Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Just got a nice new phone :)

Just got a nice new phone :)
Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2003, 02:11 PM

Just thought I should let everyone know that I just got a t68i. Heck everyone goes on about how wonderful they are, so I thought I'd try to get one. And I did
One word describes this phone:
Lovely!
The screen, keypad and size are simply the best. Just need a nice USB Bluetooth adaptor
You can sleep easily at night now ...
we don't have time to stop for gas

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Mar 8, 2003, 02:32 PM

Then you need to try out "Sony Ericsson Clicker". Its is excellent!

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by PeterClark2002:
I just got a t68i.

Peter,

Just curious, I've heard from a couple of other people here and have read the reviews at Amazon. One complaint I keep hearing is the phone's responsiveness to key presses is slow and making calls can be a little cumbersome compared to other phones. Have you found this to be the case with yours?

Thanks,

Joel

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by joelcpa:
Peter,

Just curious, I've heard from a couple of other people here and have read the reviews at Amazon. One complaint I keep hearing is the phone's responsiveness to key presses is slow and making calls can be a little cumbersome compared to other phones.
Woops. I guess my other post is a little late. But yeah, I noticed that. Very annoying. I had to remember to do everything slowly. Funny thing is that I wanted to like the phone so much, that I was even willing to live with this. It's the other things I listed that were deal-breakers.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2003, 03:22 PM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:
Then you need to try out "Sony Ericsson Clicker". Its is excellent!

http://homepage.mac.com/jonassalling/Shareware/Clicker/
I am going to download that as soon as I purchase a bluetooth module

Peter,

Just curious, I've heard from a couple of other people here and have read the reviews at Amazon. One complaint I keep hearing is the phone's responsiveness to key presses is slow and making calls can be a little cumbersome compared to other phones. Have you found this to be the case with yours?

Thanks,

Joel
to be honest I have only had the phone 1-2 hours and I havn't realy used it too much. But so far it all feels lovely
Its the nicest phone I have ever seen or used.

DAlex
Mar 8, 2003, 04:09 PM

Hey snap! I just got two, one each for me and the missus.....and the dlink bluetooth adapter!

Get one, it works really well, isync rocks with it and just don't get me started on the sony ericsson clicker (put it this way, I've already paid for it!)

Try out Themedit (versiontracker) it is a neat way to personalise your T68i.

DAlex
( Last edited by DAlex; Mar 8, 2003 at 04:20 PM. )

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2003, 04:42 PM

Originally posted by DAlex:
Hey snap! I just got two, one each for me and the missus.....and the dlink bluetooth adapter!

Get one, it works really well, isync rocks with it and just don't get me started on the sony ericsson clicker (put it this way, I've already paid for it!)

Try out Themedit (versiontracker) it is a neat way to personalise your T68i.

DAlex
I am going to buy the bluetooth later in the week.
I've found an awesome screensaver of Ralph Wiggum eating cookies.
One question, I have a screensaver the screensaver shows for a while then a clock appears! How can I stop the clock from showing?

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2003, 04:43 PM

Peter,

Thanks,

Joel
Yes that is true but the phone is still worth getting.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
I couldn't decide between a P800 or a t68i. The P800 was -
an extra �150, whereas t68i was free
large
doesn't work with apps like 'Sony Ericsson Clicker'
1/2 the features are usless for a student
dislike the colour
I am still in awe at how small the t68i is! It swamps my Nokia 5210 ...

Socially Awkward Solo
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2003, 08:59 PM

The P800 is incredible as a Phone, and a good PDA. The only downside is the cost and size.

"Laugh it up, fuzz ball!"

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 8, 2003, 11:07 PM

One question, I have a screensaver the screensaver shows for a while then a clock appears! How can I stop the clock from showing?
That's not cookies he's eating, it's paste.

As for the clock, I don't believe you can turn it off because it's part of the firmware.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 05:44 AM

Originally posted by Stogieman:
That's not cookies he's eating, it's paste.

As for the clock, I don't believe you can turn it off because it's part of the firmware.
Thats the image! I saw that ages ago and just knew I had to get a phone with a screensaver so I could have a cool one like that hehehe that is such a cool screensaver. Shame about the clock though, guess it doesn't matter that much.
Also, just found out you can download themes which is neat, never knew about them.

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Mar 9, 2003, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Socially Awkward Solo:
Since I will be using this phone to actually make calls, it sounds like the slow key responses and dialing difficulties will be a problem. I'm not looking for a toy, but a phone I can actually use.

ngrundy
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 9, 2003, 12:37 PM

I reacently got myself a t68i, a BT adaptor and also purchased the clicker. Absolutly love it. Just for the ablility to look up my uni timetable and general to do lists without having to get the laptop out is brilliant.

I personaly don't see what the problem is with the menu speeds, it is the same if not faster than my previous phone a nokia 3310. But then again I don't get the entire snappyness(tm) c**p that people keep on going on about.
1Ghz Powerbook
40gb/1x512mb/combo/T68i
FireRAID 1 Host Independant Hotswap RAID 1 (80gb)

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by ngrundy:

I personaly don't see what the problem is with the menu speeds, it is the same if not faster than my previous phone a nokia 3310. But then again I don't get the entire snappyness(tm) c**p that people keep on going on about.
I dont see how menus can be slow or fast on a phone. The menus just appear :|

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 03:39 PM

I dont see how menus can be slow or fast on a phone. The menus just appear :|
You will soon. When searching for some names you will see that it takes a second to show up or respond to your clicks sometimes.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
You will soon. When searching for some names you will see that it takes a second to show up or respond to your clicks sometimes.
hmph. I dont think anything can put me off this phone, and the good thing is this phone will get alot lot better later in the week when I buy a Bluetooth adapter yay
At the moment I am having to send images IRDA on a winblows laptop ...

agentz
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 04:33 PM

The guy in the office next to me has a T68 upgraded with the 'i' software. He's got the DLink bluetooth adapter and it totally rocks, I made him go get Sony Ericsson Clicker on Friday and he thinks it rocks even more than the phone/bluetooth/iBook put together!

The only problem is that the's just gone and got himself a P800 - absolutely lovely judging from the pics he just emailed me, but it doesn't integrate as well with OSX as the T68 does becuase its based on Symbian 7 (??) and they haven't quite got the software sorted yet. Still, a damn nice phone - god I'm going to be sooo jealous tomorrow morning!
MI5 doesn't do evil. Just treachery, treason and armageddon.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2003, 04:39 PM

I have the T68i too, and I love it. The only thing more that I could possibly ask from it is polyphonic rings so that I could get full instrumentation in my Imperial March ringtone.

What's the deal with themes? I haven't figured that bit out yet.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 04:49 PM

From what I have done you can send your t68i menu themes. They change the colours and images, there are some nice OS X ones too Just send them to your phone and it does the rest, then you select the one you want.
Does anyone have a usb bluetooth module? if so what model do you have working with OS X.2.4? anyone got this one?

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 04:55 PM

I am going to buy the bluetooth later in the week.
hehe.

Congratz on the phone Peter! Nice. I'll prolly be right behind you w/ a T68i myself. It seems to be calling me, and I'll just stare at the T610 all year if I don't have something to keep me occupied.

Enjoy your new treat, and click safely.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 05:29 PM

Originally posted by JB72:
hehe.

Congratz on the phone Peter! Nice. I'll prolly be right behind you w/ a T68i myself. It seems to be calling me, and I'll just stare at the T610 all year if I don't have something to keep me occupied.

Enjoy your new treat, and click safely.
well according to the 'secret' t68i menu, my joystick has been moved 6005 times, in two days!
What are your guys joystick count at?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2003, 06:11 PM

well according to the 'secret' t68i menu, my joystick has been moved 6005 times, in two days!
What are your guys joystick count at?
Mine's at 17282. Of course, I bought the phone used.

Has anyone been able to get into the Snake game? It doesn't seem to want to work for me.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 06:26 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
Mine's at 17282. Of course, I bought the phone used.

Has anyone been able to get into the Snake game? It doesn't seem to want to work for me.
what snake game? where?

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 9, 2003, 06:33 PM

thats only in the t68. Just looked it up

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 9, 2003, 06:52 PM

Since I will be using this phone to actually make calls, it sounds like the slow key responses and dialing difficulties will be a problem. I'm not looking for a toy, but a phone I can actually use.
It was a pain at first - but frankly, I don't really notice it anymore. Its slow primarily in that a bunch of extra dialogs come up that don't need to. Other than that...keypresses are quick.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 07:48 PM

Originally posted by alex_kac:
It was a pain at first - but frankly, I don't really notice it anymore. Its slow primarily in that a bunch of extra dialogs come up that don't need to. Other than that...keypresses are quick.
My problem was with dialing. You can easily out-pace the phone if you dial too fast. Then you end up with missing numbers. Bummer.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2003, 07:59 PM

Does anyone have a usb bluetooth module? if so what model do you have working with OS X.2.4? anyone got this one?
This looks like the one-to-watch to me. It's not shipping yet, but check out the range: 100 m.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2003, 08:38 PM

thats only in the t68. Just looked it up
Really? I thought it was a secret feature that you got to through Erix. That's what I've read anyway.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by nonhuman:
Really? I thought it was a secret feature that you got to through Erix. That's what I've read anyway.
There are secret games in t68i. Apparently there is a secret block game in 'Q' T68i Secrets Site

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 02:31 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
This looks like the one-to-watch to me. It's not shipping yet, but check out the range: 100 m.
I am looking for the cheapest OS X bluetooth device. Range isn't realy a worry

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Mar 10, 2003, 02:42 PM

My problem was with dialing. You can easily out-pace the phone if you dial too fast. Then you end up with missing numbers. Bummer.
Yep, that's what I've been hearing (a T-Mobile rep said the same thing). If you make a lot of calls, I think not being able to dial quickly would be a bit of a problem.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 02:57 PM

I was playing around with the t68i, if I type in my home phone number as fast as possible it keeps up. It is also very good with text messages. It is a slight problem that you have to hit the joystick right to make a space, I prefer typing 0 or somthing.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 04:10 PM

to type a space I just press the 1 button.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 04:46 PM

Originally posted by littlegreenspud:
to type a space I just press the 1 button.
excellent! never knew that, this phone has no flaws

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 04:49 PM

I was playing around with the t68i, if I type in my home phone number as fast as possible it keeps up.
Just type 212 or 323 quickly. Don't watch the screen. Type it like on a keyboard or touchtone phone. I regularly would dial and hit send, put the phone to my ear and wait. Then I'd look at the last number dialed and see only 6 digits, because it missed an in-between digit: 212 would be 22, 323 > 33.
While on the subject... Try turning on and off the phone SEVERAL times VERY quickly WITHOUT waiting for the end of each power cycle. When turning it off, power it back on before it is completely off (abuse it) and back off before it comes all the way on again and repeat this a few times. Crash. You'll need to remove the battery. This can easily happen with the phone in your pocket/bag. Locking the keys should be the solution, but I found my phone fully crashed a few times while in my pocket WITH the keys locked. Go figure.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 04:58 PM

Just type 212 or 323 quickly. Don't watch the screen. Type it like on a keyboard or touchtone phone. I regularly would dial and hit send, put the phone to my ear and wait. Then I'd look at the last number dialed and see only 6 digits, because it missed an in-between digit: 212 would be 22, 323 > 33.
While on the subject... Try turning on and off the phone SEVERAL times VERY quickly WITHOUT waiting for the end of each power cycle. When turning it off, power it back on before it is completely off (abuse it) and back off before it comes all the way on again and repeat this a few times. Crash. You'll need to remove the battery. This can easily happen with the phone in your pocket/bag. Locking the keys should be the solution, but I found my phone fully crashed a few times while in my pocket WITH the keys locked. Go figure.
Hmm I think I'll skip doing that, no matter what you say I love this damn phone The tiny size and features are just the best.
90% of all owners have had no problems with the phone. Meh.

I Bent My Wookiee
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 05:54 PM

While on the subject... Try turning on and off the phone SEVERAL times VERY quickly WITHOUT waiting for the end of each power cycle. When turning it off, power it back on before it is completely off (abuse it) and back off before it comes all the way on again and repeat this a few times. Crash.
Why in the name of hell would anyone do that and how can you act surprised if it messes up?

"Barwaraaawww"

ph0ust
Senior User
Mar 10, 2003, 05:56 PM

Peter,

Thanks,

Joel
my fiancee has this phone and i would have to say that it has without a doubt the worst menu system ever created. you would seriously think that the designers had never looked at another phone. having had motorola and nokia phones the differences in navigation are amazing. just my two cents...

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 06:13 PM

Originally posted by I Bent My Wookiee:
Why in the name of hell would anyone do that and how can you act surprised if it messes up?
Because, as I stated clearly, it just happened by itself in my pocket, with the keys LOCKED. In trying to figure out the cause of this problem, I found that this repetitive power cycling does it. I can't say for sure that this was the cause of my phone crashes, but that would only imply that the crash could be caused by more than one thing. Even worse. Also, all the T68i (Playboy) features are nice and all, but if it is not a reliable phone, then what's the point? I can beat on my Nokia all day with no problems. It always works. And yes, a PHONE that crashes regularly and predictably suprises me. Fragility should not be the price for features.

Oh, and I agree w/ the above poster's view of the menu structure: lame.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 10, 2003, 08:01 PM

Because, as I stated clearly, it just happened by itself in my pocket, with the keys LOCKED. In trying to figure out the cause of this problem, I found that this repetitive power cycling does it. I can't say for sure that this was the cause of my phone crashes, but that would only imply that the crash could be caused by more than one thing. Even worse. Also, all the T68i (Playboy) features are nice and all, but if it is not a reliable phone, then what's the point? I can beat on my Nokia all day with no problems. It always works. And yes, a PHONE that crashes regularly and predictably suprises me. Fragility should not be the price for features.

Oh, and I agree w/ the above poster's view of the menu structure: lame.
Yes locking the phone would fix the on off problem and in 5 months my t68i never crashed once.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2003, 08:20 PM

Originally posted by Severed Hand of Skywalker:
Yes locking the phone would fix the on off problem and in 5 months my t68i never crashed once.
Ok, one more time around for the cheap seats... LOCKING THE KEYS DID NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM. I still would find my phone crashed after taking it out of my pocket. The guy who sold me the phone didn't believe me either, so he carried his around in his pocket for a while. Guess what... crash. It's just a fragile phone.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2003, 08:51 PM

I've had my T68i for little over week now. At first I was quite annoyed by the menu system. I've had both Nokia and Ericsson phones in the past, my last being the really nice Nokia 810, and the Nokia menus are by far the better of the two. And it doesn't help that the T68i manual sucks.

But after a while the phone does grow on you. Nice size, ok screen. and good set of features. The new silver and metallic blue finish is quite stylish, far better than their original white and pale blue.

When I first arrived home with my new phone a parcel from Apple was waiting for me contaning the D-Link bluetooth adapter. What a geeky afternoon that was.

I've since set up GSM modem calls. I spent over an hour on the phone with Apple tech as at first I just couldn't connect. The Apple online instructions are all wrong. They incorrectly tell you select the Ericsson R520 19.2 modem script. The 9.6 or infrared are the ones that work. But the main problem was when Apple tech told me to go to the Serial tab in the Bluetooth pref pane. But I couldn't see any serial tab. Reinstalling was suggested. Sod that, I only performed a re-install the week before. He said he could see the tab on his Mac, spoke to someone else and finally suggested I should try the other script. Well, that worked, but still no serial tab.

Well guess what? There is now freaking serial tab in 10.2.4. I found this out myself after digging around the Apple boards afterwards.

Phew, this post is almost as long as I spent with their techs. Anyway, bear in mind what I've said when you get your bluetooth adapter.

Simon X
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2003, 08:57 PM

P.S. Could someone email me the SE animated logo screensaver. I was so annoyed figuring out the phone and its menu system when I first got it that I just gave up and performed a master rese. Well, a didn't notice in the manual were it said that some of the images and what not would dissapear afterwards.

Just wanted to see it again.

Anybody?

Thanks.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2003, 03:50 AM

You might want to drop by this site if you have a chance.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Mar 11, 2003, 05:47 AM

I swapped from a nokia to the T68i and I have to say that the organisation of the menus is far better than the nokia.

With the nokia I would always have to refer to the manual to find out where the feature I wanted was!

for example a friend and I spent hours trying to find out how to change the background picture on his 7650. And guess what, yes you can do it but it is not in the screen/display menu - no it much more logical to put it in the standby menu!

Nokia make some nice phones but their menu layout sucks big time for me.

just my 2 pence.

Riddler
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2003, 11:00 AM

Regarding the T68i interface speed, I believe this was improved in later revisions of the software, I think the R6A realease is meant to to be faster. You can check your software revision at the service menu and get it updated at a SE Service Centre. I'm going to take mine to be updated in a few weeks.

The T68i is the first SE phone I've owned after several Nokia (7210, 8210, 8310) It takes some getting used to the interface but you simply can't beat it for features. The one thing I'd change is the screen, if it was a 65K color screen it would be great but with only a limited 256 color palette it's not great, especially when used with the MCA-20 camera. I was really annoyed the pics taken with the camera were so bad until:

a. I increased the color saturation in the Camera's hidden menu.
b. Viewed an image on my G4 and Tungsten.

Only on a decent screen to you appreciate the camera attachment, it matches the image quality of my wifes Nokia 7650, only the T68i screen lets it down.
Riddler

PowerBook G4 1.5GHz + MacPro 2.66 1900XT

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2003, 12:15 PM

After using the t68i for 2 days now I realy do love it! I switched from a 5210, and this phone is so much nicer The screensaver is kinda annoying, but when the keypad is locked its usually in my pocket so it doesn't matter that much. Hmph I think some people are a bit odd, calling a mobile phone slow
I also love the ability to have many numbers for one name, very useful.

swanic5n
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2003, 12:56 PM

Several people have mentioned Sony Clicker. It's nice, but I like a freeware alternative called Romeo . It lacks some of the features of Sony Clicker, but it's still in early development. Besides, it's free.

Peter  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2003, 01:03 PM

Originally posted by swanic5n:
Several people have mentioned Sony Clicker. It's nice, but I like a freeware alternative called Romeo . It lacks some of the features of Sony Clicker, but it's still in early development. Besides, it's free.
I am still looking for a cheap Bluetooth adapter. Everywhere I look they have ran out of stock
perhaps DLink have supply problems in the UK ???

Forum Links
Forum Rules