Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > NetBarrier X5 and torrents

NetBarrier X5 and torrents
angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 05:47 AM

So after installing NetBarrier X5 I can't any longer download torrent files. No matter what I try regarding its configuration makes a difference, any idea?. Thanks.

thechidz
Forum Regular
Dec 8, 2008, 06:24 AM

well since NB is designed to protect your mac and torrents can have so many virus I think just shutting down NB when you want to torrent. Why do you need NB anyway?

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 07:05 AM

Thanks for your reply. Well, I have had NetBarrier under Mac OS 9 and sort of liked it to protect my bank accounts and other sensitive data… I am kind of paranoid about security and think sooner than later something nasty is going to attack our happy Macs… so I was giving X5 a try but even setting it up without any protection still render torrent apps useless… if this has anything to do with ports and so I am giving up cause I have no freaking idea about it and don't intend to.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Dec 8, 2008, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Thanks for your reply. Well, I have had NetBarrier under Mac OS 9 and sort of liked it to protect my bank accounts and other sensitive data… I am kind of paranoid about security and think sooner than later something nasty is going to attack our happy Macs… so I was giving X5 a try but even setting it up without any protection still render torrent apps useless… if this has anything to do with ports and so I am giving up cause I have no freaking idea about it and don't intend to.
Under the "Anti-spyware" tab, select your Bittorent application in the left column. Once selected,
on the right side select "allow outgoing connections".
I have zero problems with torrents and NetBarrier X5.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2008, 12:44 PM

Thanks JellyBeen, thing is that is how I had it set up. I had also cloned my default config to turn the anti-spyware feature off, but it didn't help. Weird enough, it is working right now even with the anti-spyware feature activated.

Ted L. Nancy
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 9, 2008, 12:07 PM

You know I also have zero issue with X5 and torrents. I can tell you that X5 has had a couple of critical updates lately that have fixed a number of issues- I'm sure you keep up to date and perhaps this is what solved your problem.

By the way, I've emailed Intego's support people before, and although it took them a couple of days to respond, I was impressed with their attentiveness and expertise.
10.7.1 on Mac Pro 8x2.8

angelmb  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2008, 04:56 PM

Thanks Ted. You're right, I am running X5 10.5.3 (weird idea to use such a name scheme, so I am running X5 10.5.3 under Mac OS X 10.5.5) Anyhow, whatever it was the issue, it spontaneously remedied itself. Funny.

Forum Links
Forum Rules