Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Teach me about modern day Russia

Teach me about modern day Russia
iM@k
Senior User
Jul 18, 2007, 11:43 PM

As an American who was born for the end of the cold war (DOB 10/22/81), I'm surprised by how little I (and from what I can tell, the grand majority of my American generation) know about the Former Soviet Union.

Thanks to the history channel, I know a little bit about the pre communist era and the end of the Czars (tsars/tzars sp? with Rasputin.

But what about the new Russia? The most I know about it is it has a fairly large land area, St. Petersburg and Moscow are major cities, both located on the western end in a small section that is part of Europe, the rest of the country is part of Asia.

The last news event I know of from there was with the sinking of the Kursk, and how it was one of the new Russia's first real dealings with the international press
(I recall a woman being sedated as she was saying negative things about the Russian governments lack of action)

Does Russia have any large internal political boundaries like states of provinces? I know it's north (siberia) isn't terribly livable, but what about it southern section. which mostly lies between the 45N and 60N lines similar to Canada. how are their relations with their eastern neighbors China (Mongolia)/Kazakhstan, ect?

Teach me everything about Modern Russia that the American education system (Or extreme lack there of) didn't.
What, me worry?

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 18, 2007, 11:48 PM

For the basic facts about political boundaries etc, try Wikipedia. When you have the basics, perhaps you can come back with a more focused question than 'teach me everything'?

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
For the basic facts about political boundaries etc, try Wikipedia.
Yet another person who trusts that thing as if it were fact checked.

For any country's background you go here: The World Factbook

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2007, 12:36 AM

I agree with your sentiment, but I have found it to be largely correct for the things I recommended it for.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 12:37 AM

They have lots of moles.

On their faces that is.

Just like the Brits. Hmmmm?

iM@k  (op)
Senior User
Jul 19, 2007, 01:26 AM

I am well aware of other resources where I could obtain the cold hard facts. However I asking here for a certain reason that I do not wish to discuss at this time.
What, me worry?

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 01:45 AM

Why would you be asking about this on a Mac web board? How many people here are going to know anything about Russian history besides what's on wikipedia?

Or are you just testing to see how long it will take for the thread to be overrun by dumb "In Russia, Wikipedia reads you!" jokes?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Oversoul
Senior User
Jul 19, 2007, 01:47 AM

I saw an interview with Garry Kasparov (the chess champion) on Webnation w/Amber Mac a few weeks ago, and he was heading up The Other Russia - News from the Coalition for Democracy in Russia, an organization that is trying to shed light on the anti-democratic policies and political repression going on under the Putin regime.

Check out their site for news about modern Russia.

D. S. Troyer
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by CharlesS View Post
Why would you be asking about this on a Mac web board? How many people here are going to know anything about Russian history besides what's on wikipedia?

Or are you just testing to see how long it will take for the thread to be overrun by dumb "In Russia, Wikipedia reads you!" jokes?
It's the freakin' lounge. Like other stuffs discussed, not just Macintosh crap. Like maybe serial killing or Harry Pothead kiddy stuffs.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 01:59 AM

Cryptic.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
Yet another person who trusts that thing as if it were fact checked.
It is fact-checked. Perhaps not as rigorously as you might prefer, but people do check its facts and correct them. Anyway, I would bet that it is at least as reliable on average as, say, asking a high school teacher, and we trust them with our children's minds.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

HackManDan
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2007, 10:06 AM

If you have access to back issues of the Los Angeles Times online at your local library, check out a series entitled the " The Vanishing Russians: A Dying Population":

Part I: Russians are dying in record numbers from disease, suicide and substance abuse.

Part II: An inadequate health- care system provides good care only for those who can pay.

Part III: As Muslim populations grow, Russians confront a multiethnic future.

It ran (I think) Oct. 10, 2006.

KeriVit
Professional Poster
Jul 19, 2007, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by HackManDan View Post

Part I: Russians are dying in record numbers from disease, suicide and substance abuse.

Part II: An inadequate health- care system provides good care only for those who can pay.

Sounds like America.

Cold Warrior
Jul 19, 2007, 10:37 AM

This happens to be my area of semi-expertise. I've traveled to Petersburg and Moscow a number of times in the 21st century. What I see there is a vibrant, energetic capitalism and hard-working middle class. Many people are finding a good living in those cities. Education (which is almost universally state-run) from childhood through the graduate level tends to be very good. Russia has a flat-tax system, although getting Russians to pay at all is a challenge. There isn't a credit system, so they tend to pay with everything in cash, e.g., cars, apartments, etc., after years of saving up for it. I believe they'll eventually develop a credit infrastructure based around a centralized state-run database and their internal passport system (see next). Russia has an internal passport, which carries highly detailed information, such as one's DOB, place of birth, spouse's name, home address, children's names, etc. One is required to present this passport on demand by the authorities, although they don't normally go around asking ethnic Russians to present identification. Petersburg and Moscow tend to be very safe cities; I'm more comfortable there than in Atlanta or D.C., for example. Health care tends to be good quality and very affordable, and one is almost always seen by actual doctors, not shunted away to nurses or technicians.

Some modern-day problems include harder, poorer life outside the major cities; corruption; life expectancy among males; alcohol abuse; and worrisome HIV and STD rates.

Anything else, just ask and I'll do my best to articulate.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jul 19, 2007, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by KeriVit View Post
Sounds like America.
Not really. Americans are not dying in record numbers from disease, suicide and substance abuse, at least last I checked. Our healthcare system provides good care to most people. And we've always had a multiethnic culture, so we don't really have any need to adapt to it.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by HackManDan View Post
If you have access to back issues of the Los Angeles Times online at your local library, check out a series entitled the " The Vanishing Russians: A Dying Population":

It ran (I think) Oct. 10, 2006.
I was in Russia earlier this year, and would disagree with many of those items.

Yes, the population of Russia is decreasing. Low birth rates (primarily due to females choosing careers over motherhood) and increased death rates (primarily due to an aging population) are fueling this.

The healthcare system there isn't amazing, but at least there is a safety net of some type. Many people pay more for faster/better care, but compared to many countries, it's not nearly as bad as it could be.

I know there are growing religious issues. I wasn't in any of the cities where it was an issue.

I think Russia is an amazing country. We need to remember that's it's basically 16 years old. They went through their "gangster" 20s and 30s in just a few years while organized crime market their territories.

I felt very save walking the streets of Moscow and St. Petersburg at night. I think, like any city, the trick is to blend in.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Jul 19, 2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
This happens to be my area of semi-expertise. I've traveled to Petersburg and Moscow a number of times in the 21st century. What I see there is a vibrant, energetic capitalism and hard-working middle class. Many people are finding a good living in those cities. Education (which is almost universally state-run) from childhood through the graduate level tends to be very good. Russia has a flat-tax system, although getting Russians to pay at all is a challenge. There isn't a credit system, so they tend to pay with everything in cash, e.g., cars, apartments, etc., after years of saving up for it. I believe they'll eventually develop a credit infrastructure based around a centralized state-run database and their internal passport system (see next). Russia has an internal passport, which carries highly detailed information, such as one's DOB, place of birth, spouse's name, home address, children's names, etc. One is required to present this passport on demand by the authorities, although they don't normally go around asking ethnic Russians to present identification. Petersburg and Moscow tend to be very safe cities; I'm more comfortable there than in Atlanta or D.C., for example. Health care tends to be good quality and very affordable, and one is almost always seen by actual doctors, not shunted away to nurses or technicians.

Some modern-day problems include harder, poorer life outside the major cities; corruption; life expectancy among males; alcohol abuse; and worrisome HIV and STD rates.

Anything else, just ask and I'll do my best to articulate.
That's exactly what I saw in Russia.

Forum Links
Forum Rules