Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 134)
Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar V View Post
My PM box is full.
You're so popular.

Teabagging sek is AMAZING,
Fine, you win that one.

None. There's always one impossible or time consuming achievement on every game (That I play).
This is the one thing I like better about PS3 Trophies: the Platinum trophy. If you complete every single one of the ridiculously tough trophies, you get the platinum trophy, the number of which you see represented in people's profiles.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2009, 06:27 PM

Teabagging sek is AMAZING,
It's my soft chin.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 12:03 PM

Bethesda's parent company, Zenimax, has acquired id software.

Bethesda parent company buys id Software

Doom 4 with VATS? joke

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
It's my soft chin.
Feels like you moisturize.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
How many games have you guys played where you acquired every single achievement?
Just one - Superman Returns

I'm working on getting 100% on Ghostbusters right now and will have 100% on Halo 3 when the 2nd Mythic pack is released in the fall.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 12:52 PM

I've also only gotten all of Fallout 3 achievements. I came close with Halo 3 before they added a ton more.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 01:00 PM

Not counting DLC, I'm one shy on Bioshock (Beat the game on Hard, not gonna do it again), 2 bullshit achievements shy on Burnout (Excuse me, I need to have a webcam?!), 1 shy on Fable II (Collect dolls – requires other people), and 3 shy on Gears 2 (The impossible 100,000 kills, wingman multi, and 1999 rounds played (I'll beat that one eventually)).

If I like a game and the multiplayer achievements aren't entirely luck based or incredibly difficult, I'll usually come through.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 02:15 PM

100,000 kills ain't difficult, just time consuming. Just go ride the Brumack over & over again. It's those new ranking achievements that will prevent me from getting 100% on Gow2. There's no way I'm making it to level 100.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
100,000 kills ain't difficult, just time consuming. Just go ride the Brumack over & over again. It's those new ranking achievements that will prevent me from getting 100% on Gow2. There's no way I'm making it to level 100.
Without boosting, stogie, without boosting.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 02:33 PM

That's not boosting. That's just being more efficient.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
Just one - Superman Returns
You must reeeeeeally like Superman...or have a sado-masochistic streak in you.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 02:56 PM

He's become a little obsessed.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 03:43 PM

How many games have you guys played where you acquired every single achievement?
Call of Duty 4 and Need For Speed: Most Wanted but..
i have over the 80/85% range is like 5/6 games (annoying online achievements/etc are holding me back in most)

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 03:49 PM

Yeah, that's why I have mixed feelings on online achievements. If you buy an old game you may be only given an opportunity to get half the games achievements. I'm not sure if there's a solution though; Do you differentiate between them somehow, or limit how many points/what % of gamerscore they can be? Its requires more thought than its worth.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2009, 04:00 PM

Yeah, that's why I have mixed feelings on online achievements. If you buy an old game you may be only given an opportunity to get half the games achievements. I'm not sure if there's a solution though; Do you differentiate between them somehow, or limit how many points/what % of gamerscore they can be? Its requires more thought than its worth.
Unless a game is online only, I think achievements should only come from single player.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 04:03 PM

What about games that feature local multiplayer support (such as Rockband) or co-op available on local or live?

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2009, 04:07 PM

What about games that feature local multiplayer support (such as Rockband) or co-op available on local or live?
Hated those achievements even more. I think my Rock Band score is around 400 points (for 1, not 2) because the majority of their achievements came from the World Tour mode, which was only available locally with 2+ players. I *never* play that way - I'm either solo or playing online. So even though I played the crap out of that game, my achievement score was capped.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 25, 2009, 04:18 PM

I'm with you on the Rock Band stuff. As for multi vs single, I'm not sure I like the idea of zero achieves, but I wouldn't mind a limiting multi to something like 20% of the achieves or 200 gs.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2009, 08:07 PM

I'm okay with SOME online achievements but i hate
"kill 10000 people with a sniper rifle while its raining and your crouched, like a boss"

COD4 Could of used a FEW achievements, like one worth 50 for Prestige mode or something like that, but other than that, leave it alone.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2009, 09:25 PM

Welcome to the party. Did/Do you have some other system?
I've had the first Xbox and a Gamecube and N64. Oh, my gamertag is AckbarsFist.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 12:05 PM

Kotaku - THQ Working On Their Own Controller-Based Game - Thq
I think we can see where the industry thinks things are going. Apparently they can't parse the fact that a peripheral based console that sells well doesn't necessarily mean people will buy peripherals for any game on any console.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 12:57 PM

A deep analysis of the Sony's PS3 strategy this generation.

The pattern is clear: instead of relying on established properties these key Sony partners were granted the opportunity to create completely new, top-tier franchises for the PlayStation 3. These were games the competition could never have, ones exclusively owned by Sony. These were the games heavily promoted by Sony across the media, from television to multiple features on its PlayStation blog. These were, one suspects, the games Sony hoped would be system-sellers.

One could say that comparing Microsoft's and Nintendo's biggest hits to Sony's games is unfair. However, the issue is quite simple: Of Sony's biggest software ventures of the past three years, which have been as successful as Microsoft's on the Xbox 360 or Nintendo's on the Wii? Even adjusting for the installed bases, Sony's hits on the PlayStation 3 simply aren't of the same magnitude as those of its competition on their respective platforms.
The games that have sold well on the PlayStation 3 are almost all sequels.
As much as the PS3 has underperformed this generation, its still in relative striking distance of the 360 (and I believe it was trending slightly better than the 360 in its first two years, prior to 2009). I'm still not sold that things will stay this "bad" once the final two big franchises (GT: 5 and FFXIII) finally drop and the last of the fencesitters choose their side.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2009, 11:32 PM

Isnt the PS3 just a couple of million shy of the 360 in terms of worldwide installed base ? That's impressive imo, considering the fact that the PS3 retails for more and that the 360 had a year head start.

Despite popular opinion of the PS3 and 360....If the trend continues(which is think it will) i think the XB360 will probably be the looser this generation (in terms of sales, revenue, profit and market-share).

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2009, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Isnt the PS3 just a couple of million shy of the 360 in terms of worldwide installed base ? That's impressive imo, considering the fact that the PS3 retails for more and that the 360 had a year head start.
It depends on how you measure. The Xbox is bending the PS3 over and making it play dress-up in the American market. But the Japanese are fiercely loyal to Sony, so the PS3 is winning over there. Overall, it does not seem that likely to me that the PS3 will overtake the Xbox unless there's some major shift.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2009, 12:13 PM

I just discovered that these "thrift" shops that my wife has been buying furniture from have recently acquired about $400 from her in exchange for these "cheap" pieces of furniture. She was trying to play it off as being extremely inexpensive, and we keep separate checking accounts, so there was no way for me to know.

I wonder what I could buy for $400...

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 01:11 PM

i think the XB360 will probably be the looser this generation (in terms of sales, revenue, profit and market-share).
All 4 huh? I'm sure you've studied the numbers thoroughly to back-up such a wild, broad claim.

Please, try to keep your obvious trolling more interesting. It sounds like something an analyst or fanboy stuck in their little cave devoid of sunlight might predict.
( Last edited by Dakar V; Jun 29, 2009 at 01:39 PM. )

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 01:12 PM

Hulu cock-blocks the PS3.
http://kotaku.com/5303207/that-hulu-...ur-ps3-wont-do

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/27/mi...avatar-awards/

---

I just discovered that these "thrift" shops that my wife has been buying furniture from have recently acquired about $400 from her in exchange for these "cheap" pieces of furniture. She was trying to play it off as being extremely inexpensive, and we keep separate checking accounts, so there was no way for me to know.

I wonder what I could buy for $400...
A crappy divorce attorney?

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 04:08 PM

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 04:37 PM

Pardon the quadruple post.

Kotaku - In Defense Of The Classic Controller - Project Natal

"Would ICO be better if you had to stand up and yell and hold out your arm all the time?" he asks. "Going the other direction… is raise-your-left-hand-and-shake-it any more meaningful or accessible than push-the-triangle-button?"

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 29, 2009, 04:48 PM

A great illustration: Mega64: Ico
Chuck
___

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 29, 2009, 06:46 PM

All 4 huh? I'm sure you've studied the numbers thoroughly to back-up such a wild, broad claim.

Please, try to keep your obvious trolling more interesting. It sounds like something an analyst or fanboy stuck in their little cave devoid of sunlight might predict.
Says the moron(s) who gets every one of his idiotic predications wrong time and time again (probably due to lack of sunlight in his parent's basement). I guess some people will always be losers that way, being 'deemed' as a hardcore-fanboy-gamer, is probably all they have left to hold onto (hence the quad posts).

Get a life, and a clue about the industry.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2009, 09:30 PM

Says the moron(s) who gets every one of his idiotic predications wrong time and time again (probably due to lack of sunlight in his parent's basement). I guess some people will always be losers that way, being 'deemed' as a hardcore-fanboy-gamer, is probably all they have left to hold onto (hence the quad posts).

Are you serious?

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2009, 01:17 AM

The only more irritating thing than the fact that Hulu won't work on the PS3's browser anymore is the fact that it never crossed my mind to try it until I read this story.

A crappy divorce attorney?
Are you kidding me? Harold Davis III (The Man with the Cane™) is the best lawyer in Northwestern Louisiana, and his billboard says that HE is looking out for ME.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 30, 2009, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Are you serious?
I feel awkward. Anyone else?

It's like when you are having a nice, quiet dinner with friends, and then all of a sudden two people at the table next to you start screaming at each other.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2009, 06:26 AM

I feel awkward. Anyone else?

It's like when you are having a nice, quiet dinner with friends, and then all of a sudden two people at the table next to you start screaming at each other.
Nah, it's more like a quiet dinner with family when the weird uncle has too much to drink and makes an ass of himself.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2009, 11:39 AM

Other things fanboys do:

• Get overly emotional
• Call other people names
• Don't post facts to back-up their statements

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jun 30, 2009, 11:40 AM

Let's get back to the system-discussing and less of the personal bickering, OK?
Chuck
___

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2009, 11:45 AM

The only more irritating thing than the fact that Hulu won't work on the PS3's browser anymore is the fact that it never crossed my mind to try it until I read this story.
You weak, pathetic fool.

---

http://kotaku.com/5304217/ea-launche...ew-ips-in-2008

It's sad but true. I imagine the new trend that has emerged since the PS2 is sequels consistently outselling the originals, thanks to refinement and name recognition.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2009, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Chuckit View Post
Let's get back to the system-discussing and less of the personal bickering, OK?
Perhaps the intent of my post wasn't clear – I'd like him to post (cited) facts instead of insults.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 30, 2009, 01:58 PM

The news appears to be hitting late today:

New NPD Group report defines Extreme Gamers - Ars Technica

What does it mean to be an "Extreme Gamer?" The report explains that "Extreme Gamers play an average of 39 hours a week, which is 10 hours more than the next highest segment in terms of hours played, Avid PC Gamers. Purchasing 24 titles throughout Q4 2008, Extreme Gamers purchased more than six times the number of games compared to any other segment." 24 games in a single quarter? Yikes.
God, even Bogues doesn't qualify. These guys couldn't possibly make up more than 1% of gamers.

Gamasutra - News - Analysis: Playing As The Enemy

HP is the benchmark of challenge. Monsters must have more and more HP in order to present more of a challenge. HP is less a way for monsters to survive and more a tangible goal for the players to accomplish. The core of RPG gameplay (or really, any game that involves fighting) is to hit this allotted goal of damage before you run out of resources. Challenge and tension depend on this sort of distinctive enemy design.
Included merely because it cites my favorite game growing up, Final Fantasy Legend.

Review: The Conduit

When it's eventually bargain priced, it may be worth taking a peek at, if only to see how the Wiimote is implemented. But for now, if you've got the whole scope of the gaming landscape to choose from, it's pretty hard to recommend.
The last review I'll post on the game. The reviews have been similar ; Great FPS – for the Wii.

Kotaku - Sega Still Keen On Mature Wii Games - Madworld

"House of the Dead: Overkill was a profitable title for us...Whilst it had a rather sharp tail at full price, they do bubble away at a lower price point for a long time. You get your money back and a bit on full price, but over the years, if we do the final product return on investment, profits come from the lower price point."
I have to say, I don't see why what I said for EAs new IPs couldn't apply here too. Release a sequel, now you have some more brand recognition, and maybe more people will pick it up.

Sony may bring backwards compatibility back to PS3, PS3 Slim - Ars Technica

So what does this mean? It could mean a few things, including PS2 games sold directly to consumers through the PlayStation Network. Siliconera raises an even juicier idea though: it's possible that when the PS3 Slim launches later this year, it will arrive with full, software-based backwards compatibility.
Truthfully, I don't see myself using the PS3 to do PS2 games, but its a nice extra incentive to have when trying to justify the purchase to yourself.

Edit: Speaking of late breaking...
http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/30/ru...ing-contracts/

Assuming the news is true, it would mesh well with the PS3 Slim rumors we've heard so far, most notably that Ars Technica expected the units to hit the market in August or September. Add this to the string of rumors and leaks -- even some purported images of the unit itself -- and the PS3 Slim looks like it could be hitting the ground sooner rather than later.
( Last edited by Dakar V; Jun 30, 2009 at 02:11 PM. )

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by klb5090 View Post
COD4 Could of used a FEW achievements, like one worth 50 for Prestige mode or something like that, but other than that, leave it alone.
They did have 2 secret achievements for COD WaW for getting Prestige mode, but they were worth 0 pts each. I think one for level 5 prestige and 1 for level 10 prestige. That takes way too long and hence why I don't have 100% completion on it, but I do have 100% of the achievement points.

I'm sure they'll add in some online achievements for Modern Warfare 2.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2009, 06:20 PM

Well my Wii owning buddy has been getting the itch for a new game lately (maybe cuz all he owns are bullsh!t party games) and he has been playing Nazi Zombies on my 360 all week with me.

I didn't even know Word at War was a Wii title, but apparently it is.... with no co-op mutiplayer and no Nazi Zombies...

Poor guy, I told him to get Conduit because it'll probably be the only Wii game worth getting right now but he lamented that he'd rather save up to buy a 360 instead.

I said it once, and I'll beat the horse some more....the Wii is pathetic, and people who game out for serious won't touch it. Nintendo can have their success, I'm to busy being ass-deep in amazing games that don't get truncated.

I'm picky, and after this year my game library will read as such.

Halo 3
Halo ODST
Forza 2
Forza 3
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
FEAR
Orange Box
Condemned 2
GTA IV
RSV 1
RSV 2
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
L4D
L4D2
Fallout 3 (with 5 DLC packs)
Call of Duty: WaW
Call of Duty MW 2
and of course Burnout Paradise.

20 games, something I've never even come close to on any other system

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 1, 2009, 06:50 PM

So you don't trade in games? I only own 5 games right now - L4D, Fallout 3, Halo 3, GTA4, COD4. I'm borrowing COD:WaW and GoW2. I trade in as much as I can.

klb5090
Mac Elite
Jul 1, 2009, 09:51 PM

just for reference

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2009, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
So you don't trade in games? I only own 5 games right now - L4D, Fallout 3, Halo 3, GTA4, COD4. I'm borrowing COD:WaW and GoW2. I trade in as much as I can.
I don't trade in ever, and I'm not sure why. Right now I have 40 XBox 360 games and 4 PS3 games.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jul 1, 2009, 11:00 PM

I never sell my games or systems. I love going back to play old classics on the proper controllers.

Unfortunately the shelf-life of modern systems is far below the Genesis, SNES and N64.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Yeah, absolutely not. I don't feel they give you a good value and this feeling is corroborated by the fact that their used prices are terrible in comparison to new prices (The difference is usually $5, maybe $10 dollars) and that they make twice the margin on used games vs. new ones.

I haven't bought a single game at GameStop this gen.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 10:58 AM

Well my Wii owning buddy has been getting the itch for a new game lately (maybe cuz all he owns are bullsh!t party games) and he has been playing Nazi Zombies on my 360 all week with me.

I didn't even know Word at War was a Wii title, but apparently it is.... with no co-op mutiplayer and no Nazi Zombies...

Poor guy, I told him to get Conduit because it'll probably be the only Wii game worth getting right now but he lamented that he'd rather save up to buy a 360 instead.

I said it once, and I'll beat the horse some more....the Wii is pathetic, and people who game out for serious won't touch it. Nintendo can have their success, I'm to busy being ass-deep in amazing games that don't get truncated.

I'm picky, and after this year my game library will read as such.

Halo 3
Halo ODST
Forza 2
Forza 3
Bioshock
Bioshock 2
FEAR
Orange Box
Condemned 2
GTA IV
RSV 1
RSV 2
Gears of War
Gears of War 2
L4D
L4D2
Fallout 3 (with 5 DLC packs)
Call of Duty: WaW
Call of Duty MW 2

20 games, something I've never even come close to on any other system
8 exclusives, 12 multi-platform (estimated). Not bad.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2009, 11:23 AM

Yeah, absolutely not. I don't feel they give you a good value and this feeling is corroborated by the fact that their used prices are terrible in comparison to new prices (The difference is usually $5, maybe $10 dollars) and that they make twice the margin on used games vs. new ones.

I haven't bought a single game at GameStop this gen.
I buy tons of used games at Gamestop. For me, the $10 savings is worth it. I don't give a crap what they offer on trade ins, nor what their margin is. They're a business and they have to make money, and if it saves me some cash in the process all the better for me.

Dakar V
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 2, 2009, 11:26 AM

Yes, you and I have had this conversation before. You don't care if you're getting ripped off, I do. Principle vs. Practicality.

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
They're a business and they have to make money
This is really weak reasoning, by the way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules