Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Quicktime .avi files

Quicktime .avi files
bodhimind
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 06:04 AM

Hi All,
I'm trying to get my avi files to run on my iMac without much success. I'm being directed to the apple components web page upon trying to run my .avi movies. However I have no clue which component to install. I've installed a couple that sound like they might help with the compression issues and have also downloaded divx6 for mac. None of which has helped. I still get no picture when trying to open a .avi file. Can anyone help out? Is there a download that will solve this for me?
Cheers

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 06:27 AM

Open the movie window (Window->Movie Info) and tell us what video codec the movie uses. If it's Indeo, then it can not be played on Mac OS X. If it is something else, we might be able to point you to the right codec download.

bodhimind  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 06:47 AM

Should have mentioned I've done a bit of reading and realise that indeo doesn't work on OSX.

Format on one of the movies is: DX50, 576 x 320, Millions
Format on another one is: DIVX, 320 x 240, Millions
Format on another one is: DIV3, 400 x 256, Millions MPEG Layer 3, Mono, 44.100 kHz
Format on another one is: XVID, 512 x 384, Millions MPEG Layer 3, Stereo, 44.100 kHz

All display white background...

Format on another one is: IV50, 320 x 240, Millions - which I think is Indeo?

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Richard1
Format on one of the movies is: DX50, 576 x 320, Millions
Format on another one is: DIVX, 320 x 240, Millions
Format on another one is: DIV3, 400 x 256, Millions MPEG Layer 3, Mono, 44.100 kHz
Format on another one is: XVID, 512 x 384, Millions MPEG Layer 3, Stereo, 44.100 kHz

All display white background...
Those are all DivX and can be played in QuickTime Player once you have installed the DivX codec (you don't have to pay for this, see the very bottom of the page).

http://www.divx.com/divx/mac/

There is a beta for Intel Macs:

http://labs.divx.com/LatestMacCodec

Alternatively you could use VLC Player which is a separate player which plays these and many other video formats.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

Originally Posted by Richard1
Format on another one is: IV50, 320 x 240, Millions - which I think is Indeo?
This is Indeo Video 5. It can not be played on OS X. You need to convert this video into another format on either OS 9 (or Classic) or Windows.

bodhimind  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 8, 2006, 08:15 AM

Thank you! I downloaded the VLC player which works great. I'd already installed divx - Must've been the non-Intel version

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 8, 2006, 09:35 AM

Yes, if you are on an Intel Mac you need to download that beta version of the DivX codec.

Forum Links
Forum Rules