Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > transfer files from old PC to new imac

transfer files from old PC to new imac
cuteimac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2010, 11:10 AM

Hello - first, at my work, I used to work on old PC for years, then the company brought many new imac as 21 inches. The outside tech picked up my old PC and they transfered all application program and files into a new imac, then come back and they put it on my desk and ready to go... I opened the OS program and new windows 7. The tech transfered all application as Adobe Photo Shop, Illustrator, Design, even MS Office from old PC into a new mac windows as everything look fine as same original things as PC before.... All softwares were stayed, not give it to the tech guy!

After four month later, I decided to purchase a new imac as 21 inches and use for my home. My PC is getting worn out anytime soon as shut down few times... that computer is 10 years old! I am trying to transfer all application programs and files into imac.... I installed the Parellel in Imac and I put the parellel's cable cord between PC and imac... only I can see all files, no application program as Adobe Photo Shop and MS Office....

Do I did wrong thing? Someone told me, need Ethernet Cable. But how can I look at and transfer file? Other person said, can't transfer the application programs into imac. My question is, how can the tech transfer my original applications from my PC at work to imac? I wish to ask the tech, but he work about 40 miles from large city.

Let me know soon as I am waiting to transfer the application program to imac...

Thanks,
Richard

SVass
Mac Elite
May 4, 2010, 03:16 PM

I recommend buying an external 100 gigabyte or so external drive (with a usb/firewire connection), formatting it as a pc boot disk, and copying your entire old hard drive to it. This can serve as a a transfer device and/or be used in the future to back up your files. Your macintosh can read everything on the disk.
sam

cuteimac  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2010, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by SVass View Post
I recommend buying an external 100 gigabyte or so external drive (with a usb/firewire connection), formatting it as a pc boot disk, and copying your entire old hard drive to it. This can serve as a a transfer device and/or be used in the future to back up your files. Your macintosh can read everything on the disk.
sam
Hi Sam - Thank for explain this information. Hmm, will the windows XP, other application program come into external 100 GB with usb/firewire connection as a pc boot disk.. sound interesting.. so all will work? Mac can read this from an external hard drive, not in mac's hard drive, right?

Let me know.
Richard

SVass
Mac Elite
May 6, 2010, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cuteimac View Post
Hi Sam - Thank for explain this information. Hmm, will the windows XP, other application program come into external 100 GB with usb/firewire connection as a pc boot disk.. sound interesting.. so all will work? Mac can read this from an external hard drive, not in mac's hard drive, right?
Let me know. Richard
I normally format USB thumb drives as Fat32 so I can download from PCs and later transfer the files (pictures, music, etc.) to my Mac.
My daughter got a pc formatted drive loaded with 100 GB of music from a friend and reads/transfers them to her Mac Book. PCs can not read Macintosh formats. Macs can read disks formatted for pcs. sam

Doc HM
Professional Poster
May 6, 2010, 05:50 PM

The only sticking point is normally email. Most PC users are happy in Outlook land. Outlook however has no intention of talking ot any other email application. The only realistic route is to pre prepare your email by switching from Outlook to Thunderbird on the PC before you migrate. Thunderbird CAN import all your Outlook mail. Once you move your mail to the Mac you can import from Thunderbird to Apple Mail.

Of course if you are smart and are using gmail or any other IMAP accounts then it's all gravy. POP is still depressingly common though.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
May 7, 2010, 04:12 PM

Although you said your Home iMac uses Parallels for the Windows partition, you didn't say what is used
for the office iMac. Is it also Parallels or is it bootcamp? Are you certain the same exact apps transferred from the old PC
to the bootcamp or Parallels on the new iMac? Maybe the company had all the software and just new installed it on
the new iMac Parallels or Bootcamp partition. Windows 7 has easy transfer, but like the Parallels migration tool, it also
does not transfer the Applications either.

Forum Links
Forum Rules