Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Convert seeking advise

Convert seeking advise
coma-one
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2005, 05:59 PM

I am a soon to be MAC convert, I have haggled and struggled with the PC platform for years, sick of the windows lack of stability , I have decided to make the switch to the dark side .
Here's my dilema, I am a moderate user, no heavy photo imaging or movie editing so a full blown tower is not for me. I went to the apple store and checked a few models out there, I am undecided between an imac G5 17" or a Mac Mini

here's the break down:

Mac Mini 1.42
KB
Mouse
LCD
USB Hub

......about $1062 delivered

iMac G5 17" refurb $1197 delivered

My main concern is the display, I can get a Princeton 19" for less than $350 how do these compare? I am also looking at future upgrades of the mini, speculation is that apple might upgrade the mini to a better processor? video card? larger hard drives? Another beef I have with the mini is the lack of external upgradability, only 2 USB's and 1 Firewire?

What are your thought, and take it easy on me I'm a mac noob

MichiganRich
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 01:53 AM

I've said it before in another topic - I think that Apple knows that the iMac becomes a direct competitor for Mac mini dollars, as soon as you figure in buying the stuff that you're talking about. If you had a nice big LCD already, and a KB/Mouse combo that you liked (and wasn't too grimy to pair with a spanky new machine), the mini would be very attractive. If you're thinking about getting all that stuff new anyway, you would be better off long-term with the iMac, IMHO. The iMac has a more robust processor, a faster system bus, a much better hard drive (serial ATA), and many other honest-to-goodness better hardware specs than the mini.

God, I'll be glad when the mini isn't so new and 'hot', and people will start to look rationally at the Mac hardware offerings. Is it beefy enough for you?.... are there better options dollar-for-dollar?.....

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 10:24 AM

I was in the same situation as you (except I've been a Mac user - I'm referring to the Mini vs. iMac thing) but here's what I chose. First, I knew I wanted Bluetooth either way to use a Bluetooth mouse/KB. Because of this, I'd end up BUYING a new mouse/KB in either instance. If you have to add items and such to your Mini purchase, you are honestly way better off going w/ the iMac. I chose the 20" iMac w/ Bluetooth and couldn't be happier. I use Photoshop & Final Cut, so the G5 chip was another huge plus for me.

In all seriousness I think you should go for the iMac. The fact that you get a G5 processor (escp. w/ Tiger around the corner that'll take advantage of that 64-bit processor) is a HUGE advantage. Plus, you get 2 RAM slots so it's easier/cheaper to upgrade RAM, and you get a bigger, and way faster, hard drive. Plus, you get a GORGEOUS display. Apple's LCDs are wonderful on their iMacs, and you can even use the VGA-out to push another display if you choose (use the screen spanning hack). When the prices are that close, you should definitely choose the more powerful machine. You'll get things done faster, and it'll last longer into the future before it needs replacing. Good luck!
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 10, 2005, 10:36 AM

Learn to spell advice.

I'd get hte imac if you can afford it. It's much faster, has a MUCH better video card (which is sitll crap), much faster bus, hard drive, etc.

- Ca$h

Randman
Posting Junkie
Feb 10, 2005, 11:11 AM

Cash is an idiot, ignore him (Rob, learn British spelling before you spout off.

One thing not to ignore is ram. Ram is your friend. Get as much as you can, it's worth it.

Might want to look at refurbs. They have the warranty and often you get more than what's advertised.

Also, lots of people are selling rev b and rev c PowerBooks. Might get a bargain that way as well.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

f1000
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 12:47 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
One thing not to ignore is ram. Ram is your friend.

My friend, Ram.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 10, 2005, 03:18 PM

Welcome to MacNN, coma! Hope you enjoy your stay. Please don't hesitate coming here again in the future with more questions. Mac users are quite religious about the Mac and will gladly answer any of your Mac-related questions

discotronic
Mac Elite
Feb 10, 2005, 04:26 PM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist:
Learn to spell advice.

I'd get hte imac if you can afford it. It's much faster, has a MUCH better video card (which is sitll crap), much faster bus, hard drive, etc.

- Ca$h
Learn to spell the.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 10, 2005, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by discotronic:
Learn to spell the.
There's a difference between mistyping and not spelling something correctly.

- Rob

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 10, 2005, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by Randman:
(Rob, learn British spelling before you spout off.
Learn to use parenthesis correctly before you tell me what to do, chump.

MacGallant
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 10, 2005, 08:07 PM

Coma, I could see your dilemma. I would choose the Mac mini, If you already own a keyboard, mouse and Monitor-- just get a kvm switch to share your devices between your Mac and Windows box. You don't have to "switch," you could use both platforms, just stack the mini on top of the Windows box. The Mac mini is really aimed as a second or addon computer for people.

If you don't mind being stuck with the built-in monitor of the iMac G5, go for it; but the Mac mini allows for freedom of monitor choice. The iMac G5 has a better processor, it has a better GPU and more vram (64mb vs mini's 32mb), it's 64bit, allows for more ram (4GB total), has better bus speed, it is almost 100% user servicable (Apple allows you to repair and replace many parts yourself without voiding warranty) and is the future of the Mac platform.
PowerMacG4 MDD Dual867Mhz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
2GB Ram, 128mb Radeon 9800 Pro, 80GB HD & 160GB HD
MacBook Black: Core2Duo 2.2Ghz, MacOSX 10.5.5 Leopard
4GB Ram & 250GB HD

Londor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2005, 11:50 PM

British and American English

Advice - noun

Advise - verb

Therefore it was misspelled.

Maybe I know this because I am Spanish. I never understood why British/American people are not taught English grammar and spelling at school.

Captain Egotist
Banned
Feb 11, 2005, 01:31 AM

Originally posted by Londor:
British and American English

Advice - noun

Advise - verb

Therefore it was misspelled.

Maybe I know this because I am Spanish. I never understood why British/American people are not taught English grammar and spelling at school.
I don't understand why British people cannot pronounce 'schedule' or spell 'color' correctly.

Londor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 02:13 AM

Originally posted by Captain Egotist
I don't understand why British people cannot pronounce 'schedule' or spell 'color' correctly.
Just let me remind you that people were speaking english on this side of the Atlantic well before anyone did it in America . So I would say it is the other way round.

tntracy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 11, 2005, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by MichiganRich:
<snip>
If you had a nice big LCD already, and a KB/Mouse combo that you liked (and wasn't too grimy to pair with a spanky new machine), the mini would be very attractive. If you're thinking about getting all that stuff new anyway, you would be better off long-term with the iMac, IMHO. The iMac has a more robust processor, a faster system bus, a much better hard drive (serial ATA), and many other honest-to-goodness better hardware specs than the mini.
<snip>
Very good advice, IMHO...

Tom

Forum Links
Forum Rules