Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Aapl

Aapl (Page 6)
imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 20, 2010, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by sdilley14 View Post
I could see it reaching $300 around next quarter's earnings call, assuming the new iPhone does in fact come out this summer (and sells the way we all know it will) and we see continued success and development from the iPad (500k iPads so far is great, IMO). Throw in a Verizon annoucement and its almost a certainty.
$300 is probably a conservative figure IMHO. Between these new MacBook Pros, the next iPhone, iPad 3G, etc, stuff should be sky high, even compared to now.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2010, 05:31 PM

I wonder when it will come down again.

AAPL has a nasty habit of being cyclical. It is insanely great, then drops severely, and then is insanely great, and then drops severely. Very volatile, which is one reason I stick to index ETFs these days.

I won't get rich off of index ETFs, but I don't like the volatility of stocks like AAPL either, except just for fun as an Apple geek.

SVass
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post

AAPL has a nasty habit of being cyclical. It is insanely great, then drops severely, and then is insanely great, and then drops severely. Very volatile, which is one reason I stick to index ETFs these days.

I won't get rich off of index ETFs, but I don't like the volatility of stocks like AAPL either, except just for fun as an Apple geek.
Let me suggest allotting 5% or less to fun stocks which is what I have done. I bought 100 shares of AAPL in 1996 and have enjoyed the ride. I just sold 100 of the now 400 after splits last week.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2010, 06:00 PM

Sell here.
Buy here.

Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Sealobo
Apr 20, 2010, 06:39 PM

mo money!

I am getting a new car.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 20, 2010, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
mo money!

I am getting a new car.
Sick of the Bambino already?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 20, 2010, 11:24 PM

Well, that didn't last long. It ended after hours at $245 and change, which is less than $1 more than today's close, and actually well below yesterday's close of $247+.

Like I said, volatile.

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
Let me suggest allotting 5% or less to fun stocks which is what I have done. I bought 100 shares of AAPL in 1996 and have enjoyed the ride. I just sold 100 of the now 400 after splits last week.
Yeah, I do that from time to time. However, I tend to put all my extra cash into my mortgage. The money I consistently keep away from the mortgage include my pension money, my emergency fund, and my Apple gadget expenses (recently iMac Core i7 and 13" MBP, and iPhone 3G HD in a few months).

Sealobo
Apr 21, 2010, 12:48 AM

Well, that didn't last long. It ended after hours at $245 and change, which is less than $1 more than today's close, and actually well below yesterday's close of $247+.

Like I said, volatile.
the last trade was an exception, hence the weird closing evening price. it will open high up again pre-market today.

Brien
Professional Poster
Apr 21, 2010, 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by Sealobo View Post
mo money!

I am getting a new car.
You and I both. (Hopefully, just a few $k more)

Sealobo
Apr 21, 2010, 04:40 AM

Like i said... AAPL reopened at $257 pre-mkt just now.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 21, 2010, 09:26 AM

Gosh, $260 now.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 21, 2010, 12:07 PM

Keep wishing for that double-dipping recession, and you might just get it.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Godfather View Post
Keep wishing for that double-dipping recession, and you might just get it.
???

Not talking about the US economy in general, but specifically AAPL. As I said, AAPL is very volatile, even when the stock market at large isn't.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 21, 2010, 12:20 PM

2008 with AAPL in the $80 range is probably the best opportunity to get into or back into the stock until we see another financial crisis or Steve Jobs retires. . .

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Sealobo
Apr 22, 2010, 11:48 PM

by the end of this year, AAPL will have a net cash of about $50 per share.

Take that away from the current share price of $266... and assume there will only be a 20% YoY growth in EPS for the rest of the year (mind you EPS grew 90% in 10Q1), you have a P/E of 17.4

Let's say if EPS grows 50% in the next three quarters, P/E will become 14.8 and however unlikely, if P/E will maintain at current level (@ 26x).... share price will have to reach $380.

$300 is now seemingly possible. See you there.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Apr 22, 2010, 11:57 PM

No big deal.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone HD

Sealobo
Apr 23, 2010, 09:41 AM

$270

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Apr 23, 2010, 10:02 AM

Jesus Christ.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2010, 09:01 PM

Soooooo true! Thats been the story of this stock ever since the iPhone debuted. You really need to have a "long run" mentality with it and ride the roller coaster without panicking. Its a difficult (though not impossible) stock to make consistent short-term gains with
2.3 GHz Intel i5 MacBook Pro
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Andy8
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2010, 08:57 AM

Here is a neat comparison of what your AAPL stock would be worth now instead of buying that piece of Apple hardware:

What if I had bought Apple stock instead?

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2010, 09:10 AM

Man. That's... depressing.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

macaddict0001
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2010, 08:00 PM

I know, even the ibook g4-800 I bought would have netted me a healthy sum.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Apr 30, 2010, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
Man. That's... depressing.
No kidding…

That said, I’m still glad to have the shares I own, they’ve done very well over the 2 years I’ve had them.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2010, 06:35 PM

Yeah, but did you NEED a computer? Many of my purchases of late were not absolutely necessary, but some of my purchases earlier on were needed for me to do my regular work. If I didn't buy the Mac, I would have had to buy a PC anyway.

You can't invest ALL your money.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2010, 03:53 PM

WTF?!? The Dow all of a sudden dropped 1000 points, and then promptly regained half of that.

AAPL followed. At open it was around $254, dropped below $200 suddenly, and then promptly came back up to over $245. Weirdly, it is showing up with a daily high of $100000. I wonder if anyone sold at $100000, or if it's just a computer glitch. Can you imagine putting an asking price of $100000, and somebody actually filling that price?

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 6, 2010, 05:21 PM

What the heck? I'd really like someone to figure this out and explain it to me. I know major investors have ways of unloading large numbers of shares, driving down the price, then picking the shares back up at a discount, but I haven't seen anything this strange before.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 6, 2010, 05:22 PM

A company unloaded on the market?

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2010, 05:31 PM

CNNMoney.com Market Report - May. 6, 2010

In one of the most gut-wrenching hours in Wall Street history, the Dow plunged almost 1,000 points Thursday, before recovering some, on a technical glitch in the trading of Procter & Gamble stock and fears about the European debt crisis spreading.

The selling was exacerbated by the huge drop in Dow component Procter & Gamble (PG, Fortune 500). There may have been technical glitches which caused it to plunge 37% in minutes.

Markets Tumble Almost 4% on Greek Worries - NYTimes.com

In a moment of uncontrolled selling, major indexes fell nearly 9 percent. The Dow Jones industrial average tumbled more than 550 points in about five minutes, falling almost 1,000 points on the day. The Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index and the Nasdaq followed suit. Computer programs intensified the selloff as markets fell through trading limits.

And then, almost as quickly, the markets recovered most of the decline.

At the close, the Dow was down 347.80 or 3.2 percent, to 10,520.32. The S.&P. dropped 37.75 points, or 3.24 percent, to 1,128.15, and the Nasdaq was down 82.65 points, or 3.44 percent, to 2,319.64.

Such was the frenzy that one Dow component, Procter & Gamble, plunged from above $60 to $39.37 before bouncing back to close at $60.75, down about 2 percent on the day.

-----

P.S. After the close, AAPL is still showing a day high of $100000 at some places, but others have the daily high at $258.25. After hours trading has it at ~$242 right now.

The low is still $199.25, so there had to be lots of orders automatically executed to hit that. There are gonna be a ton of PO'd AAPL ex-owners if true.

Too bad I didn't have the 'nads to short AAPL when it hit $270, as I was actually considering it.

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 6, 2010, 06:02 PM

Wow. Its kinda scary to think a "technical glitch" can cause that sort of reaction. One would think there would be fail safe measures in place to prevent such "glitches".
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 6, 2010, 09:09 PM

Nasdaq to cancel trades | Reuters

Nasdaq Operations said it will cancel all trades executed between 2:40 p.m. to 3 p.m. showing a rise or fall of more than 60 percent from the last trade in that security at 2:40 p.m or immediately prior.

NYSE Arca to cancel multiple trades | Reuters

The New York Stock Exchange said on Thursday it would cancel all trades on its all-electronic trading platform NYSE Arca that were executed between 14:40 and 15:00 ET and that were more than 60 pct away from their last print at 14:40.
The move follows a similar decision by the Nasdaq after major U.S. indexes plunged 9.0 percent in afternoon trade before recovering to finish over 3.0 percent down. Traders suspect a trading glitch exacerbated the fall.

60%!!! That means those who bought AAPL at $200 probably get to keep their purchases. Not bad, a 20-25% return in a matter of minutes.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2010, 10:25 AM

Aapl < $235. (Almost hit $225.)

Volatile.
( Last edited by Eug; May 7, 2010 at 10:37 AM. )

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 7, 2010, 02:35 PM

Buy, buy, buy!!
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2010, 04:47 PM

WTF?!? The Dow all of a sudden dropped 1000 points, and then promptly regained half of that.
From what I understand, someone made a trading error when selling Procter & Gamble stock. Something ridiculously stupid that you'd think there'd be protections, but there aren't: the person hit a B instead of M and sold off billions.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2010, 06:05 PM

Who types in the word "billions" or "millions" when making a trade?

I would expect someone to have to type an extra 3 zeroes.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 7, 2010, 06:18 PM

Even so, its kinda weird to think that P&G stock alone could have such a sweeping effect on the entire market.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Lint Police
Dedicated MacNNer
May 7, 2010, 07:06 PM

Not a case of "fat fingers"

cause we're not quite "the fuzz"

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
May 7, 2010, 09:29 PM

Sounds like the market could use a couple Japanese peace lilies.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2010, 08:56 AM

So it sounds like this guy didn't put in a stop loss order that triggered. He just panicked. That's somewhat understandable I suppose though, and $224 is still a lot more than he paid for it, and not that much less than where AAPL is now ($235).

I wonder how much volume there was during that monster dip.

Dow Plunge Leaves Apple Investor Sorry Trade Stands (Update1) - Bloomberg.com

Mark Watson, an attorney, sold shares of Apple Inc. at 2:47 p.m. yesterday as the Dow Jones Industrial Average had its biggest intraday percentage decline since the market crash of October 1987.

“It just seemed like the end of the world was coming,” said Watson, 37, of Brick Township, New Jersey. “I would not have done it had I known there was some type of a technical error or glitch. Basically, I got screwed.”

Watson said he sold 26 shares of Apple, which he bought for $189 a share in 2007, at $223.99 yesterday. The stock regained value minutes later, closing down 3.8 percent at $246.25.

Nasdaq OMX Group Inc., owner of the exchange where Apple is traded, said it will cancel trades of 296 securities, including stocks and exchange-traded funds, that fell or rose more than 60 percent from their prices at 2:40 p.m. to 3 p.m. New York time, just before U.S. equities plummeted. Apple is not on the list of canceled trades.

-

Nasdaq said in a statement today there were no trading technology issues. The exchange said the cancellations were done according to its rules and the decision couldn’t be appealed.

-

“The effect of this volatility is that it’s going to be depressing,” Ariely said.

Watson, the investor who sold Apple stock, has put in an order to buy if the shares drop to $195, he said.

“I’m still scared,” he said. “Everything happened so quickly and I tried not to panic but I did.”

sdilley14
Mac Elite
May 8, 2010, 09:56 AM

It just seems a little crazy to me that you'd start unloading on a day like that where the entire market is plummeting. Unless the idea is to unload then buy back at the end of the day. You have to know, especially when there is so much loss in such a short period of time, that the recovery period is going to be relatively quick. Apple investors have to be used to this crazy volatility by now.
iPhone 4 - 16 GB - Black
8gb iPod Nano

Dork.
Professional Poster
May 8, 2010, 10:41 AM

To err is human, but to really **** things up takes a computer. This whole thing smells like a ton of trading algorithms all tugging on the rope at the same time, then letting go 10 minutes later. Some people just got very, very rich.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 8, 2010, 10:12 PM

26 shares? Heh. I have a lot more than that and until recently I had forgotten that I even had them.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2010, 02:19 PM

AAPL bigger than MSFT

Salty
Professional Poster
May 27, 2010, 02:22 AM

Bigger and sexier.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2010, 06:27 AM

Well, that's a coincidence. Note the time stamps (eastern standard time) of those two last posts.

MSFT closed at $219 billion yesterday. Apple closed at $222 billion.
( Last edited by Eug; May 27, 2010 at 06:45 AM. )

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2010, 08:36 AM

Well, that's a coincidence. Note the time stamps (eastern standard time) of those two last posts.

MSFT closed at $219 billion yesterday. Apple closed at $222 billion.
Eastern DAYLIGHT time

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 27, 2010, 09:03 AM

Yes, you are correct. EDT. Daylight savings came several weeks back.

Even bigger coincidence then?

Brien
Professional Poster
May 27, 2010, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
26 shares? Heh. I have a lot more than that and until recently I had forgotten that I even had them.
Same here, I bought mine back in the 1990's, and after all those splits I've got a ton of it.

The Godfather
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 6, 2010, 03:58 PM

All investors agreed on under valuing AAPL on Friday (from 261 to 256), but they will be sorry on Monday, as Steve will fail to disappoint!

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 06:50 AM

Ready for the post-keynote drop this afternoon?

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2010, 06:59 AM

^That's assuming there wont be one before the keynote. Market futures aren't pointing to a good day.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Forum Links
Forum Rules