Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 1975-1985 @ The Movies

1975-1985 @ The Movies
Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2016, 10:02 AM

Disclaimer: You might need nostalgia goggled for this thread.

I was thinking about some of my favorite adventure/sci-fi movies and I came to the strange realization that most of them came out between 75 and 85. Strange coincidence, i suppose.

( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Apr 5, 2016 at 12:57 PM. )

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2016, 10:27 AM

Coincidence? Nah

Most likely because they were released or at their popular peak during your formative years. If you'd had been born 20 years later or earlier you'd probably have not had the same appreciation or hold them in the same regard despite their quality and success remaining the same.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2016, 10:40 AM

I'd say it was a unique time.

The traditional studio system had unraveled and film school was a thing for the first time.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2016, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Coincidence? Nah

Most likely because they were released or at their popular peak during your formative years. If you'd had been born 20 years later or earlier you'd probably have not had the same appreciation or hold them in the same regard despite their quality and success remaining the same.
This.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2016, 12:36 PM

You were born in the late 60s?

Oddly, most of my favorite/desert island films — except for Empire Strikes Back — didn't come out during my "formative" years...

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2016, 12:44 PM

I was born in the early 80s, i watched most of them in the 90s on video.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2016, 12:51 PM

It was a unique period - it was so 'loose' until early 80's ...

let us not forgot Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Convoy, The Gumball Rally, Smokey and the Bandit, (and every other car/rebel movie made)..... great muscle cars to see...

Films like Jaws, Alien, Network, China Syndrome, RollerBall.... would never be made today or at least they would be whored up and made way too commercial.

There are a lot of bad films though, I can't even think about them at the moment but bad films I love to hate from this era are the Irwin Allen films and the clones: Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Cassandra Crossing, Hindenburg, Juggernaut... oh and the grandaddy of them all : The Poseidon Adventure

nostalgia overload
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2016, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Coincidence? Nah

Some of the kids today like some of these films, but find them too long or boring, often missing the message.
That was the problem with these films - maybe they were too preachy in some aspects, or just too simple for a modern complicated world. who knows.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2016, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
It was a unique period - it was so 'loose' until early 80's ...

let us not forgot Dirty Mary Crazy Larry, Convoy, The Gumball Rally, Smokey and the Bandit, (and every other car/rebel movie made)..... great muscle cars to see...

Films like Jaws, Alien, Network, China Syndrome, RollerBall.... would never be made today or at least they would be whored up and made way too commercial.

There are a lot of bad films though, I can't even think about them at the moment but bad films I love to hate from this era are the Irwin Allen films and the clones: Towering Inferno, Earthquake, Cassandra Crossing, Hindenburg, Juggernaut... oh and the grandaddy of them all : The Poseidon Adventure

nostalgia overload
Totally forgot about Alien (updated the original post). I watched the original Star Wars and Alien in the early 2000s

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 5, 2016, 05:24 PM

Summer of '82 - best summer of movies ever.

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 6, 2016, 04:05 AM

Am I the only one who thinks this thread should be Sneak Previews and not At the Movies?

Forum Links
Forum Rules