Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Caprica (Spoilers/Speculation)

Caprica (Spoilers/Speculation) (Page 2)
RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
May 5, 2009, 09:03 AM

It's hard not to, ya know?
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 03:20 AM

So, we've had 3 episodes so far... What do you guys think?

JellyBeen
Senior User
Feb 7, 2010, 06:59 AM

Meh, dunno yet. You'll get the same meh out of me with Stargate Universe.
I was a huge fan of BSG (new series) and SG1. These new series lack something and
I'm not really sure what that is. A soul perhaps? By soul I mean movie magic I suppose.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Feb 7, 2010, 10:55 AM

I was a huge fan of BSG, but I haven't even bothered to tune into Caprica. The *trailers* were getting a "meh" from me. I'm not even all that sure that BSG needs backstory. If it's done well, starting in the middle of the story makes it fee more epic, but providing the backstory can kill that.

Actually, to be perfectly honest, I'm not finding *any* of the lastest sci-fi fare to be all that interesting.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 7, 2010, 01:37 PM

I don't hate it, but it's pretty slow. I'm already tired of the crying and all, and the Sister that wants Lacey. I'm also not getting into Zoe being a 6 ft Cylon robot traipsing around the house while no one is home (youd think Serge would say something about that...).

But Lacey is kinda hawt in a troubled-chick kind of way.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
I was a huge fan of BSG, but I haven't even bothered to tune into Caprica. The *trailers* were getting a "meh" from me. I'm not even all that sure that BSG needs backstory. If it's done well, starting in the middle of the story makes it fee more epic, but providing the backstory can kill that.

Actually, to be perfectly honest, I'm not finding *any* of the lastest sci-fi fare to be all that interesting.

It's a completely different animal than BSG. This is a family drama, not a space opera, so it's not a backstory in terms of being a strict BSG prequel. There are similarities, but there are enough differences that it feels like a new series.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by JellyBeen View Post
Meh, dunno yet. You'll get the same meh out of me with Stargate Universe.
I was a huge fan of BSG (new series) and SG1. These new series lack something and
I'm not really sure what that is. A soul perhaps? By soul I mean movie magic I suppose.

I think the big difference is that the conflict in the BSG pilot was extremely apparent once the attack on the home worlds began. In Caprica, we aren't really clear on the conflict just yet. Some patience is demanded from us while this is setup. I suspect that some of this will involve Avatars being available to the elites in society, thereby making them immortal, but I'm not sure.

I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, but the series does have potential.

JellyBeen
Senior User
Feb 7, 2010, 10:24 PM

Good point Bess.
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 7, 2010, 11:38 PM

The BSG Pilot started out very Hollywood, Independence Dayish, War of the Worlds (Tom Cruise), shock and awe sort of thing. The complexities of the story that made it so compelling came much later. At the end of all of this, kicking Cylon ass was really not all that central to many of the plot lines. It was sort of omnipresent, but at times it was on the periphery.

Just my two cents...

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 8, 2010, 12:19 AM

Because of this thread, I googled the name. Because of that, I read the wikipedia entry. Because of that, I checked it out on Hulu. I've seen about 2/3 of the first part of the pilot. So far, here are my thoughts:

1. Holy **** yes industrial design batman! This is great, great stuff. Not INTANGIBLE future products, but things that are based off of our reality, with the foresight to see what they might become. The robots that allow people entry, the paper "computers", the high speed rail, the VTOL aircraft, the architecture, the style... everything is visually a knock out. Well designed, well thought out version of the future. EXCLUDING the robot with paintball guns. I do not understand why scanning LED would be good "eyeballs", nor do I understand why paintball guns would look exactly the same in the future, as they do now.

2. Story is MEH so far. Seems like dad is going to find daughter's creation, and put it in robot.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 12:33 AM

Ron Moore's writing style is very complicated, Rob, I really do think he's just getting started in terms of developing the plot and the general conflicts. If you followed the Battlestar threads you'd remember how much confusion and intrigue there was over dozens of little side plots and what they meant to the overall direction and story arc. At times he may have went too far and it got too cerebral, unlike a show like Heroes that demands little from the viewer. After BSG ended Ron Moore took questions on the BSG forum and you could sense based on what he contributed there that he is the kind of guy that sort of needs to be restrained from throwing in the kitchen sink in terms of plot devices. His writing style really demands a great deal from the viewer at times. At times it's sort of hit-you-over-the-head, but at many other times it can also be quite provocative and tease you enough to try to peel back layers, even if there is nothing underneath the layers.

I have no reason to believe that we won't see Moore's signature story telling characteristics as things get going. At least, that's what I hope.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Dad is going to find daughter's creation and put it in robot" though? Zoe's creation is already in the robot.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 8, 2010, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by "Dad is going to find daughter's creation and put it in robot" though? Zoe's creation is already in the robot.
Originally Posted by downinflames68 View Post
I've seen about 2/3 of the first part of the pilot.
See second quote.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 02:12 AM

Sorry, I suck.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 8, 2010, 02:15 AM

It's cool man. I don't judge you. Just saying I 'splained my thoughts.

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 8, 2010, 02:51 AM

Oh, and I may be a dirty old man, but Zoe is ****ing hot. So hot. Would do horrible things. Ugh.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 03:05 AM

It's cool man. I don't judge you. Just saying I 'splained my thoughts.
Do you like me? I always think of you as that tough guy smoking cigarettes on his motorbike that tosses beer bottles at buildings you don't like, I want to make sure that we're cool, because you are powerful

I also think that Zoe is hot.
( Last edited by besson3c; Feb 8, 2010 at 03:23 AM. )

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 03:24 AM

Have you guys noticed that Moore likes to cast gay characters and get them to do stuff that we don't often think of gays doing? Similar for women... It is interesting having these boundaries pushed in a fictional universe

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 8, 2010, 03:51 AM

I don't toss building at bottes a ta ll I think lterring is lame. put shit in the trash you know? Jess. Trash cans are eveywhere. Also, rum is exclellent tonight.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 8, 2010, 03:55 AM

Types like it...

downinflames68
Baninated
Feb 8, 2010, 04:07 AM

ty[s like your mom hahahaha

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 8, 2010, 04:09 AM

Yeah! Your Mom types like that Railhead, if that is your real name!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 9, 2010, 12:51 AM

I'm finding it hard sitting through the Caprica episodes. It's the religious mumbo jumbo of the last couple of seasons of BSG without anything else to move the stories along. If it stays anything like this, it's not gonna last even one season IMO.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2010, 01:46 PM

Outside of watching the pilot when it was first released, I haven't managed to watch the new episodes, although they are on my dvr and I'll probably give them a chance. But I just read that according to the canon established on BSG, this show is taking place five years before the first Cylon war. The same blurb (tv guide) stated that Lucy Lawless has been contracted to be on Caprica, and we'll see the skin jobs starting their lives on Caprica. Doesn't that contradict the canon established in the last season of BSG? Didn't Ellen say the final five arrived at the end of the Cylon war?
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Feb 10, 2010 at 02:41 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2010, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
Outside of watching the pilot when it was first released, I haven't managed to watch the new episodes, although they are on my dvr and I'll probably give them a chance. But I just read that according to the canon established on BSG, this show is taking place five years before the first Cylon war. The same blurb (tv guide) stated that Lucy Lawless has been contracted to be on Caprica, and we'll see the skin jobs starting their lives on Caprica. Doesn't that contradict the canon established in the last season of BSG? Didn't Ellen say the final five arrived at the end of the Cylon war?
At this point in the Caprica series, my feeling is "Who cares?".

5 years in BSG was enough.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Feb 10, 2010 at 02:41 PM. Reason: oops, fixed a typo in the quote instead of my original post)

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2010, 03:07 PM

Maybe the first skin jobs were not the final five, but experimental skin jobs that could not resurrect? Maybe hybrid robot/skin job? Who knows...

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2010, 05:27 PM

Maybe the first skin jobs were not the final five, but experimental skin jobs that could not resurrect? Maybe hybrid robot/skin job? Who knows...
We do. We know this because Ellen said that the mechanical cylons had tried to create biological cylons, and had only managed to create the original hybrid that we saw in Razor. Continuity is a big thing with me, it annoys me when writers can't pay as much attention to their own story as I do. If they can't keep a history straight that for us is only a year or so old, it doesn't give me high hopes for the show right from the start.

I also have some qualms about Espenson as the head of this show. I think BSG went south when she came onboard. I'm still willing to give the show a shot, I watched the second episode this afternoon, and will get to the third tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to withhold judgement until I give it a shot. Maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. I didn't care for the original '03 BSG miniseries, but the show became my favorite tv shows (well the first two seasons anyway), so we'll see.
Nemo me impune lacesset

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2010, 06:39 PM

I liked the way the last episode ended. I guess we all assumed that because from watching BSG and Adama was so nice we all assumed his father would be also. I like seeing that is dad is more like Tony Saprano. That other dude with the tats is hot and a nice visual replacement of Helo for me

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 10, 2010, 07:26 PM

How did it end? I recorded it last night, and it would seem the SiFee original craptastic movie that was on before it ran a bit long, so I missed the end. I only saw up to the point that Adama and Greystone went looking for the Adama girl's avatar and couldn't find it.

So far, I think Sam Adama is the most likable and interesting character, hot or not. That gimmick with the girl switching back and forth between being a robot and being a girl from scene to scene is getting old fast. I'd prefer it if they kept her in the robot body in the "real" world and used the girl avatar in the virtual world.
Nemo me impune lacesset

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2010, 07:41 PM

Sam Adama?

Here I was, thinking this show couldn't possibly be as stupid as the BSG.

How's the Ben Franklim character? Or Jack Hancoco? Tom Jeffersol?
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Feb 10, 2010, 07:46 PM

I just wanted to say that I haven't read this thread at all, but just saw that voodoo had posted and had to click, knowing *exactly* what to expect.

Nice troll. Though the bit about the presidents was funny.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Feb 11, 2010, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by ThinkInsane View Post
How did it end?
Adama put out a hit on Greystones wife to even the odds for losing both his daughter and his wife.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 2, 2010, 08:16 PM

Holy shit, great episode.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

aristotles
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 3, 2010, 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Holy shit, great episode.
Agreed. It had a great cliffhanger.

--
Aristotle
15" rMBP 2.7 Ghz ,16GB, 768GB SSD, 64GB iPhone 5 S⃣ 128GB iPad Air LTE

downinflames68
Baninated
Mar 3, 2010, 03:42 AM

I don't understand why that kid ran in the first place, or why Joseph didn't offer him money. Really stupid that he just ran away.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 3, 2010, 03:58 AM

It's not a given that this kid was interested in real world material possessions, or really what is driving him at all, but it looks like he will become a pretty important character.

The whole exploration of the V-world in this episode opens up a *ton* of interesting plot possibilities...

Thorzdad
Mar 3, 2010, 10:05 AM

I'm glad I tuned-in for this last episode. My interest was already waning, but this one got me interested again.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2010, 04:49 PM

Hmm cool, I didn't really see that one coming.

So it looks like what happened is that non-physical resurrection came first. Eventually they probably try stuffing the avatars into some more humanoid robot form to replace dead ones. These resurrected robots perhaps are the ones that rebel or will there be non-avatar and downloaded avatar Cylons?

It was made clear in BSG that the cylons tried to go organic and couldn't until the final 5 gave them the ability to do organic resurrection.

Interesting...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2010, 01:04 AM

No comments on the cliffhanger ending of the last episode? I was not expecting that development so soon.. *Great* ending!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 01:27 AM

That was a cliffhanger?

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2010, 04:18 AM

I was hoping for more action from the female Neo on this most recent episode.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 16, 2010, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by analogue SPRINKLES View Post
That was a cliffhanger?
Yeah, were you expecting Daniel to say what he said?

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 07:28 AM

I am enjoying what my wife calls "Capri-bore". The concepts are more interesting than the actual characters and their adventures. I want it to move along at a faster pace before it gets canceled. Like Dollhouse, only somewhere in between.

I've been watching it in HD on Comcast On Demand. I've seen 7 or 8 hours worth (had to download the pilot) and watched it all the in the last week instead of being spoon-fed over 8 months. I hate waiting week to week.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

downinflames68
Baninated
Mar 16, 2010, 10:23 AM

You'd think that nerd kid who's whole online life was destroyed would have been more pissed off, because that was so much of his identity.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 16, 2010, 12:24 PM

Yeah, were you expecting Daniel to say what he said?
Ya actually I expected it 5 episodes ago.

When he first transferred the Avatar to the Cylon it worked as expected, then he thought he lost the avatar but the robot still worked when no other models did.

Not quite as smart as I thought he was.

torsoboy
Mac Elite
Mar 16, 2010, 01:44 PM

You'd think that nerd kid who's whole online life was destroyed would have been more pissed off, because that was so much of his identity.
Yeah, I agree. I guess he isn't as much of a character in the show as they made him out to be in the beginning.

downinflames68
Baninated
Mar 23, 2010, 01:30 AM

Well??????

Glad the dog didn't die.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2010, 01:42 AM

Ya was worried about the dog too.

So is Mrs Greystone dead brother going to end up being a head character?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 23, 2010, 01:47 AM

I'm bummed that next episode is the midseason finale and no more episodes until the Fall.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 23, 2010, 02:15 AM

I'm bummed that next episode is the midseason finale and no more episodes until the Fall.
Oh god not that crap again! That's one fire way to lose a ton of your viewers!

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Mar 30, 2010, 08:35 PM

The finale was ok.

Anyone else notice another BSG actor in it plus who directed it (and did a really good job)?

Forum Links
Forum Rules