Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Utah theater refuses to show 'Bareback mountain'

Utah theater refuses to show 'Bareback mountain' (Page 4)
GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 02:58 PM

It's a private company, they can show what they wish. If they don't want to show a gay cowboy movie then that's fine.

I do think it's funny that anyone would feel threatened enough by a movie like Brokeback Mountain to make a huge stink like this though.

ImpulseResponse

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 03:18 PM

Each privately-owned theater should have the right to decide what is showed on their screens. Depending on the location, it could be good or bad business.

If you show it in the red states, you might get boycotted. If you refuse to show it in a blue state, you might get picketed. In the end, I think it's a business decision for each theater. Remember that Salt Lake City is extremely conservative. It's sort of like the affiliates that are refusing to broadcast the TV show "Book of Daniel." You think they really care about morality? No, they're refusing to show it because they'll lose ratings.

Y3a
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 04:43 PM

Hollywood has been loosing money big time of late. perhaps the folks that picked those movies had some sort of minority agenda?? Proves they have the WRONG people in those jobs.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 04:55 PM

Erm…movies with any kind of "agenda" at all are rarely the ones Hollywood counts on for revenue.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 05:28 PM

I didn't like it simply because I don't like overly sentimental films with political messages (as this one has at the end of the flick.. dun worry I wun spoil it)

Two mediocre actors, a simplistic plot, and a boring script. The only reason I saw it was because I knew I would get to see Ledger and Gyl..(however you spell it) having sex. Gay people, it's time to be honest here. The sex was great but the movie was lame.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 05:51 PM

His name is Jake Gylennenhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal. Get it right.
Chuck
___

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 06:00 PM

Does anyone remember a little movie that had liberals in a frenzy? It went by the name THE PASSION OF THE CHRIST.

Many people did everything in their power to discredit and ruin the film, but it still came out and made a KILLING. Hollywood should take a good look at The Passion and realize that they could reverse their fortunes by shifting their focus.

However, this will not happen. Hollywood is run by a massive group of liberal idealogues whose agendy is advancing moral relativism, not turning a profit. Their secondary agenda is hacking off conservatives. I say let them keep making these movies and minimizing their profits.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 06:06 PM

I remember another movie called "Left Behind" that was also targeted at Christians and flopped like dying fish. To suggest that any one ideology is a guarantee to success or failure is kind of oversimplifying things. Christian also protest Harry Potter — is that another example of those "hacking off conservatives," morally relativistic works that won't turn a profit?
Chuck
___

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 06:10 PM

Left Behind didn't have the budget, cast, or crew to be a success.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 06:17 PM

Correct: It sucked. This demonstrates that the success of "Passion of the Christ" may in fact be due more to its quality than its political leaning, as you suggested with your "liberal idealogues whose agendy [sic, hehe] is advancing moral relativism, not turning a profit" bit.

Both "Passion of the Christ" and "Fahrenheit 9/11" did pretty darn well for themselves, and they pissed off opposite sides. The fact is that these were both slick, well-produced movies in addition to promoting an agenda, and thus they drew people in.
Chuck
___

Leia's Left Bun
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 9, 2006, 07:50 PM

I'd hit it!

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 9, 2006, 07:56 PM

Actually, "agendy" is a very fun word. :shame:

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 9, 2006, 08:23 PM

I like "agendy." Sounds very folksy.
Chuck
___

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 9, 2006, 08:46 PM

I'd tend to say that Hollywood is run by people who care more about turning a profit than anything else. There would be quite a lot more films being made if money was not the driving force there. Then again, there would be a lot less films being made if money was not the driving force.

Paradox!
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

loki74
Mac Elite
Jan 9, 2006, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Christian also protest Harry Potter — is that another example of those "hacking off conservatives," morally relativistic works that won't turn a profit?
Well, that's not really an example of what he's talking about--HP is a movie that some Christians who happen to be... well, in my opinion narrow minded and stupid in this regard, have decided to make a stink about. He (I think) was talking about the undeniably liberal slant hollywood has in general. HP is not political in any way that I can see.

"In a world without walls or fences, what need have we for windows or gates?"

Kerrigan
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 9, 2006, 09:41 PM

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 9, 2006, 09:57 PM

I think his sister is cute.

ledzeppelin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 10, 2006, 12:23 AM

( Last edited by ledzeppelin; Jan 30, 2006 at 12:03 AM. )

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 12:30 AM

Interracial marriages are not normal either. Interracial marriages are not as common as same race marriages. Should we ban movies showing interracial marriages?
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 12:32 AM

We discussed this already.

Rolling Bones
Banned
Jan 10, 2006, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
I'd hit it!

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by ledzeppelin
Homosexuality is not normal or equal to a man and a woman being married. We don't have to go and round up the homosexuals, but do we have to accept their way of life? Absolutely not.
Originally Posted by hyteckit
Interracial marriages are not normal either. Interracial marriages are not as common as same race marriages. Should we ban movies showing interracial marriages?
Originally Posted by euchomai
We discussed this already.
The point of drawing the parallel between inter-racial relationships and same-sex relationships is not about the content of Brokeback Mountain, it is about the underlying assumption ledzeppelin has that same-sex relationships are not "normal". The reply by hyteckit merely point out that at one time inter-racial marriages were seen as not "normal" and now they are (for the most part).

I think that by drawing this parallel hyteckit is seeking to debunk ledzeppelin's supposition about homosexuality and "normal"cy. In other words, what hyteckit could be seen to be advocating is that homosexuality in fact IS "normal" and as such the premise for ledzeppelin's position on homosexuality vis-a-vis this movie is fundamentally flawed.
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

dcmacdaddy
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by Leia's Left Bun
I'd hit it!

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones

<Steven Tyler voice>
Dood looks like a lady.
nah-nah nuh nah-nah
Dood looks like a lady.
</Steven Tyler voice>
One should never stop striving for clarity of thought and precision of expression.
I would prefer my humanity sullied with the tarnish of science rather than the gloss of religion.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy
The point of drawing the parallel between inter-racial relationships and same-sex relationships is not about the content of Brokeback Mountain, it is about the underlying assumption ledzeppelin has that same-sex relationships are not "normal". The reply by hyteckit merely point out that at one time inter-racial marriages were seen as not "normal" and now they are (for the most part).

I think that by drawing this parallel hyteckit is seeking to debunk ledzeppelin's supposition about homosexuality and "normal"cy. In other words, what hyteckit could be seen to be advocating is that homosexuality in fact IS "normal" and as such the premise for ledzeppelin's position on homosexuality vis-a-vis this movie is fundamentally flawed.

Interracial marriages are not normal. They are more accepted these days, but doesn't mean they are normal. Interracial marriages make up less than 10% of marriages, so it's not normal. I'm not advocating homosexuality. Just stating the fact that banning a movie because homosexuality is not normal is the same as banning a movie because interracial marriages is not normal.

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 10, 2006, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by dcmacdaddy

Interracial marriages are not normal. They are more accepted these days, but doesn't mean they are normal. Interracial marriages make up less than 10% of marriages, so it's not normal. I'm not advocating homosexuality. Just stating the fact that banning a movie because homosexuality is not normal is the same as banning a movie because interracial marriages is not normal.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 10, 2006, 08:33 AM

I think arguing that interracial man/woman sex is comparable to man/man or woman/woman sex is highly questionable.

But that is MHO.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Rolling Bones
The K stands for "Keith" and the D stands for "David".
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin
I think arguing that interracial man/woman sex is comparable to man/man or woman/woman sex is highly questionable.
Agreed.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

acadian
Senior User
Jan 10, 2006, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
But whatever, we don't get this homophobic crap in Europe so I don't really care I guess.
Nope, never happens in Europe.....

people ruin everything....

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jan 10, 2006, 11:13 AM

Oh dear god.

I saw the movie, it was a good film. Perhaps a bit "vacant" in spots (Kim fell asleep after an hour), but it was well acted and well shot. In fact, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to see Ledger's strongest acting performance.

However, the theater has every right not to show it. It's their choice, backed by the US Constituition. It's not censorship, no more than a theater in Soho refusing to show the movie Left Behind (film concerning the Rapture) or The Passion of the Christ. I wonder how many of the people in this thread who are wailing "censorship" would say the same for those two films? I didn't think so.

Are the theater owners, who are refusing to show Brokeback, homophobes? I don't know, I've never met the people. Are they scared that they're going to lose customers for showing it because their theater is in the middle of Mormon country? Most likely.

Think people, think.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by MacNStein
Oh dear god.

I saw the movie, it was a good film. Perhaps a bit "vacant" in spots (Kim fell asleep after an hour), but it was well acted and well shot. In fact, I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to see Ledger's strongest acting performance.

However, the theater has every right not to show it. It's their choice, backed by the US Constituition. It's not censorship, no more than a theater in Soho refusing to show the movie Left Behind (film concerning the Rapture) or The Passion of the Christ. I wonder how many of the people in this thread who are wailing "censorship" would say the same for those two films? I didn't think so.

Are the theater owners, who are refusing to show Brokeback, homophobes? I don't know, I've never met the people. Are they scared that they're going to lose customers for showing it because their theater is in the middle of Mormon country? Most likely.

Think people, think.
Very good post, well spoken too.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 04:37 PM

I don't think that losing customers out here is really the driving force. You might lose some die-hard idealists, but a lot of the people out here don't care that much. The Salt Lake valley here is less than Half LDS, and I would be willing to bet that Less than half of those are strong, practicing people. Among those people, not all of them are going to abandon a theater or even an entire chain of theaters because they're showing a movie they don't agree with.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by SirCastor
I don't think that losing customers out here is really the driving force. You might lose some die-hard idealists, but a lot of the people out here don't care that much. The Salt Lake valley here is less than Half LDS, and I would be willing to bet that Less than half of those are strong, practicing people. Among those people, not all of them are going to abandon a theater or even an entire chain of theaters because they're showing a movie they don't agree with.
That's not what we heard.

euchomai
Mac Elite
Jan 10, 2006, 05:05 PM

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 10, 2006, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by euchomai
Well, I live here, and that's the way I feel.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

ink
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 12:38 AM

I don't think that losing customers out here is really the driving force.
I agree. Salt Lake* has a liberal mayor and congressman (apologies for our senator). Fortunately, Brokeback was shown at other theaters, so everyone just went there instead. I saw the film in a packed theater last Friday; I didn't "get it", I guess. I thought it was OK, but nowhere near as entertaining as Wallace and Gromit or Serenity. :-)

If Miller wants to ban Brokeback for religous reasons (which I'm 95% certain of), I just don't see why he doesn't ban all the other films that disagree with Mormonism -- which would include all rated-R moves. It seems a bit disingenious to target this one film, hence he merits the appropriate label "homophobe".

* Although, two of Miller's theaters are *not* in Salt Lake, but in Mormon suburbs (Sandy and Lehi). He probably would have loved to show it in the Gateway... since nobody who goes there would give a rat's ass one way or the other.

Kevin
Baninated
Jan 11, 2006, 12:39 AM

You are ALL gay.

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by ink
Brokeback was shown at other theaters, so everyone just went there instead.
Right, so this entire issue is a non issue. What if the guy refused to show the movie because he thought Julia Roberts' mouth was too big? We'd laugh and move on. Instead of being freaked out by an oversized mouth, this guy's freaked out by guy on guy love. So what?

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 08:55 AM

Ok, i saw this last night, 1 thing concerned me.

People in the cinema were giggling and laughing when they saw the lead characters kissing.

I have no concept of why they find it funny.

I thought the film was good, it seemed a lot longer than the 2 hours it was, but I didn't get bored. It is well shot and the acting is 1st rate. I see oscars or at least nominations for the lead performances.

The Utah movie house may not be showing the movie because of the portrayal of how homosexuals were treated in America (and anywhere) in the 60s.

The gang-beatings etc can only make a community of homophobes feel a little uneasy. Where is the line between homophobia, organised homo-phobia and murder?

As for some of the comments in here and the use of the words "moral" and "normal", oh dear.

Edit: typo
( Last edited by ShotgunEd; Jan 11, 2006 at 09:11 AM. )

wallinbl
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by ShotgunEd
People in the cinema were giggling and laughing when the saw the lead characters kissing.

I have no concept of why they find it funny.
Because it made them uncomfortable, and they didn't know how to react, so they laughed.

I'm serious about that - people will laugh and giggle when they are uncomfortable because they don't know what else to do. That's why there is news about this movie - gay men make many people uncomfortable. Right or wrong, many people are uncomfortable about seeing it.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 11:34 AM

Why is it such a big surprise that an Utah theatre is not showing this movie. In a state where it is still permissable to treat women with such a high disregard as to force them into plural marriages; they would never accept gay people.

And it is a beautiful movie, because of it, I might go to Wyoming one of these days; beautiful scenery. Beautiful tragic love story, about sometimes courage.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 11:38 AM

Sorry triple post today.

Monique
Mac Elite
Jan 11, 2006, 11:38 AM

Why is it such a big surprise that an Utah theatre is not showing this movie. In a state where it is still permissable to treat women with such a high disregard as to force them into plural marriages; they would never accept gay people.

And it is a beautiful movie, because of it, I might go to Wyoming one of these days; beautiful scenery. Beautiful tragic love story, about sometimes courage.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Monique

It's not permissible to practice plural marriage, it's against the law. Most of the women who do practice it grew up believing that it is acceptable. Most of the people I know place women in the highest regard. Because there are a few groups that do something wrong doesn't mean you should identify the whole as bad.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jan 11, 2006, 11:56 AM

It's not permissible to practice plural marriage, it's against the law. Most of the women who do practice it grew up believing that it is acceptable. Most of the people I know place women in the highest regard. Because there are a few groups that do something wrong doesn't mean you should identify the whole as bad.
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

kellybelly
Jan 17, 2006, 09:18 PM

Unfortunately, the majority of the movie was not filmed in Wyoming, but in Alberta.
kellybelly.net
12" Powerbook G4 Rev. C | 1.33GHz | 768Mb RAM | superdrive
5G 60GB iPod (black) | 3G 40GB iPod

badtz
Mac Elite
Jan 23, 2006, 05:50 AM

great movie, def. worth the time!

italiano
Forum Regular
Jan 24, 2006, 09:14 AM

my wife and I both consider ourselves to be Evangelical Christians and we're both morally opposed to homosexuality... we just saw Brokeback Mountain and I can honestly say it was a very good movie. Acting was excellent and good cinematography. Maybe I'm opposed to the content but as a movie it was rated 3 or 4 in my top 10. My wife was a bit shocked but also felt it was indeed a well made movie... worthy of awards. It would have been hard for an actor to act in the 2 main roles - as a straight male "kissing" another man as well as other things...
Visit us on the web @ strangedogs.com for FREE SPEECH and Video Card Flashing.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2006, 11:33 AM

The movie might be a "good" movie, but I won't be watching it. As for two men kissing, yes it makes me uncomfortable. The day that it doesn't make me uncomfortable is the day that I become worried that I've let society numb my conscience.

ghporter
Administrator
Jan 24, 2006, 12:13 PM

"Common" and "normal" are NOT synonymous. It is uncommon but relatively normal for a couple to have twins, and of those it is uncommon but perfectly normal for a notable percentage of those twins to be identical.

"Normal" in the context of "Brokeback Mountain" is "what the times and culture put up with." which seemed to be both one of the story's points and one of its driving forces. Refusing to show a film because of its content is a political statement. It is also a statement, in this case, of intolerance. Surprise!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules