Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iphone battery guage totally inaccurate

iphone battery guage totally inaccurate
bleee
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 18, 2008, 12:47 PM

I'm running 2.1 firmware on my 3g iphone (I have not hacked or modifed my iPhone in anyway). Yesterday my iPhone just died on my while I was using it... battery ran out, but I was positive that the battery gauge said full. I did use my iPhone heavily, I'm experiencing the same problem today... my battery gauge is full but under Usage statistic it say 1 hour and 32 minutes stand by and I did use it heavily this moring VPN + RDP. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Do I need to have my iPhone replaced? (I charged my iPhone the entire night after it had died)
2.66Ghz Mac Pro 2GM Ram 160Gig HD Ati X1900XT, 24" Dell 2407WFP
13.3" Mac Book Core Duo 2GIG Ram 80Gig HD
12" PowerBook 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 60Gig HD
12" iBook 600Mhz (Late 2001) 640MB Ram 30Gig HD

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 18, 2008, 01:14 PM

I see the same problem, though it isn't just the iPhone. I haven't seen a device since my flip-phone days with a decent battery indicator.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

pbjudge
Forum Regular
Oct 14, 2008, 10:15 AM

The batter gauge has always worked for me, up to and including upgrading to 2.1. But two or three days ago, it shut off in the middle of an email even though the gauge said full. It happened yesterday and again today. Since I did not notice this after 2.1 was installed, I am guess it might be due to a conflict with a new app. But I've added about 5 new apps at the beginning of the week and I cannot tell which one might be causing it...

I find resetting it corrects the battery gauge inaccuracy, but since most of the time there is no way to know something is wrong, there is no way to know that a restart is required... so how can we be sure of the battery life?!?
24"2.33Ghz iMac, 500G Hdisk, running OS 10.5; iPhone 3G 16G

zro
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2008, 10:25 AM

I just had the wrongly full gauge last night. I thought it was a fluke, but apparently not.

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 14, 2008, 05:17 PM

My iPhone's battery display works about the same as the fuel gauge on every car I've ever owned:

1/2 full really means that you have 1/4 to 1/3 left.

QS

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2008, 10:13 AM

QS - I understand there is a "new" method for car fuel gauges. A friend of mine says his new Honda has it and its remarkably accurate. I know this is WAY off-topic, but found it interesting.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 15, 2008, 10:24 AM

@CorpITGuy--I'll have to research what Honda came up with.

It's interesting that this thread got resurrected this week. I overslept one morning when the iPhone ran out of jiuce and the alarm didn't go off. When I went to bed the indicator showed about 1/3rd full. I always set it to Airplane mode and I thought in the past (but still with v2.1), it was able to hold the charge for the rest of the night.

QS

TiG4
Forum Regular
Oct 20, 2008, 10:07 PM

I had the same problem with my 3G iPhone. The strange thing was the fact that it happened all of a sudden. My iPhone has not been hacked and this did not happen right after a firmware upgrade.
The battery indicator was always full, no matter how long you use it. If you do not charge it thinking that it is indeed full, it will eventually go from full to empty.
I tried to restore the firmware, to no avail.
So, I made an appointment with an Apple Genius and he exchanged it without saying anything more.
Now, I get to see how my iPhone's life depletes gradually in 2 hours of intensive use
Gil
- It's not a sin to dance at a wedding -

Forum Links
Forum Rules