think that went out of style for suits a couple years ago, but i think it looks more classy than just straight leg w/o 'em. Oh, and I'm tall so 3 buttons for me, hold the vest. Color: Black, as you can pull off a lot more combos with it than you can with say a tan or navy one.

OreoCookie
Nov 9, 2005, 01:41 PM

Better at what?
Better at dressing. Which I think they are, but not by much (certainly not enough to brag about it). Computer Science people have a tendency to `try to look different', but in the end many of them still look alike. Fortunately this long hair, long black leather coat fad, beard fad seems to have passed. Physicists are more careless, they literally don't care. They also don't care what other people wear.

Personally, I have spent some time thinking about it and usually choose classical outfits. I don't have to think about it. Neatly ironed. But I don't think in trends, I buy what I like, nothing more nothing less.
Which outfit? What's your definition of the word "good" in terms of clothing?
This one (taken from page 2):
For a wedding I might wear a pair of Koils, a Hugo or Brad Stallion Shirt, Jeans or a pair of "dressy type" pants. Also depending on the time of the year.

To the last social event I wore a pair of camo pants, Chucks and a really, really nice Cinque shirt. In the summer I'd wear a nice T-Shirt too though.
So you said this is what you wear when you dress up (your `good/special' clothes) and I'm saying that I pretty much dress like this every day. Hence for me that wouldn't be `dressing up'.
LOL. No, respect is always something mutual. And you don't show "respect" to a person by wearing a suit. Please.
Sure it is mutual. And sure you show respect to a person by dressing up. What you consider dressing up is pretty much regular clothes to me. And to appear in (from my perspective) regular clothes to a festive occasion is disrespectful, yes. If that means wearing a suit, it does show respect.
Not as far as I'm concerned. But that's okay. Some people always have to take the first step. How much do you want to bet, that in 20 years, nobody will be wearing suits at these types of occasions anymore.
The concept of dressing up won't change. If the `suit' of the future will look different, I don't really know, but I doubt it'll be a reinvention of the wheel (rather a reinterpretation of what we have now). You could get a more extravagant model (e. g. by a Japanese designer or so). It's too deeply ingrained. You go to a party, you dress up, but differently. You go on a date, you dress up. You go to a classical concert you dress up.
Oh, and it was the definition given by "Wikipedia", - not me.
I'm not so big on dictionary definitions. Also, the definition didn't contradict anything I've said.
Did I say it was customary. Hello? I would rather respect their wishes, than do something "customary".
No, you asked what you were supposed to wear and they pretty much gave you a free hand. You could still decide to show up in a suit.

Just a quick question: what did you study? (No offense intended.)

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 04:51 AM

So you said this is what you wear when you dress up (your `good/special' clothes) and I'm saying that I pretty much dress like this every day. Hence for me that wouldn't be `dressing up'.
No, this is what I replied, when I was asked what I might wear to a social event, wedding or a funeral. I don't believe the concept of "dressing up" was implied here. I also dress like that every day (in variations, of course).

What you consider dressing up is pretty much regular clothes to me.
O RLY? Then I assure you, you're a well dressed man.

And to appear in (from my perspective) regular clothes to a festive occasion is disrespectful, yes.
And sorry, I totally disagree with you here. When your regular attire looks sharp, there is nothing "disrespectful" about wearing it to any "special occasion" UNLESS specifically requested otherwise.

(This might not be the accepted, and the general way of thinking about things, - I'm not claiming it is. It's just that I personally see things differently).

Some people might find it disrespectful, if you don't bow down to them and kiss their a55 when you meet them. Guess what? They can blow me.

It's too deeply ingrained. You go to a party, you dress up, but differently. You go on a date, you dress up. You go to a classical concert you dress up...
Conversely...you go to a supermarket, and "dress up". You go to your parents house, you dress up...just differently. And no, dressing up in a "suit" isn't that deeply ingrained. Like I said, in my opinion it has become a cliché. There is nothing objectively good looking, sharp, or "dressy" about a suit, other than being a convention. That's the point I'm trying to make here.

I'm not so big on dictionary definitions. Also, the definition didn't contradict anything I've said.
Sorry, but I'll have to disagree again.

You said:

"a cliché has the connotation of something that is erroneously mistaken to be a custom."

There is nothing to be "mistaken" about it. A custom is something that over time becomes a cliché, and thus loses it's "novelty, sincerity etc."

No, you asked what you were supposed to wear and they pretty much gave you a free hand. You could still decide to show up in a suit.
Yeah sure...

Just a quick question: what did you study? (No offense intended.)
Do you mean in college? I studied Art and Filmmaking and have a degree in Filmstudies. Why?

I've been interested in fashion though for at least 20 years now (if that has anything to do with your question).

smacintush
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 05:01 AM

Suits are fantastic. There is no better feeling than putting on clothes that make you look like another clone.
Being in debt and celebrating a lower deficit is like being on a diet and celebrating the fact you gained two pounds this week instead of five.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush
Suits are fantastic. There is no better feeling than putting on clothes that make you look like another clone.
You mean opposed to all the people wearing blue jeans and polo shirts? Or dockers and a button-down?

Besides, if you look like a clone in a suit, you need to have one tailor-made.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

jebjeb
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 06:04 AM

You mean opposed to all the people wearing blue jeans and polo shirts? Or dockers and a button-down?

Plus there are huge numbers of shirts one can wear with a suit.

I love how people like to associate a certain style of dress to a way of thinking or acting.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by jebjeb
I love how people like to associate a certain style of dress to a way of thinking or acting.
Yeah, because we all know they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 06:12 AM

...and look like a tailor-made clone.

/jk

jebjeb
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 06:33 AM

Yeah, because we all know they have absolutely nothing to do with each other.
I don't know much about you except for what you wear now. Do you think that I should now build a picture of how you act and carry yourself at work and in your personal life because of that?

I wear a suit because it helps we to seperate my work life and my home life as well as it helps to project an air of professionalism and any help is a good thing . If someone doesn't wear a suit but is at least wearing neat and clean clothes then I have no problems. Personal choices.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 06:59 AM

I don't know much about you except for what you wear now. Do you think that I should now build a picture of how you act and carry yourself at work and in your personal life because of that?
Dude, I never go to work naked.

Oh, wait, - probably more than you needed to know.

/I sometimes dream about being a porn star though. Wooooo

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 10, 2005, 06:59 AM

I studied Art and Filmmaking and have a degree in Filmstudies. Why?
Why, exactly. You wasted your time spending years in college watching movies.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by RonnieoftheRose
Why, exactly. You wasted your time.
Why (did you have to edit your post 3 times)?

jebjeb
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 07:05 AM

Dude, I never go to work naked.

Oh, wait, - probably more than you needed to know.

/I sometimes dream about being a porn star though. Wooooo
Yeah, I thought that the "now" there needed to be qualified!

To be honest, I probably would form an opinion of you if all I knew of you was that you went naked to work. Of course, as you have pointed out, unless you were a pron star. Lets just hope you were "pointing" with your hand...

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 07:06 AM

Why, exactly. You wasted your time spending years in college watching movies.
Instead of spending all that time flaming people on an internets forum for their choice of studies.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 07:09 AM

Lets just hope you were "pointing" with your hand...

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 10, 2005, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by smacintush
You mean like these fashion clones who call think they're individuals?...

White Hope rapper look

I'm so alternative nobody is like me look

We rock the rebel youth for fat corporate contracts look

The rebel teenager who wants to look like a rebel teenager look

I'm a rich crook making all black youth act stupid look

I'm a lumberjack who dreams of cross dressing look

I'll take my self designed tailor made suit. I know there aren't many people going around wearing my suit because I have the only one.

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 10, 2005, 07:13 AM

Instead of spending all that time flaming people on an internets forum for their choice of studies.
All that time? Sure, I just wasted five of the most important minutes of your life

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 07:16 AM

I'll take my self designed tailor made suit. I know there aren't many people going around wearing my suit because I have the only one.

And what an absolutely charming suit that is too.

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 10, 2005, 07:18 AM

Whoa, your mother found my suit! :nowthatisabigstick:

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 07:19 AM

All that time? Sure, I just wasted five of the most important minutes of your life
Yes, now please stop wasting any more of my time, and return to browsing the NAMBLA forum.

RonnieoftheRose
Nov 10, 2005, 07:22 AM

Yes, now please stop wasting any more of my time, and return to browsing the NAMBLA forum.
Could you please explain what NAMBLA is for us lot who don't know what else you waste your time on

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 07:22 AM

Whoa, your mother found my suit! :nowthatisabigstick:
Wow. A "Yo Mama" joke. Your sense of humor seems to match your sense of "style". They're both out-dated.

Warung
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 07:27 AM

Could you please explain what NAMBLA is for us lot...
Why don't you do that. Judging from your posts you seem to be more than qualified to.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 08:46 AM

I've noticed Rand, some people look like clones, and some people simple look good in a suit.

I think the clones are the ones that are bad mouthing it.

I mean take a look at Bill Gates. Doesn't matter how much he pays for said suit. He is going to look like a turtle in it.

Kevin
Baninated
Nov 10, 2005, 08:47 AM

Why (did you have to edit your post 3 times)?
Probably the same reason you felt the need to post this.

acadian
Senior User
Nov 10, 2005, 09:14 AM

Why don't you do that. Judging from your posts you seem to be more than qualified to.

Careful now children, this sort f behaviour is likely to get this thread Tookinated...he has been on the prowl lately...
people ruin everything....

OreoCookie
Nov 10, 2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
It's just the area. When some people find out they're "together", those people get nervous. (Oh no, they're gay, run for your lives! )
My father used to manage a women hockey team, so lesbians don't scare me. Well, unless they start a fight on the ice (which has nothing to do with a bitch fight anymore ...)

PB2K  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 10, 2005, 09:28 AM

hello moderator, what do lesbians have to do with Hugo Boss or Taiilormade suits?

OreoCookie
Nov 10, 2005, 09:37 AM

No, this is what I replied, when I was asked what I might wear to a social event, wedding or a funeral. I don't believe the concept of "dressing up" was implied here. I also dress like that every day (in variations, of course).
Oh, ok, I see. Well, the truth is, I do.
And sorry, I totally disagree with you here. When your regular attire looks sharp, there is nothing "disrespectful" about wearing it to any "special occasion" UNLESS specifically requested otherwise.

(This might not be the accepted, and the general way of thinking about things, - I'm not claiming it is. It's just that I personally see things differently).

Some people might find it disrespectful, if you don't bow down to them and kiss their a55 when you meet them. Guess what? They can blow me.
No, you think in negatives here. I think in positives. Many people will appreciate it if you make an effort for them, even if they don't mind when you show up in regular closthes.
Conversely...you go to a supermarket, and "dress up". You go to your parents house, you dress up...just differently. And no, dressing up in a "suit" isn't that deeply ingrained. Like I said, in my opinion it has become a cliché. There is nothing objectively good looking, sharp, or "dressy" about a suit, other than being a convention. That's the point I'm trying to make here.
Sorry, but I'll have to disagree again.

You said:

"a cliché has the connotation of something that is erroneously mistaken to be a custom."

There is nothing to be "mistaken" about it. A custom is something that over time becomes a cliché, and thus loses it's "novelty, sincerity etc."
In that context it is correct, but the quote is now out of context. That's why quoting dictionary definitions is useless as they are much broader than the word used in a specific context. You said wearing suits to certain social events is a cliche.

Anyway.

Why does a custom lose its sincerity with time? Customs like giving birthday presents or so are old, but I don't see why their sincerity fades with time. This is by no means true. Birthday presents are not a cliche, its a custom. Bringing a boquet of flowers to a date with your girlfriends is a custom, but I do it sometimes as well.

I think you mistake manners which do not necessarily imply sincerity with gestures that come from the heart. And I think most customs and gestures to show appreciation involve an effort of sorts.
Do you mean in college? I studied Art and Filmmaking and have a degree in Filmstudies. Why?

I've been interested in fashion though for at least 20 years now (if that has anything to do with your question).
Coz now I have a better idea of your background.

Forum Links
Forum Rules