Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > disk errors and i/o errors

disk errors and i/o errors
arclight
Forum Regular
Mar 23, 2005, 04:09 PM

Hello again everyone-

I had placed a post in the powermac forums this past weekend regarding my internal HDD woes (directory bitmap was hosed on a hard reset). I gave up on Diskwarrior after seven hours of no progress. So...I reformatted, and reinstalled, updated and migrated my backups back to my fresh 10.3 install. However...

I'm having another problem now. I'm starting to get disk errors and i/o errors when writing to my internal drive. This is my first G5 and also my first experience with SATA drives. I remember reading a tidbit of info about never low level formatting an ATA drive. Does this hold true for SATA as well? I'm just curious if I wipe the drive clean again if I might get rid if these recurring disk errors. Any advice or help is appreciated.

FYI- the machine is only three months old

thanks

Tim
---------------------------------------

MORT A POTTY
Senior User
Mar 23, 2005, 04:13 PM

it might be a bad drive. do the S.M.A.R.T. diagnostics check out (they probably will regardless)

run TechTool Pro 4 if you have it or can get it. Drive 10 would also be just as good in this case since it's the HD component of TTP4 anyway.

if all that checks out, then try reformatting again and starting over.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 23, 2005, 05:06 PM

I had a problem kind of like this. I/O errors on the startup drive. Scanned it with the old OS 9 Drive Setup (aside: why doesn't the OS X Disk Utility have a surface scan feature, anyway?) and TechTool Pro - Drive Setup found bad sectors, TTP didn't for some reason. Gave the hard drive a good reformat while zeroing all data and it seems to be fine now.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Forum Links
Forum Rules